Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #1
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
highlighted text in kindle book

Just read my first book on my new kindle 3 wi fi and I love it. Just wondering why it occasionally has a number and some random highlighted text that is underlined with the option to remove the number but the text still remains underlined. No big deal but can't figure out WHY.
Thanks
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 3, Lenovo Tab 4 8" (formerly many others)
That's the "popular highlights" feature. If a lot of readers highlight the same passage, it gets tagged as a "popular highlight" in the Amazon database and that's what you see. You can turn it off in the general settings (second page) if you are not interested.
macminer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 06:53 PM   #3
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
Most useless feature ever!
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:59 PM   #4
flhden
flhden
flhden began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs300, Kindle 3 wi fi, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
That's the "popular highlights" feature. If a lot of readers highlight the same passage, it gets tagged as a "popular highlight" in the Amazon database and that's what you see. You can turn it off in the general settings (second page) if you are not interested.
Thank you very much. I would have never found that as I didn't know there was more than 1 settings page. It's not a big distraction but I'm anal about knowing why things do what they do.
Thanks Again
flhden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 06:20 AM   #5
macminer
Connoisseur
macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.macminer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Most useless feature ever!
In most situations - yes. But I imagine it may come useful in books like textbooks. If you're preparing for an exam and see that many people highlight the same passage, then it is perhaps important and worth noting. If you're just reading fiction, it can be quite distracting.
Advert
Old 10-22-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
In most situations - yes. But I imagine it may come useful in books like textbooks. If you're preparing for an exam and see that many people highlight the same passage, then it is perhaps important and worth noting. If you're just reading fiction, it can be quite distracting.
Because textbooks are never distributed exclusively as PDF which this feature won't ever work with anyways? OH right.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:36 PM   #7
macminer
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by curstpriest View Post
Because textbooks are never distributed exclusively as PDF which this feature won't ever work with anyways? OH right.
Amazon's own category:
Books › Reference › Education › Test Guides - College & University

Results:
Kindle Books: 139
PDF: 2
Printed books: 3183

Or another:
Books › Reference › Education
Kindle Books (4,276)
PDF (15)
Printed Books (40,576)

Mind we are not talking about what format a particular college uses (the ones you know might indeed use exclusively PDFs, the ones I know - typically MSWord ), but about a Kindle feature, and here the statistics is 139 Kindle Books to 2 PDFs or 4276 Kindle Books to 15 PDFs. Books not bought from Amazon won't ever have the "popular highlights".
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
curstpriest
Confused

Well now, go for it then.

I on the other hand am one of the people when buying used books, will sit there and flip through every page to make sure that the previous owner wasn't a highlight/underline freak - preferably a person who failed the class and didn't use the book at all (as indicated by lack of wear @ the corners of the book)
Old 10-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #9
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
I like highlights.

I like the highlights of others to see what they liked. I also use my own highlights and notes a lot.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 08:21 AM   #10
jgumphress
Connoisseur
jgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-booksjgumphress has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I too learned about this feature through this forum. I posted the same question. Also, I do not care for the highlights to be visable while reading. It is distracting to me and makes the screen look clutered. Thanks for the wonderful info you people provide for us.
jgumphress is offline   Reply With Quote