Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 02:10 AM   #1
JPD
JPD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
kindle can't open pdf from calibre due to unsupported embeds

I transferred about 50 assorted pdfs from calibre to my kindle dx (no conversion, straight pdfs). When I try to open them on the kindle, every one gives a message, 'this pdf cannot be opened dut to embedded features not yet supported by kindle'. Many of these pdfs I had previously installed on the kindle by synching and dragging from my desktop, and they opened fine. After discovering calibre, I deleted them from the kindle, put them in calibre, and completed all their metadata. Since the metadata is the one obvious change, I suspect the problem may lie there, but can't imagine why. I apologize if this thread already exists; I did a search, and brief scan, without seeing anything similar.
JPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
After discovering calibre, I deleted them from the kindle, put them in calibre, and completed all their metadata. Since the metadata is the one obvious change, I suspect the problem may lie there, but can't imagine why.
This is easy enough to test out. Go to Preferences - Plugins - Metadata Writer plugins and disable the PDF metadata writer plugin. Then delete and resend all of your troubled PDFs to your Kindle. This way there is no doubt calibre is not writing to the file.

Quote:
I apologize if this thread already exists; I did a search, and brief scan, without seeing anything similar.
You didn't find anything similar because no one has ever (at least in the last 20 months) stated anything along the lines of what you have concluded.

Let us know how it works the second time around.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #3
JPD
JPD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thank you for the diagnostic. They do indeed open fine on my kindle dx now with the pdf metadata writer plugin disabled. The only thing at all 'exotic' I did with the metadata was to enter a lot of it in bulk, eg maybe 20 titles all had same author, tag and series, etc. Is there anything I should look for? Is there anyplace I can send one of the files so I can post a link to it for someone to examine?
JPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 06:42 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Thank you for the diagnostic. They do indeed open fine on my kindle dx now with the pdf metadata writer plugin disabled. The only thing at all 'exotic' I did with the metadata was to enter a lot of it in bulk, eg maybe 20 titles all had same author, tag and series, etc. Is there anything I should look for? Is there anyplace I can send one of the files so I can post a link to it for someone to examine?
You can find out how to submit a bug report here. Make sure to attach a PDF file and include a detailed description of your problem. Hopefully it will be possible to easily fix.

Did any of the titles or authors have unique characters that the Kindle doesn't like?

Until then search and see if other metadata editors will work for you.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-29-2010 at 06:47 PM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote