Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Related Tools

Notices

Old 01-08-2017, 01:27 PM   #1
iprivacy
iprivacy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation Program tha doesn't harvest IPs?

I read on the Calibre blog recently that Calibre harvests user IPs.

Their excuse was that they do this to know which countries users use Calibre in. But if this is really their justification for harvesting user IPs then there is no need to do so, as country can be found out during the download, by having the user select country.

So can anyone recommend an alternative that is not an invasion of privacy?
iprivacy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
and you don't think Google doesn't?
even using MR links to ads

Kovid states he only COUNTS IP's
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:02 PM   #3
iprivacy

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
and you don't think Google doesn't?
Uh...no I think Google does too, but what does this question have to do with Calibre's behavior, other than to attempt to draw attention away from it?

Quote:
even using MR links to ads
Again: what does this have to do with Calibre's behavior other than to draw attention away from it?

Quote:
Kovid states he only COUNTS IP's
The statement from Calibre I linked to clearly says:

Quote:
The only data calibre will send outside your device without asking is anonymous: your IP address (just to find out in which country you use calibre), the program’s version and your operating system.
That is more than "only COUNTING" IPs.
Old 01-08-2017, 03:18 PM   #4
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Download the source, read and find where this data is sent, remove, recompile and you're set to go.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:36 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by iprivacy View Post
Uh...no I think Google does too, but what does this question have to do with Calibre's behavior, other than to attempt to draw attention away from it?

Again: what does this have to do with Calibre's behavior other than to draw attention away from it?

The statement from Calibre I linked to clearly says:

That is more than "only COUNTING" IPs.
No, just pointing out that what IS collected is not intrusive.

I see ads for sites my wife visits on HER PC. That means, the WAN IP was saved, and not a cookie.

Picking Nit's?
he is counting for stats, Not SAVING individual values.
What are you hiding. Your OS level?
My sig already mentions all the ones I use
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@iprivacy - try defining a firewall rule that prevents calibre from calling home, here's how to do on Windows ==>> How to stop an application from phoning home? - should work, I sometimes use calibre unplugged.

You have the liberty not to use calibre. You also have the liberty to download the source, exorcise the code that bothers you, and run the application from that code. The exercise of those liberties won't cost you a brass razoo. Nor would you have inform anyone you had exercised your liberties - providing you abide by the conditions of the GPL V2 license.

Perhaps if you had not impugned Kovid Goyal's character he might have even told you where the relevant lines of code are located. But given your possibly libellous opening post he might be minded to sue you instead.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2017, 04:37 PM   #7
iprivacy

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Perhaps if you had not impugned Kovid Goyal's character he might have even told you where the relevant lines of code are located. But given your possibly libellous opening post he might be minded to sue you instead.

BR
Curious, are false accusations of 'potential libel' themselves potentially libelous?
Old 01-08-2017, 05:01 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Curious, are false accusations of 'potential libel' themselves potentially libelous?
Guess what - you also have the liberty to sue me, I look forward to reading your despotition [sic]

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 01-08-2017 at 05:17 PM. Reason: It's hard enough to spell things correctly, even harder to mispell them, deliberately ;)
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 05:29 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Their excuse was that they do this to know which countries users use Calibre in. But if this is really their justification for harvesting user IPs then there is no need to do so, as country can be found out during the download, by having the user select country.
There is no excuse, country data is the reason as stated in the blog you linked to. Your alternative solution is not adequate since he wants to track active installs. Over the course of years I have downloaded calibre well over 200 times yet I am only 1 active install.

Quote:
So can anyone recommend an alternative that is not an invasion of privacy?
There is nothing I'm aware of on par with calibre and certainly none with a stricter privacy policy.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote