Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2014, 05:46 AM   #46
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
And Feedbooks.com? They will often sell you books others won't.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:58 AM   #47
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
And Feedbooks.com? They will often sell you books others won't.
Hm. The few times I've looked there, they either don't have the book (mostly the case) or it's more expensive than either Amazon or Kobo-with-a-coupon, but it's worth keeping in mind, I guess.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:02 AM   #48
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yapyap View Post
Hm. The few times I've looked there, they either don't have the book (mostly the case) or it's more expensive than either Amazon or Kobo-with-a-coupon, but it's worth keeping in mind, I guess.
You probably already do, but check the publisher sites. It's usually the smaller ones (Carina Press, Samhain, individual authors) that have good deals but I have found sales on Penguin (once) and one other site. Best to check near release dates because that is when I've seen the deals--they are usually part of some kind of promo when it comes to the big guys.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 11:51 AM   #49
Yapyap
Guru
Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yapyap ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad 3, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearMountainBooks View Post
You probably already do, but check the publisher sites. It's usually the smaller ones (Carina Press, Samhain, individual authors) that have good deals but I have found sales on Penguin (once) and one other site. Best to check near release dates because that is when I've seen the deals--they are usually part of some kind of promo when it comes to the big guys.
I check some publisher sites at times, but usually they're either not of interest to me (most small publishers; there are exceptions, such as Angry Robot, but their books tend to be cheaper on Amazon or Kobo-with-a-coupon) or they're geo-restricted (like your Penguin example).

If I was into romance, this might be more relevant as romance publishers seem to be better about selling books outside the major shops, but as I'm neither into romance nor into the majority of what Baen offers, well.
Yapyap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 12:27 PM   #50
BearMountainBooks
Maria Schneider
BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BearMountainBooks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3g Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I check some publisher sites at times, but usually they're either not of interest to me (most small publishers; there are exceptions, such as Angry Robot, but their books tend to be cheaper on Amazon or Kobo-with-a-coupon) or they're geo-restricted (like your Penguin example).

If I was into romance, this might be more relevant as romance publishers seem to be better about selling books outside the major shops, but as I'm neither into romance nor into the majority of what Baen offers, well.
Agreed. I like Angry Robot too and follow them on twitter. They announce sales and specials (but in my case most are in the UK--signed books and the like). I haven't bought at Baen in a while either. I tend to like their older titles more than the newer ones. I have found a decent UF on Carina Press although their main line is romance. Julie Moffet is with them too -- she's zany cozy/humor, and there are some other mystery writers with them too, but I do have to really pick and choose...

It will get better. I am convinced that the smart publishers are going to market more and more often direct.
BearMountainBooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #51
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
I only bought three books from Diesel, all late last year, and also got well over a dozen e-mails, so it doesn't seem to be at all corresponding to how many books one bought from there.
Where as I have 57 books (going back to 2009) in my Diesel library and got zero emails.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 04:54 PM   #52
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Where as I have 57 books (going back to 2009) in my Diesel library and got zero emails.
No emails here, and I've got something like 15-20 books in there. I didn't check though, as I download everything at the time of purchase.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:02 PM   #53
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
That's too bad. I bought a few books from Diesel; they sold internationally, and I used them occasionally when the price was right… the large stores force you to use their local retailer and they usually ask for the US price $=€+2 - or don't offer it at all if it's not Amazon. And the large retailers don't let you buy on their US sites at all...
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #54
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
It seems the newer ebook stores are app based. Zola, Copia, Oyster, Blinkbox. Is it possible to download their ebooks to a PC, remove DRM and back-up your purchases?
Not familiar with Zola, but Copia does use Adobe DRM. Oyster is a "Netflix for books", so their books are only readable via their app (iOS only I think). Blinkbox looks like it might be similar to Oyster.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 09:15 PM   #55
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Not familiar with Zola, but Copia does use Adobe DRM. Oyster is a "Netflix for books", so their books are only readable via their app (iOS only I think). Blinkbox looks like it might be similar to Oyster.
Thanks for the Copia info. I couldn't find a way to download the ebooks from their website.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:03 PM   #56
goldilocks
Addict
goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldilocks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
I only signed up with Diesel last year and purchased 8 books. Was planning on getting more... I haven't seen any emails from Diesel either. Oh well. BoB - Sony - Diesel, whose next?

Thanks for posting this info about Diesel. I re-downloaded my eBooks just to have a "fresh" copy.
goldilocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 10:18 PM   #57
Hrafn
Fanatic
Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hrafn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Poke 5, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e 10.5
I've bought a dozen or so books off Diesel in the last few months, no email though. Went onto their website yesterday, and it looks like books-for-sale are disappearing off it, even before the closure.

I used Diesel because it (i) had a significant number of science fiction & fantasy (easily identifiable as) DRM-free & (ii) it would sell outside the US (quite frequently even books that their site listed as US-only).

They, Baen & Mundania Press are the only ebookstores I've bought a significant number off. I'll probably be looking at Feedbooks, who seem to have similar coverage, as a replacement.
Hrafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:22 AM   #58
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by MickiTee View Post
If you can't see your books in the Bookshelf, don't forget to change the 'By order date' to ALL and click on 'Filter' in the filter section at the top of page.
This, very much. By default, they only show you what you've bought over the last 30 days.

I'm pretty sure I've downloaded all the stuff I've bought through Diesel - much of which was Tom Holt's backlist, which I know I did - but I'm going to check in detail later today.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:12 PM   #59
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
Thanks for the Copia info. I couldn't find a way to download the ebooks from their website.
Took me a second to be able to find it again. I think when you purchase, you are offered the option to download, but there doesn't seem to be a way (at least not an obvious one) to download from your library. If you go to Settings and Purchase History, there's a Download Again button.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2014, 03:33 PM   #60
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by hwlester View Post
Took me a second to be able to find it again. I think when you purchase, you are offered the option to download, but there doesn't seem to be a way (at least not an obvious one) to download from your library. If you go to Settings and Purchase History, there's a Download Again button.
Thank you. Copia wanted me to install their Copia for PC to access the books. You have shown me that I don't have to do so.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote