Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM   #16
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelover View Post
This device wont be successful because its small screen size and is a failure even if launched in worldwide market by Apple
Yes, because no one would ever be interested in the convenience of seeing who was calling, the From and Subject of an email or an iMessage, or seeing status updates and tweets without taking out their phones.

They could sell a couple million based solely on brand, another couple million based on the newness and the need / want of some people to have the newest toy, and a couple million more on the WTF factor, as in "What the frack, I can afford $xxx and more!".
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 11:00 AM   #17
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by david_e View Post
Yes, because no one would ever be interested in the convenience of seeing who was calling, the From and Subject of an email or an iMessage, or seeing status updates and tweets without taking out their phones.

They could sell a couple million based solely on brand, another couple million based on the newness and the need / want of some people to have the newest toy, and a couple million more on the WTF factor, as in "What the frack, I can afford $xxx and more!".
Yes! Absolutely! And who would want to be stuck with 2,000,000/item sales anyway?

Apple could sell farts and make money with it...and clients would rush in to breathe'em!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 05:17 AM   #18
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindles, lenovo, chromebook, mobiles
my grandmother wore watch as pendant necklace
it chimed

heavy gold and silver and jewels - expensive

her brother mined the metals himself
forsooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:21 AM   #19
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I made a mockup awhile ago out of pure boredom. I'm thinking of like something that would be called the iStyle/iWear . Wear it as a brooch, a necklace, a watch, on your pants like a Shuffle, on your bag, whatever.

I load flashcards into the photo section of the current 7th gen, it works for me! To be good for photos, this would need to be slightly bigger than the 6th gen I think.

I'm wearing one right now, and have been for a year or so - the Sony SmartWatch. It comes with a watch strap or you can unclip it and attach it to a pocket, bag or whatever.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post
I'm wearing one right now, and have been for a year or so - the Sony SmartWatch. It comes with a watch strap or you can unclip it and attach it to a pocket, bag or whatever.

Andrew
Neat! How do you wear and use it?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:37 AM   #21
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by andyh2000 View Post

Andrew
I'm curious about this. How long does a charge last on this?
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 AM   #22
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Yeah, heard about the Sony SmartWatch, but those things are hit and miss with other hardware that's not made for it in mind. Wasn't about to spend over $100+ only for it not to work with my phone.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #23
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Yeah, heard about the Sony SmartWatch, but those things are hit and miss with other hardware that's not made for it in mind. Wasn't about to spend over $100+ only for it not to work with my phone.
Oh, now I see, it has to be connected to an Android phone to work, right? Bluetooth I guess?
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #24
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceArt View Post
Oh, now I see, it has to be connected to an Android phone to work, right? Bluetooth I guess?
Yeah. And Bluetooth isn't very friendly. It drains batteries pretty fast.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 10:01 AM   #25
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Neat! How do you wear and use it?
I wear it as a watch, and mostly use it to tell the time and receive notifications of new Twitter, Facebook and SMS messages. It also reminds me of calendar appointments and I use it to display small text notes (e.g. a code received by email to pick up a parcel from an Amazon locker). For all these uses it save taking my phone out of my pocket, unlocking it and finding the right app or swiping down to look at notifications.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
Ah, that's one of it's weaker features. With my light usage I usually get three or four days out of a charge but when I first got it and was fiddling a lot it only lasted a day. And that leads onto the reason it isn't very good as a timepiece - to conserve battery power you have to push the side button to show the time. You can have it on constantly but you'd be recharging very frequently. Using bluetooth also drains the phone battery a bit, but I have to recharge that every day anyway so it doesn't make any practical difference to me.

Quote:
Yes I've heard it's a bit picky about what phones it works with. I've got a Sony Ericsson Xperia so as you'd expect it works well. Also some of the bad press about it is left over from Sony's first try (called Liveview) which looked almost identical but was frankly rubbish. It was flaky even with a Sony phone and basically was unusable. The SmartWatch is much better especially now it's had several firmware upgrades. As for price they cost a lot less now - I bought mine for about £80 last year.

Quote:
Yes it's really just a peripheral screen with basic touch capability, accelerometers (tilt meters) and a vibrator, and connects to your phone via bluetooth.

Edited to add: I forgot to mention the main reason I bought it. Several years ago we had the first of a series of severe winter cold periods and I couldn't cycle to work as normal. The buses were in a mess and I bought a massive polar expedition type coat to keep me warm standing at the bus stop at minus 10 degrees Celsius. It turns out I can't hear (or feel the vibration of) my mobile when it's buried deep in the pocket of my coat, and one evening I was about two hours late getting home due to the aforementioned buses. My wife had rung me four or five times and got no response, and by the time I walked in the door she was on the phone to the local hospital to see if I'd been found dead in a snow drift...

Now when my mobile rings my SmartWatch vibrates, I don't miss any calls and my wife doesn't have a heart attack.

Of course I'm also a gadget freak so it appeals to me - I've just written my first extension app for the SmartWatch using the SDK Sony provide.

Andrew

Last edited by andyh2000; 04-12-2013 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Mention main reason for buying
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 11:57 AM   #26
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Yeah. And Bluetooth isn't very friendly. It drains batteries pretty fast.
That's what BT4.0 addresses.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #27
forsooth
tec montage
forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.forsooth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yvanleterrible View Post
I read: 24 hours
Old 04-13-2013, 05:43 AM   #28
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsooth View Post
my grandmother wore watch as pendant necklace
it chimed

heavy gold and silver and jewels - expensive

her brother mined the metals himself
forgot-
watch now in museum
was donated
proud family!

poor grandchild!
Old 04-14-2013, 11:32 AM   #29
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Well, I am waiting for a good watch that is also practical, not just glamorous.

I used to collect watches. Vintage. Strange. Expensive (maybe genuine) ones I got cheap in some out of the way places in the world.

Most of those are gone, as I have been clearing up stuff for my move to my next and smaller houseboat. A converted trawler. I sold some. I gave some away. I kept a few really nice old ones that will be inherited some day. They are worth a good bit, but I will give them to someone that will keep them, not sell them, Actually in a safe deposit box waiting for that day.

But now, a new data watch that will survive at least 2 days, if not 3 without a charge would be nice. I don't need voice communication in it, though voice commands would be nice. "Appointments today?" I would like GPS, compass, heart, to do lists, and reminders at least.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
forsooth
tec montage

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilelover View Post
This device wont be successful because its small screen size and is a failure even if launched in worldwide market by Apple
Not So!