Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-05-2013, 06:51 PM   #76
mcquackers
mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.mcquackers can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle DXGizlle
Make sure you set the hyperterminal settings correctly via the directions. Make sure you can connect via a com port and you have the baud rate set correctly. I have no idea if you fried it or note, I only used a 1.8v which I knew would work.
mcquackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:55 PM   #77
Rasbor
Rasbor began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcquackers View Post
Thank You.
But I tried this link.
It's died - that's a reason of my request here.
Rasbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 01:13 AM   #78
blanketfighter
blanketfighter began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
wanted to thank you guys for your posts on the forum and any guides you made, got my dx up and running after a day of learning the ins and outs of Ubuntu!

I followed Yifan Lu's debricking guide and with a little help from McQuackers My DX is up and running!

For the record I used this Serial Connector : http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/...252bb/GLoFR6IZ

Connected from the headphone jack to the left: 4. Black (grnd) 3. Yellow (RXD) 2. Orange (TXD)

Also I would like to note that If I ever find myself doing this again I will invest in a soldering iron.
blanketfighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:00 AM   #79
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasbor View Post
Thank You.
But I tried this link.
It's died - that's a reason of my request here.
http://yifan.lu/2011/04/02/recovering-a-formatted-or-corrupt-kindle-2/

seems to work fine for me. Here it is as a live link.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 09:01 AM   #80
bluesk
bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

Device: Kindle dx
Help with dxg undemoing

Hi progress has been made.My usb adapter was junk.I ordered a real serial adapter with the max 232 chip,Put on a 3v external power,I am reading the characters in the windows terminal.However I cannot send files.in Uboot I tried to send files It says no response from the remote system.Anybody have an idea or a workaround?Thanks
bluesk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 10:19 AM   #81
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesk View Post
Hi progress has been made.My usb adapter was junk.I ordered a real serial adapter with the max 232 chip,Put on a 3v external power,I am reading the characters in the windows terminal.However I cannot send files.in Uboot I tried to send files It says no response from the remote system.Anybody have an idea or a workaround?Thanks
You stand a good chance of junking your Kindle if you don't run the interface at its designed value of 1.8 volts.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:38 PM   #82
xcomme
xcomme began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, DXG
Anybody knows where to order a serial adapter with 1.8 volts?
xcomme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:00 PM   #83
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by xcomme View Post
Anybody knows where to order a serial adapter with 1.8 volts?
Get a https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...7&postcount=68

1.8v remember... check the voltage.

but seriously - I just read back this thread to get these links??? (its only 6 pages)
maybe do a bit of hunting yourself

seek and ye shall find.

Last edited by twobob; 04-03-2013 at 02:10 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 10:44 AM   #84
bluesk
bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.bluesk 's shirt has a full set of merit badges.

You don't need 1.8v adapter for DXG.
I used this method https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=49942
For power I used 1.5v,3v,5v. Two AA bateries .Worked best with 3v.The adapter in e bay is 2$ .Hyperterminal in windows xp works best.Theoretically you might not even need the adapter.If you have the password you might login from kindle developer menu,and be able to see the 4 partitions in linux I cannot confirm this because I don't want to brick my kindle again.In the end my serial console was acting out but it might have been because I changed the hyperterminal program .
Old 03-06-2013, 02:42 AM   #85
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Warning: If you don't really know what you are doing, don't always expect to succeed. In this case: Be prepared to break your DXG. 3 Volts is above the voltage used and may always break the device. I really, really consider this bad advice.

That said, well, it didn't break for you. Of course it worked best with 3 volts. That's due to the operational specifications for your typical MAX232, which are at 5 volts. For 3 Volts there's the MAX3232. For 1.8V, typically a ttl voltage converter is needed. Everything else is a dirty hack, so be prepared to pay the price (a high one in case of a KDX, if you ask me). Purely singular-evidence based advice like this is a bit out of place here, I think. And please, don't follow the suggestion to use no adapter at all. 9 volts differential signals are not what a typical SoC will tolerate. You have been warned.

Also note that RX and TX are two different matters when you go over voltage. If your adapter is tolerant, it might still receive data from the Kindle when it has long fried the receiver on the Kindle by transmitting with too high voltage.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #86
bluesk

hawhill is right.I am telling from my experience.The voltage in Tx Rx was 2.8v when I measured and everybody here talks about 1.8v.As I said you might not need the adapter you need an usb cable and the instructions here.https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=25

When you hit 3 do it from the developers menu alt+E=3 give password and continue from usb in Linux.Maybe I am wrong as I typed from the hyperterminal in the serial adapter but I think I understand the process now.I followed this instructions and was success.In the end I ended up spending the same money as buying a used one in Craig list buy the fun it was worth it.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:56 PM   #87
cw30000
cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'cw30000 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Paperwhite
can the DXG demo still able to register with amazon.com? I read the image is blacklisted and it can no longer be registered with amazon.com
cw30000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:39 PM   #88
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
can the DXG demo still able to register with amazon.com? I read the image is blacklisted and it can no longer be registered with amazon.com
After you Un-Demo it, yes.
Old 06-03-2013, 07:27 AM   #89
zram
zram began at the beginning.

Device: none
Unhappy please!

Can somebody share dump of DXG?
zram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 09:08 AM   #90
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by cw30000 View Post
The DX image that we (at one time) had posted was mis-used, resulting in all DX devices using that image to be black-listed.

The owner of that image, removed it from our collections (rightly so) and followed the legal process in his country to get his own DX re-registered by Amazon.

The process described in this thread duplicates the storage area in the DX that contains both the owner and the device specific information.
Which was just fine for the original poster - since the O.P. owned the original DX the information was cloned from.

The only suggestion that can be made here is to use the image files that you create yourself from a DX device that you already own.
Try buying one with a broken screen (cheap, since the screen is most of the price), use that firmware to create your own un-demo image files.

Last edited by knc1; 06-03-2013 at 09:11 AM.

Tags
debricking