Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Kobo to publish directly with authors

Kobo to become a publisher. ~ CBC News
Quote:
Canadian-based e-book seller Kobo is following in Amazon's footsteps and creating a publishing arm that will deal directly with authors, CBC News has learned.
Quote:
The head of the Writers' Union of Canada, Greg Hollingshead, expects Amazon and Kobo will gobble up a bunch of business that would otherwise go to traditional publishers.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:43 AM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
LOL.. beat me to it by minutes!

Had heard this on the news and just found the stroy on the web site.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 10:58 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Would they be signing authors to "exclusive" contracts? If so, I'm wondering if that will still be considered "contributing to the downfall of humanity"... or can we safely exempt them since it's only li'l ol' Kobo?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 12:53 PM   #4
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Ooh, evil evil Kobo is cutting publishers out of their good-given right to control the market.
Just like evil evil evil Barnes and Noble!
Just like evil, eviler, evilest, Amazon!
Oh woe!
The end times are upon us!
Or not.

Clearly Indigo/Kobo know which way the hurricane winds are blowing: first Indigo decides to charge publishers to carry/promote their pbooks and now Kobo decides the need to secure some exclusive content of their own supercedes their "loyalty" to traditional publishers. No fools, they're not about to let others decide their fate.

Slightly overdue move but still within the window of oportunity.

Next up: Sony.
Paging Kaz Hirai: time to fish or cut bait, sir!

Last edited by fjtorres; 10-27-2011 at 12:55 PM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Would they be signing authors to "exclusive" contracts? If so, I'm wondering if that will still be considered "contributing to the downfall of humanity"... or can we safely exempt them since it's only li'l ol' Kobo?
Even if Kobo does get authors to sign exclusive contracts, it's OK because they use ePub with standard Adept DRM.

It's like Target exclusive CDs. Everyone with standard hardware can use them.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
Even if Kobo does get authors to sign exclusive contracts, it's OK because they use ePub with standard Adept DRM.
Hello, Double. I'd like you to meet Standard.
Old 10-27-2011, 02:25 PM   #7
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:40 PM   #8
L.J. Sellers
Novelist
L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.L.J. Sellers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
But will authors sign with Kobo if it means they can't publish their books on Amazon? I wouldn't. It's too limiting.
L.J.
L.J. Sellers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:42 PM   #9
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Quote:
I don't think it's necessarily as okay as JSWolf says, but I get his point. I can buy a Kobo book and read it on my Sony reader. or on the Nook. or on a Kobo. That's less restrictive than an Amazon book. (Of course, nowadays, if you have tablets instead you can have the Kindle app on everything, I guess). But because I read on my Sony PRS-505, I can't buy an amazon-exclusive book and read it on my hardware. Not without removing DRM.
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 02:50 PM   #10
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
I doubt this will be the same type of "publishing" platform that Amazon will be launching.

If I had to place I bet, I'd say it will be self-publishing with the option to purchase editing/formatting services. Many self-published authors contract freelancers to do this work for them, but I'm guessing that Kobo will begin to offer these services for a fee. And hopefully it will be completely optional. I could be wrong, but I'd be surprised if it was a locked-in publishing deal.

Last edited by Suzanna; 10-27-2011 at 02:52 PM.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Actually, humor aside (which is lost on format fanatics), I can see exclusive catalogs at some point becoming like patent portfolios; subject to cross-licensing as a way to (legally) squeeze out the generics.

For now and the near term it is (almost) meaningless; nobody has a big enough portfolio of exclusives to matter and none of the exclusives matter enough to sway buyers. It is more of a "show-the-flag" move on Kobo's behalf; a statement that they intend to be a top tier player and will match the big (market share) boys move for move.

Down the road once big-name writers' contracts start expiring and they can bring along their backlists, we *might* see *some* meaningful exclusives if the traditional publishers don't learn how to shed overhead. But even that is a ways off.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 03:25 PM   #12
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I can't buy an amazon-exclusive book and read it on my hardware. Not without removing DRM.
And I can't buy a Kobo exclusive book and read it on my Kindle without removing DRM. That's evil.

Exclusivity is either evil or it isn't... it can't be OK for Kobo to do it, yet evil for Amazon to do it. That's all I meant by a certain someone's double standard.

But we don't even know yet, if these deals will be exclusive (for any length of time), and I can honestly say I don't really care one way or the other. I think everyone should start their own imprint/retail store if they so choose.
Old 10-27-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
spellbanisher
Guru
spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spellbanisher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle keyboard, kindle fire hd, S4, Nook hd+
Quote:

Exclusivity is either evil or it isn't... it can't be OK for Kobo to do it, yet evil for Amazon to do it. That's all I meant by a certain someone's double standard.
That's my favorite kind of standard. Two is always better than one.
spellbanisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:01 PM   #14
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
And I can't buy a Kobo exclusive book and read it on my Kindle without removing DRM. That's evil.
I know you said this tongue-in-cheek; but without commenting on evilness, there is a difference: Kobo is not preventing Kindles from reading ePubs; Amazon is. Kobo's ePubs are readable on devices that support ADE. Amazon has chosen not to. I presume they have also chosen to not license their DRM for other manufacturers (or maybe they have licenses but they're too expensive?)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 05:24 PM   #15
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
if they get some cool exclusive stuff, i'll buy a kobo. which is exactly what they want and i have no problem doing.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kobo, publisher