Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
ePub on the K3???

Since the K3 has been jailbroken and programs are able to be installed and run on the K3, why hasn't anyone done an ePub interpreter for the K3?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:35 AM   #2
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Maybe it's a case of Calibre making it too easy to do the conversion and subsequently there's lots of mobi verisons of ePubs around compared to the relatively complex ePub viewer install?

I also for one would like the K3 to support ePub natively, though admittingly I'd like to see it be with Amazon's approval (hah - I know, I should keep on dreaming).

Paul.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:39 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Maybe it's a case of Calibre making it too easy to do the conversion and subsequently there's lots of mobi verisons of ePubs around compared to the relatively complex ePub viewer install?

I also for one would like the K3 to support ePub natively, though admittingly I'd like to see it be with Amazon's approval (hah - I know, I should keep on dreaming).

Paul.

I'm sure they've considered that........but realized if they did they would OWN the e-book reader market, which they don't want to do.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:43 AM   #4
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, they would own the market on the e-Reader devices but I suspect with Amazon the real profits are the books being bought from their store. If they endorse the ePub reading ability that suddenly lets people buy ebooks from alternative suppliers that will work on their K3 ( to be fair, a lot of authors already offer mobi format books outside of Amazon )

The K3 is the cheap Razor handle... and the books are the blades that they want you to keep on buying (but only their brand!)
Old 10-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
badbob001
Fanatic
badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badbob001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard (rip), Kindle Voyage, Fire Tablet 10 '17, iPad '19
Quote:
The K3 is the cheap Razor handle... and the books are the blades that they want you to keep on buying (but only their brand!)
Yup, this only works if you buy amazon-branded blades. I would not be surprised if Amazon makes very little money on the devices and perhaps is even subsidizing them, especially the 3G version. This may be why they are developing kindle apps for non-kindle devices... less overhead cost to recover.
badbob001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

I agree, after manufacturing costs, shipping, handling returns/support I doubt there's a lot of margin in the K3, even the wifi unit. Those eInk displays are still rather expensive, even if you buy a few million of them.

If Amazon did offer ePub viewing ability I do not think that there would be a mass move away from Amazon as a book supplier - however it's like that the business decision makers aren't willing to risk it.

Paul.
Old 10-09-2010, 08:38 PM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
If Jesse Vincent were interested, he could revamp Savory (or someone else could build upon it).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 10:45 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
If Jesse Vincent were interested, he could revamp Savory (or someone else could build upon it).
Was Savory the conversion to Mobi for the K2? if so, that's not what I am looking for. I'd like someone to write a proper ePub reader for the K3. If a game engine can be written, no reason an ePub viewer cannot as well.

I know Amazon won't officially do it. But if someone does it, it very well may boost sales of the K3 even though it won't support DRM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:03 PM   #9
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
I think we won't see epub on the K2, or K3, because the KDK hackers aren't up to the task.

(There, that ought to light a fire. )

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:16 PM   #10
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Was Savory the conversion to Mobi for the K2? if so, that's not what I am looking for. I'd like someone to write a proper ePub reader for the K3. If a game engine can be written, no reason an ePub viewer cannot as well.

I know Amazon won't officially do it. But if someone does it, it very well may boost sales of the K3 even though it won't support DRM.
Savory did convert non-DRM ePubs on the fly to be read on K2 as well as a more robust PDF reader.

There has been some discussion about an ePub reading app but some think that it won't be allowed because of a clause about no general ebook reading apps allowed. I hope that interpretation is incorrect especially since Amazon owns Stanza and could create a Stanza app.

Quote:
Developer Guidelines

Voice over IP functionality, advertising, offensive materials, collection of customer information without express customer knowledge and consent, or usage of the Amazon or Kindle brand in any way are not allowed. In addition, active content must meet all Amazon technical requirements, not be a generic reader, and not contain malicious code.

We will work to refine the above guidelines throughout the beta.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:14 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Savory did convert non-DRM ePubs on the fly to be read on K2 as well as a more robust PDF reader.

There has been some discussion about an ePub reading app but some think that it won't be allowed because of a clause about no general ebook reading apps allowed. I hope that interpretation is incorrect especially since Amazon owns Stanza and could create a Stanza app.
I did specify a proper ePub display program. That lets out Stanza as Stanza is not really all that wonderful without a lot of work.

Well, as for the clause...not be a generic reader, this is not FBReader. It's a specific reader for ePub only. So technically, that clause may not apply.
Old 10-18-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
I agree, after manufacturing costs, shipping, handling returns/support I doubt there's a lot of margin in the K3, even the wifi unit. Those eInk displays are still rather expensive, even if you buy a few million of them.

If Amazon did offer ePub viewing ability I do not think that there would be a mass move away from Amazon as a book supplier - however it's like that the business decision makers aren't willing to risk it.

Paul.
Take a look at this article:
http://ireaderreview.com/2010/09/17/...ets-kindle-3s/

It's anecdotal but the article cites "$177.66" per device.

Regarding the ePub debate, Sony's eBook store made an overnight switch from its own proprietary format to ePub. Users automatically received new versions of their books in ePub format.

Amazon could follow suit, if they felt having a proprietary format was putting them at a disadvantage.

Personally, I've elected to buy a number of books from sources other than Amazon in order to obtain ePub versions.

In one case, a book from O'Reilly publishing was available less expensively than on Amazon, in DRM-free ePub format, directly from the publisher.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote