Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-25-2020, 04:22 AM   #1
vassiliki
vassiliki began at the beginning.

Device: none
Best e-reader for annotation

Hello everyone!

I am a PhD student and I need to avoid printing so many articles, because it's simply not good for the environment and I have so much paper everywhere.

I need an e-reader (not a tablet, e-ink, no backlighting) where I can underline texts and make annotations and sync notes in another file on my computer (Mac), so maybe something with a keyboard, or touch screen with a pen. Screen size must be comfortable enough to read articles (mostly pdfs) without scrolling left and right. Internet connection preferably but not necessary. Storage space doesn't need to be huge, as I can save the articles on my computer and just bring the e-reader with me when I travel. Budget is 400-500€ I'd say, but generally not the biggest issue.

So, just to sum up:

Must:
  • E-ink
  • possibility to highlight and take notes and sync annotations on a Mac
  • screen large enough to view PDF

Preferences:
  • Internet connection

Thank you everyone! I tried and browse on the internet but I only found information from several years ago and I guess (and hope) situation is different now. Never used an e-reader before, so I can't really suggest a model that I like to make comparisons.

Thank you again
vassiliki
vassiliki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:40 AM   #2
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Sony DPT series or a Remarkable.

The cheaper alternative would be a large Onyx.

(I have no idea how or even if they work with Mac, they should, but apple is... well...)

But, a large iPad would fit better for the usage. Even though I totally agree on the need for e-ink.
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 04:53 AM   #3
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Either the Samsung tablet that has a true stylus, or the Sony eink based "electronic paper". I think the Sony system is for PDFs only, it's not an ereader. I'm not sure if the Sony is Windows Only, certainly you can't use it as USB storage, it only works with the Sony host application.
10" is a minimum, and you really need 12" to 14".
You also need a lot of money.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2020, 07:05 AM   #4
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
You should go with an Android e-ink device, then you can install whichever PDF app suits your needs best. I'd recommend at least a 10 inch screen, anything smaller will be difficult with PDFs. AFAIK, these devices come with a stylus: the Onyx Boox Note models, Boyue Likebook Alita or Boyue Likebook Ares.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:02 AM   #5
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Lost my last post. And the post after that. [why my posts not showing?]

I used an Onyx m96 (9.7") for a similar scenario as you - studying/working @ uni. Saved rain-forests with it. With a screen that size there was no scrolling left/right required for standard academic texts (psych). Onyx's cropping software is good - gets rid of white edges. Fits maybe 3/4 of the page lengthwise.

So... I think the 10.3" readers - Sony Dpt-CP1 (which is on sale), and Onyx Boox Note Note Pro / Note 2 are large enough.

After that you've got the big boys, 13.3" - bigger is better, but less convenient to carry.

There's also Remarkable, but that's less customized for PDF reading.

With my onyx I thought the annotation capability was good. I write small, it was accurate enough (though far from perfect); highlighting etc.

Problem: I don't know about the syncing scenario. I always found connectivity stuff awkward. Could never find bookmarks. However, most of my work was done on the device- i.e. marking-up drafts to edit on PC. I seldom used the export function.

Anyhow, hope that helps.

With those larger readers, there are glass screens and plastic screens, amongst several other options, worth considering which ones are most durable, I think. The Sony's are plastic I think, some onyx are glass / some plastic.
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:49 PM   #6
mitra1
Zealot
mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mitra1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis 2,ONYX boox max lumi
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucyOne View Post
You should go with an Android e-ink device, then you can install whichever PDF app suits your needs best. I'd recommend at least a 10 inch screen, anything smaller will be difficult with PDFs. AFAIK, these devices come with a stylus: the Onyx Boox Note models, Boyue Likebook Alita or Boyue Likebook Ares.
The boyue tablet in this moment isn't good because if i am in a point of page i can't move in direction of another point of page. Hope with new update in march. The cropping is very very good, there's the possibility of view the pdf with lines one above another instead in vary points of pages.
I own a likebook alita
mitra1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2020, 05:08 PM   #7
mtreader
Connoisseur
mtreader began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Nova 2, Kobo Clara
[QUOTE=deleted;3957796]
< Onyx's cropping software is good - gets rid of white edges. Fits maybe 3/4 of the page lengthwise.>

I'm looking at getting a 10" ereader and wonder is cropping ability specific to Onyx or do all larger e-readers have some way of cropping margins on pdfs (or the ability to stay zoomed in on every page)?
mtreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:00 AM   #8
deleted
Enthusiast
deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.deleted ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook simple touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtreader View Post
I'm looking at getting a 10" ereader and wonder is cropping ability specific to Onyx or do all larger e-readers have some way of cropping margins on pdfs (or the ability to stay zoomed in on every page)?

No, they don't all have that function. For example, I believe the Sonys don't.
I'm not up to speed on everything else though.
deleted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #9
mobama
Evangelist
mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 3, Onyx T76ML, Kobo H2O Edition 1, Kobo Mini
[QUOTE=mtreader;3963472]
Quote:
Originally Posted by deleted View Post
< Onyx's cropping software is good - gets rid of white edges. Fits maybe 3/4 of the page lengthwise.>

Pocketbook's default reading app does decent cropping and also decent column mode (e.g. when using old-style newspaper pdfs). Koreader is an app that does cropping even better, but column mode less better. Koreader is easily installed on Pocketbooks, including the newest 10" one https://company.pocketbook.de/de-de/...de/inkpad-x-de
mobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 06:32 AM   #10
AmCom
AmCom began at the beginning.

Hi Vassiliki,

I'm in the same boat. Did you come to a conclusion? I wouldnt get an Ipad. I just got the Ipad Pro and while its a fun device I think its too heavy for long reading sessoins. Unless you want to only use it placed on a desk. I'm thinking about a Note 2 currently. But also considering the onyx 8 inch and 13 inch variants. From what Ive gathered Boox should be the way to go, people keep saying their pdf reader is really good. The important specs are basically:

* 8 inch screen / 260g / 330€ -- nova 2
* 10 inch screen / 370g / 550€ -- note 2
* 13 inch screen / 480g / 830€ -- max 3

you can also get a max 2 for about 650. An Ipad 13 inch weights 650g btw (10 inch is 470).

If you read in plain text like me, I think the 10 inch device might be a sweet spot between portability and easy of use with scanned pdfs / for notation.

Did you make your decision yet?
AmCom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2021, 02:54 AM   #11
vassiliki
vassiliki began at the beginning.

I'm answering almost a year later, sorry for that.
First of all, thank you so so much for your precious help. I still haven't bought it. I printed a lot in the beginning, then felt eco-shame because of that and started to read from my laptop, so my eyes are not happy. With the pandemic and stuff I really need to buy one, no more excuses, and I have decided for Onyx Book Note 3 also thanks to all your suggestions!
Thank you very much for your kind help!
vassiliki is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
annotations, best ereader, eink, ereader, ereader help