Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 11-29-2004, 07:16 AM   #16
Brad
Zealot
Brad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litterBrad doesn't litter

Device: Cybook Gen3 / EB1150 /iPhone
Quote:
I am still unsure but it looks like you can import personal files in txt, html and rtf formats as well as older rb files. If this is true this reader looks like the ticket. Can anyone confirm this?
I can certainly confirm that you can upload and read (.rd) and HTML formats. Both displayed nicely for me. I have not personally tried .txt, RTF or .doc files but I see no reason to doubt eBookwise's word on this since the others display as advertised.

Quote:
Ok, well, the greenish look in the background of the display reminds me of my old Vx, which was very hard to read under 50% of the light conditions one would normally encounter, no matter how big and bold the font would be.
The greenish tint only shows up in the camera flash. With the naked eye, the backlit screen appears white with grey scaled lettering. The grey lettering seems slightly sepia-toned to my eye.

I do most of my reading in the dark at bedtime. But I have tried the reader with a reading lamp on and it is very readable under both conditions.

The half-VGA screen is not very good for graphics at all. The text looks a bit chunky even, but I cannot argue with my own experience: that I am reading faster with the 1150 than on my PDA. The font and the screen size seem to work for me.

This does not mean I am giving up on my PDA as ebook reader - it still fits in my pocket and is perfect for carry along. For me the eBookwise is more useful around the house.
Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2004, 11:35 PM   #17
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Ebookwise 1150, Jetbook Lite, Slick Er-701
[QUOTE=Brad]I can certainly confirm that you can upload and read (.rd) and HTML formats. Both displayed nicely for me. I have not personally tried .txt, RTF or .doc files but I see no reason to doubt eBookwise's word on this since the others display as advertised.

Ok thats a big step in the right direction. Now one more question. On html files does it display files with a stylesheet correctly. Ie where you set margins and indents and header definations once at start of file vice doing code for them over and over. If you dont have a file with a stylesheet, I wiould be happy to send you one Brad so I know for sure... Thanks in advance.
Highroller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2004, 07:10 AM   #18
Brad
Zealot

Highroller,

I will be happy to test that with a file of yours. Check your Private Messages (PM) for contact info.
Old 11-30-2004, 11:03 AM   #19
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad
The greenish tint only shows up in the camera flash. With the naked eye, the backlit screen appears white with grey scaled lettering. The grey lettering seems slightly sepia-toned to my eye.
This sound like the display of a Clié SJ20 (even the sepia tones). Now it seems to me they built a close to perfect device. You could have "better" features but at other costs, such as a higher battery drain, or even worse... a higher price!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 04:15 PM   #20
Brad
Zealot

Thumbs up

Highroller said:
Quote:
Ok thats a big step in the right direction. Now one more question. On html files does it display files with a stylesheet correctly. Ie where you set margins and indents and header definations once at start of file vice doing code for them over and over. If you dont have a file with a stylesheet, I wiould be happy to send you one Brad so I know for sure... Thanks in advance.
Highroller sent me a test document. I can report that yes the 1150 does pick up the style sheet. The large bold sans-serif font of the title (centered) and the normal serif font of the text. The HTML file looks pretty much the same on both my computer monitor and the 1150. So good news.
Advert
Old 12-08-2004, 03:22 PM   #21
Highroller
Zealot
Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Highroller has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Talking

Quote:
Highroller sent me a test document. I can report that yes the 1150 does pick up the style sheet. The large bold sans-serif font of the title (centered) and the normal serif font of the text. The HTML file looks pretty much the same on both my computer monitor and the 1150. So good news.
Cool. Now if my wife will stop spending money I don't have, maybe I can afford to get one of these buggers. It sounds like the perfect reader for my purposes. Most of my books are in html format and I already have a 128 meg SD chip for use with our digital camera. )
Old 12-09-2004, 09:17 AM   #22
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I've read the 1150 has a dictionary feature. Has anyone played with it? Is it possible to load different tranlations dictionaries? I read a lot of books in french, spanish and english and I'd like to know if I can click on a word and get the translation or definition.
Could you tell us more about this feature? Thanks!
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2005, 09:30 PM   #23
judahis
Enthusiast
judahis is on a distinguished road

Question Transfer files from ebookwise

If I can transfer files from the ebookwise, I would buy it. It looks like may be possible with the memory card and card reader, but I can find no documentation of how to do this. Can anyone help? (I want to be able both read books on the ebookwise, underline pasages and then save, and then export back to my computer, and vice-versa, like "synching" from the Palm)
judahis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2005, 07:15 PM   #24
Highroller
Zealot

Copying files off EbookWise reader.

Quote:
Originally Posted by judahis
If I can transfer files from the ebookwise, I would buy it. It looks like may be possible with the memory card and card reader, but I can find no documentation of how to do this. Can anyone help? (I want to be able both read books on the ebookwise, underline pasages and then save, and then export back to my computer, and vice-versa, like "synching" from the Palm)
Well you should be able to copy the file back off the memory card with a card reader. I haven't tried it. You can hilite words in a book easily enough as you read it and then you can do searches for hilighted sections. I do this to find the areas that need work and then search in my original html and fix the problem in the original on my pc. While there may be a way to do it, I don't know of any program to convert the imp files back to any other format...