Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2020, 02:24 AM   #931
kry89
kry89 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
A. Upgrade your kobo with last firwmare and wait the reboot :
to do it, open or extract the zip file (= the file you have downloaded, it contains the fw) and copy the KoboRoot.tgz (don't extract it !!!) to the directory .kobo of your device. Wait, after 2 or 3 minutes your kobo will reboot alone.

B. Now install the night mode :
. plug you device again on to your computer and do exactly the same steps with the KoboRoot.tgz of nightmode.zip, you will see another reboot
. test : a LONG press on the light button should alternate between the 2 modes

Note : each time you install a fw, you have to re install the plugin (and the others if you use more).

If you don't want to use the plugin : on your kobo, open the search bar and search devmodeon , it will activate the developer mode and now in the settings you will see a invert mode znd other option like landscape mode, etc.

Come back to give us the result,

Sorry for my bad english, I'm french.
but imagine, indeed thank you very much. I can't find a system update though, it seems mine is the latest. is there a site where you can download an updated version?
kry89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 06:03 PM   #932
hipercol
hipercol began at the beginning.

Device: pw1, aura hd
Got an Aura HD and can't seem to get this working. Do I need to modify anything else before copying the KoboRoot.tgz (build 13) to the .kobo folder?

I was on FW 4.15.something and didn't work; got it online and updated to the very latest 4.21.15015 and still no go. Factory reset the thing and downgraded it to the 4.19 versions mentioned before and yet again nothing happens. Tried to change the nightmode.ini settings, still no luck. My device is a slight too bright at night reading in bed (1% brightness) and it's not even uniform which in turn causes a bit of fatigue and is distracting.
hipercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2020, 10:23 PM   #933
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by hipercol View Post
Got an Aura HD and can't seem to get this working. Do I need to modify anything else before copying the KoboRoot.tgz (build 13) to the .kobo folder?

I was on FW 4.15.something and didn't work; got it online and updated to the very latest 4.21.15015 and still no go. Factory reset the thing and downgraded it to the 4.19 versions mentioned before and yet again nothing happens. Tried to change the nightmode.ini settings, still no luck. My device is a slight too bright at night reading in bed (1% brightness) and it's not even uniform which in turn causes a bit of fatigue and is distracting.
If you are using the version of the hack from the first post, it won't work. There were changes in the 4.2.8432 firmware that broke it. The version to use is https://github.com/gtalusan/kobo-nig...r/KoboRoot.tgz. There is plenty of discussion in this thread about this.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 11:50 PM   #934
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Ghosting will vary from model to model; it's worse on some than others. But the solution is to set screen refresh to every page. I don't find that distracting at all; indeed, the screen refresh will occur mostly during when your vision is shut off as your eye moves from the bottom of the screen to the top. (Eyes don't do swish pans; they do hard cuts, retaining the previous image during the spit second of repositioning.) At low sidelight levels, which is what you'll be using, the refresh isn't bothersome even if you see it.

The nightmode hack has its own nightmode.ini file, in which you may specify screen refresh on every page turn ONLY when the screen is inverted, leaving your preferred setting for normal, daytime use unaffected.

Code:
[nightmode]
refreshScreenPages = 1		#force refresh every X pages

Last edited by RobertJSawyer; 05-23-2020 at 12:02 AM.
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2020, 07:09 PM   #935
hipercol
hipercol began at the beginning.

Device: pw1, aura hd
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
(snip)
Thank you for the direct link. It's working as expected, from the few minutes I've tried. I actually tried the file from the fist post but also from the github. As it happens the one I was using was the unmaintained original (?) https://github.com/dbeinder/kobo-nightmode and only now, comparing both, did I notice the link at the top. Almost 1000 post is a bit too much, maybe the fist post should be updated.

Thanks for the tips, Robert. I'm ok with the default 3 pages and if ghosting isn't that bad at low light, I might consider going longer than that because of that full refresh flash! I'm curious to see how e-ink tech will evolve and embrace a proper darkmode (developer's inverted screen mode is so damn broken that I'm not even hoping for an official dark mode on this device, but am happy it's still being supported, contrary to my PW1).
hipercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2020, 03:19 PM   #936
akorx
Addict
akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.akorx never is beset by a damp, drizzly November in his or her soul.

Location: France, languages : french and a little bit english.
Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD
Hi my friends,

I've tried nightmode build 13 with the last fw 4.24.15672 on my glo and my aura HD and all seems to be OK.

A new fw should arrive on the 1st october.
akorx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #937
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akorx View Post
I've tried nightmode build 13 with the last fw 4.24.15672 on my glo and my aura HD and all seems to be OK.
Good to hear that.
Quote:
A new fw should arrive on the 1st october.
I do not believe that there is a plan for new firmware on the 1st. That is the day the new dictionaries should be available. That does not need new firmware, just that you sync to pick them up. But, Kobo is making sure the dictionaries work. They have already released version 4.24.15676 to fix a bug in the dictionary handling. I do not believe we will see another release unless another problems is found.

Last edited by davidfor; 09-29-2020 at 09:55 AM. Reason: So many mistakes.
Old 09-29-2020, 08:52 AM   #938
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:

I do not believe that there is no plan for new firmware on the 1st. ...
huh?

John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #939
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
huh?

That should have been:

I do not believe that there is a plan for new firmware on the 1st.
Old 09-29-2020, 09:50 AM   #940
geek1011
Wizard
geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geek1011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Aura Edition 2 v1, Clara HD
Quote:

That should have been:

I do not believe that there is a plan for new firmware on the 1st.
Quote:
They have already released version 4.24.15672 to fix a bug in the dictionary handling. I do not believe we will see another release unless another problems is found.
Maybe you meant 15676 ?
geek1011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 09:56 AM   #941
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by geek1011 View Post
Maybe you meant 15676 ?

My head hurts.
Old 11-20-2020, 05:01 PM   #942
joebananas
joebananas began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Does anyone know if the latest firmware 4.25.15875 is compatible with Night Mode on a Glo?
joebananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 08:33 PM   #943
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by joebananas View Post
Does anyone know if the latest firmware 4.25.15875 is compatible with Night Mode on a Glo?
You can use NickelMenu to invert the screen. There is no longer any need for this hack and you don't have to wonder if it will crash your system with every new firmware.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2020, 12:06 AM   #944
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by joebananas View Post
Probably. I haven't heard anything one way or the other, but, I also haven't seen any changes that would suggest it would not work. Until someone tries it and reports what happens, we won't know.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:32 PM   #945
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Probably. I haven't heard anything one way or the other, but, I also haven't seen any changes that would suggest it would not work. Until someone tries it and reports what happens, we won't know.
I don't use this program to enable night mode, but I just tried Nickelmenu and it works with 4.25.x on the original H2O.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
glo, hack, mini, night mode, touch