Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 02-09-2020, 12:23 PM   #16
Raex-D
Raex-D began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 8th Gen (KT3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I don't actually see anything about a package getting deleted in the logs (and there is, when the update checks rejects one).

Until I see one of those, I'm assuming you're putting it in the wrong place, or the storage is failing.

----

Sidebar: you're booting in diags, the FW version has no bearings on that, it's baked in at factory time. It's entirely possible you're running a far newer diags build than whatever documentation you're following, which may be pissing on your parade.
I think I tallied the results and they were slightly similar at least I had got to each and every point bergfux mentioned. Why you can't see anything about the update file inside the log is because it is getting deleted before that only. I put it in the root directory, named it update.bin

Then when I plug the usb cable out (not the one for debug but the one for storage) and plug it back in, the file is gone. If I restart the device it's also gone. This is when I haven't plug in the serial cable. I could give this a shot, put file into another directory and maybe it will detect. And second thing is to plug both the usb and serial cables, copy the file and restart while checking the log on the putty.

Before this, I had removed the storage cable. But is there anything else you can suggest?

Noted: Ahh, that thing about moderation makes sense. Welps, I'll keep that into consideration so as not to double post.

Edit: The storage is fine since I could put the update in a directory and that was fine. It didn't get deleted. Unfortunately at that point my TX cable got out from the soldering and I didn't have the equipment at hand, got it done from an electrician's shop

Last edited by Raex-D; 02-09-2020 at 12:32 PM.
Raex-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:24 PM   #17
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
My point is: a package doesn't get deleted without saying so in the logs.

Make of that what you will .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2020, 01:54 PM   #18
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raex-D View Post
I think I tallied the results and they were slightly similar at least I had got to each and every point bergfux mentioned. Why you can't see anything about the update file inside the log is because it is getting deleted before that only. I put it in the root directory, named it update.bin

Then when I plug the usb cable out (not the one for debug but the one for storage) and plug it back in, the file is gone. If I restart the device it's also gone. This is when I haven't plug in the serial cable. I could give this a shot, put file into another directory and maybe it will detect. And second thing is to plug both the usb and serial cables, copy the file and restart while checking the log on the putty.

Before this, I had removed the storage cable. But is there anything else you can suggest?

Noted: Ahh, that thing about moderation makes sense. Welps, I'll keep that into consideration so as not to double post.

Edit: The storage is fine since I could put the update in a directory and that was fine. It didn't get deleted. Unfortunately at that point my TX cable got out from the soldering and I didn't have the equipment at hand, got it done from an electrician's shop
Try following the directions.
You are shitting on your own parade.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 04:40 AM   #19
Raex-D

Quote:
My point is: a package doesn't get deleted without saying so in the logs.

Make of that what you will .
Hey, sorry, I couldn't get the logs this time. Downgrade was successful. I'll just post my observation without the logs, make of that what you will too. This "If I can't see, I can't believe" doctrine doesn't always bode all that well with me, but I guess that's just a procedure for some guys.

I kept putty running, with the update.bin file in the root directory and as soon as I plugged the mass storage media cable out, yes there was some output in the putty but something unreadable. It was total gibberish, not even any syllables or numbers at all. Anyways, when I plugged the cable back the file was gone. No mention of any file named update.bin or anything about it being deleted in putty.

Only thing I can mention is that, to bergfux's instructions is to keep both the cables plugged in. Assuming as soon as kindle os is able to detect the file it removes it since it's an older update and downgrade's aren't possible. A newer firmware update's file wasn't removed, and again no mention of it in putty except for that gibberish. At least in my case.

Another thing that happened to me was that I had to only put the update file in root directory, with the ttl plugged in as well, as soon as I restarted the kindle, it started the update (downgrade). Maybe because that I have had done all the other steps already so it just kicked in. I didn't have to do anything this time, but again that might just be in my case due to me having done it already. No way to confirm it now anyways. Now, onto the jailbreak as soon as I assemble it back
Old 02-10-2020, 12:56 PM   #20
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, if you can't read the serial output because of transmission issues, you can't really tell what's happening ;o).

In any case, IIRC, the actual force downgrade procedure on devices where the OTA updater rejects downgrades, but not the initrd updater, is to *NEVER* unplug the USB side of things. Just let it sit to hope the file has been flushed to storage properly, and then hard-reboot.

That's (probably) ridiculously easier if you have serial access, because you can sync && reboot manually. But then you can just flash it manually from diags in the first place.

But that's not even exactly what's happening here, since that's not the OTA updater, that's the initrd's recovery menu.

(i.e., you shouldn't have to jump through any hoops here).

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-10-2020 at 01:01 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 12:05 PM   #21
m30
m30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it ism30 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle3,kindle 499,kindle 588
Some how,my KT3 can't load u-boot over USB
KT3 and KT2 have the same soc: MC i.MX6LDVN10AB,I can load u-boot via USB on KT2 but not KT3,still wondering why
m30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 06:08 AM   #22
Raex-D

Quote:
(i.e., you shouldn't have to jump through any hoops here).
So, in simple words, I shouldn't have a need to do all that and a downgrade was possible through easier means?
Old 02-14-2020, 10:06 AM   #23
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raex-D View Post
. . . . .
This "If I can't see, I can't believe" doctrine doesn't always bode all that well with me, but I guess that's just a procedure for some guys.
. . . . .
That was(is) a technical observation, not a personal comment.
The device is a machine, being a machine its behavior can be predicted. The contents of log files is one of those behaviors.
Old 02-14-2020, 12:07 PM   #24
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@Raex-D: Yep, it's my understanding that whatever was happening here was anomalous, because the recovery's USB export option + initrd updater combo has never actually been seen deleting anything *on unplug*, ever.
Newer initrd updater *will* happily delete "invalid" (read: downgrade) updates on *boot*, though. But on USB unplug, nope, that's the OTA checker's prerogative.

What has been seen is the flash storage or the filesystem getting screwy behind your back.

Hence my comment: if the software didn't log a delete, yet the file disappeared, Gremlins be at work . (Or PEBCAK, or miscommunication).

It's also not entirely impossible that Amazon did end up updating the recovery menu to do just that, though, hence my other remark about not necessarily trusting the *main* software version.

No real way to get to the bottom of it with unreadable logs, though .

Last edited by NiLuJe; 02-14-2020 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 05:13 PM   #25
Raex-D

@knc1 Yes, I am painfully aware. And @NiLuJe that is true, it boggled my mind too when it kept getting deleted. But, nothing can be done if the log is just unreadable. Anyways, this method works for the androidized kindles, as far as I can see, I am the second person to post a successful message about it being downgraded and jailbroken by the method. Should not it be researched more or at least made sticky for some other unfortunate person having a KT3 or any of those other devices which are not jailbroken by the usual and even serial debugging methods? I was stumped when I was told no for a KT3 jailbreak on the firmware I was on, and even when i was about to serial debug it.

Side Note: My screen ended up being damaged, any chances of getting a replacement from some store or somewhere?
Old 02-24-2020, 04:03 PM   #26
knc1
Going Viral

https://www.ifixit.com/Store/Parts/A...Kindle/Screens
You may have to contact them for your model, those are just the most common models.
Old 08-13-2023, 05:32 AM   #27
cnboy
cnboy began at the beginning.

Device: kt3
Quote:
Originally Posted by m30 View Post
Well,on my KT3,I can enter uboot -> bist -> fastboot,and I can flash something via usb.But I don't know anything about the locked uboot...
now, i can't fastboot flash kernel uimage, which will show "FAILED(command write failed (No error))". how can i save my kt3?
cnboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, debrick, kt3, magickey, pcb, usb download mode