Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 04-09-2020, 03:54 AM   #1
WarthogARJ
WarthogARJ began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Hacking Calibre 4.0 to Run in High Sierra

Hi,
Is there a way to run Calibre 4.0 on High Sierra? Say by a fairly simple hack?

For various reasons I don't want to "upgrade" past High Sierra on my root/main/boot-up Mac OSX.
I can run OSx 14.0 using a VM, but I want to be be able to access 32 bit applications easily, or as Apple itself says, "without compromise", and that means OSx 14.0 is a non-starter.

I've been able to upgrade some fairly fundamental software like Xcode by a few simple hacks, and will try it with Calibre 4, but perhaps it's already been done.

I don't really see why you actually NEED > OSx 13.6 to run Calibre 4.0, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Alan
WarthogARJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 03:57 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You need it for apples codesigning changes alone, let alone other changes to the runtime. But if you are building it yourself, you might be able to get it to run. But really if long term compatibility is important to you, macOS is very much the wrong platform for you, since Apple does not share your priorities.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarthogARJ View Post
Hi,
Is there a way to run Calibre 4.0 on High Sierra? Say by a fairly simple hack?

For various reasons I don't want to "upgrade" past High Sierra on my root/main/boot-up Mac OSX.
I can run OSx 14.0 using a VM, but I want to be be able to access 32 bit applications easily, or as Apple itself says, "without compromise", and that means OSx 14.0 is a non-starter.

I've been able to upgrade some fairly fundamental software like Xcode by a few simple hacks, and will try it with Calibre 4, but perhaps it's already been done.

I don't really see why you actually NEED > OSx 13.6 to run Calibre 4.0, but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks,
Alan
You can plug in a USB drive and install the latest OSX on it and boot from that and run the latest Calibre. But to be honest, not upgrading will someday bite you in the a$$. Appl doesn't care about comparability otherwise, why remove 32-bit programs from running? There's no good reason for that.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 12:10 PM   #4
figdot1
figdot1 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
You need it for apples codesigning changes alone, let alone other changes to the runtime. But if you are building it yourself, you might be able to get it to run. But really if long term compatibility is important to you, macOS is very much the wrong platform for you, since Apple does not share your priorities.
Not sure this is very helpful as an answer. I am in the same position. I do not want to buy a new computer. So, is the answer - you can but you need to build it yourself, or No changes mean it is not backward compatible ?
figdot1 is offline   Reply With Quote