Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #1
allanr
allanr began at the beginning.

Device: Koho Sage
Kobo sage battery issues

I am thinking of getting a Libre 2 or a Sage. I like the Sage more but when reading reviews from last fall it seems there is a big battery problem with the Sage. One guy on YT (mydeep guide) was only getting 4.5 hours per charge.

I was wondering (hoping) this problem has been addressed and fixed.

Can users tell me if the Sage battery life is now acceptable and if there are any tricks (besides turningoff wifi and bluetooth) for better battery life?
allanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:26 PM   #2
Prepper
Connoisseur
Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Prepper can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Forma
I get way more than 4.5 hours. I read at least 30 min a day with like 50% light on, screen refresh every chapter. I know I get at least a week between charges.

I had doubts after my Forma died, but have no regrets. The screen is definitely better. If you like everything else about it I'd say go for it.
Prepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2022, 01:27 PM   #3
allanr
allanr began at the beginning.

Device: Koho Sage
Great to hear that Prepper. Do you keep wifi and bt on?
allanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 01:32 PM   #4
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Anyone getting 4.5 hours or less on the Sage is doing things to intentionally burn the battery and should probably be ignored.

Keeping WiFi and BT on are silly unless you’re actively using features which require them.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #5
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Or perhaps an Advanced Notebook (which uses Nebo app) was open or something crashed. Try power off/on and MAYBE don't sleep inside a notebook page?

No issue with battery on my Sage. I don't use front light, BT or WiFi.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2022, 04:16 PM   #6
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prepper View Post
I get way more than 4.5 hours. I read at least 30 min a day with like 50% light on, screen refresh every chapter. I know I get at least a week between charges.

I had doubts after my Forma died, but have no regrets. The screen is definitely better. If you like everything else about it I'd say go for it.
Umm... 30 minutes per day for 1 week is 3.5 hours.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2022, 05:17 PM   #7
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My Sage is at 90% after reading for an hour+ between today and yesterday. That’s roughly ten hours. This is on the latest 4.33 firmware which promised more accurate reporting.

This is with WiFi and BT off, frontlight around 10%.

I’d be surprised if light WiFi use (the occasional wiki search) would drastically impact that. Now if you want to use the Sage as a web browser more power to you, but get a battery pack or two because that’ll eat the battery.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:24 PM   #8
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Likebook Ares
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Anyone getting 4.5 hours or less on the Sage is doing things to intentionally burn the battery and should probably be ignored.

Keeping WiFi and BT on are silly unless you’re actively using features which require them.
That's a strong argument. I don't get even 4h even with light off.

In principle I don't mind. The device is super quick. I also have the Libra 2 in which battery lasts forever.

I would like to know what things I am doing to intentionally burn the battery.

Sent from my CPH2021 using Tapatalk

Last edited by jospalau; 07-01-2022 at 05:28 PM.
jospalau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 05:41 PM   #9
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jospalau View Post
That's a strong argument. I don't get even 4h even with light off.

In principle I don't mind. The device is super quick. I also have the Libra 2 in which battery lasts forever.

I would like to know what things I am doing to intentionally burn the battery.

Dunno but I’d have to try to get my Sage to die in 4hrs, turning WiFi and BT on and continually using them, light on, and font set large with large line spacing to require screen refreshes frequently.
Old 07-01-2022, 05:46 PM   #10
jospalau
Groupie
jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jospalau ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Dunno but I’d have to try to get my Sage to die in 4hrs, turning WiFi and BT on and continually using them, light on, and font set large with large line spacing to require screen refreshes frequently.
I have to say I always used KOReader. I will try using the reader that comes in the device to see if it gets better. KOReader works fine in all my devices anyway. Anyone using it in Sage?

Old 07-01-2022, 06:08 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
I tested KOReader and Plato on my Sage using the OCP package and then updating to the latest stable builds. All I can say is that @niluje was being very kind when he commented "On the Sage, both Plato & KOReader will currently exhibit slightly higher power drain". My limited testing would suggest substituting much for slightly though since his builds were likely on the bleeding edge, his results could easily have varied from my results.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 06:09 PM   #12
MGlitch
Wizard

Quote:
I have to say I always used KOReader. I will try using the reader that comes in the device to see if it gets better. KOReader works fine in all my devices anyway. Anyone using it in Sage?

KOReader would be the culprit I know they’ve made strides getting it close to the stock so maybe check out the nightly builds. I believe it’s an opt in setting within KOReader that really makes some difference but I’m currently not running it on my Sage and I’m roughly 200 miles from a computer I can use to reload it so I could look around.

The first nightly of KOReader was burning battery pretty quickly it’d probably line up with sub 4hrs of life.
Old 07-01-2022, 06:14 PM   #13
jospalau
Groupie

KOReader is 😮

Old 07-02-2022, 08:27 AM   #14
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
I find Kobo reader better than KOreader because if the epub has a problem I fix it in Calibre Editor, so I don't need the epub feature of KOReader. The book organisation/finding is clunky in KOReader compared to native Kobo. I do have the KOReader on the Elipsa for the autocrop of PDF margins. I've not installed KOReader on the Sage because it has over 3,000 PD epubs, a library. I'd need to put all the PDFs in a separate top level "pdfs" to make browsing easier in KOReader. It's not an issue on the Elipsa because mostly it has PDFs, almost no epubs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 10:34 AM   #15
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
No. I like the native reader (with patches) more (and yeah, I've tried KOReader). All my books are manually edited, so there's no significant advantage for me in using KOReader.

I read kepubs on the Sage (via the extended driver) and mostly epubs on the Libra 2.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote