Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 10-19-2019, 08:41 AM   #1
Swifty4635
Enthusiast
Swifty4635 began at the beginning.

Device: none
some bulleted text cut off when converting epub to pdf

This only happens with text that is placed in a bulleted list. Part of that text is cut off at the right edge of the page. How can I fix this? Thanks.
Swifty4635 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 08:51 AM   #2
Swifty4635
Enthusiast

I forgot to mention that the bulleted list is indented to the right.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #3
Swifty4635
Enthusiast

it seems like if I convert the epub to mobi and then the mobi to pdf all within calibre, everything displays fine. How can fix it so that the conversion from epub to pdf directly works fine without the problem described above?
Old 10-19-2019, 10:46 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Text will get cut off if it is not reflowable (there is some CSS styling marking it as not reflowable) Hard to say what that might be without looking at the book in question. And converting to MOBI fixes it because MOBI supports no CSS at all, let alone of the non-reflowable variety.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:53 PM   #5
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
I've recently run into this in a couple of books. Turned out the text in question had a negative indent with no off-setting margin (or maybe the other way around). Like somebody was trying for a hanging indent and missed half of it. Definitely in the code; you have to open it in the editor to figure it out.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:59 PM   #6
Swifty4635
Enthusiast

Thank you both for the replies. Opening the epub and fixing each of the bulleted and numbered lists in a 800+ page book would be a dauting task. I think I'll just convert the EPUB to MOBI first, then the MOBI to PDF and save myself a lot of headaches. Thanks.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:10 PM   #7
Swifty4635
Enthusiast

Thank you both for the replies. Opening the epub and fixing each of the bulleted and numbered lists in a 800+ page book would be a dauting task. I think I'll just convert the EPUB to MOBI first, then the MOBI to PDF and save myself a lot of headaches.

But just for my information and this may actually help with a small epub ebook, what exactly do I need to edit in the epub CSS styles? Which selector should I look for and what key value pair should it be for that selector? Thanks.
Old 10-20-2019, 09:14 PM   #8
Swifty4635
Enthusiast

But just for my information and this may actually help with a small epub ebook, what exactly do I need to edit in the epub CSS styles? Which selector should I look for and what key value pair should it be for that selector? Thanks.
Old 10-21-2019, 12:00 AM   #9
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swifty4635 View Post
Actually, the problem is probably in the css, rather than the text, and if that is so, one small change may fix your whole book.

A hanging indent will look something like this in the css file, it can be part of any class:
Code:
margin-left: 3em;
text-indent: -2em;
Now if that large margin is missing, leaving you with a negative indent, you will see the cut-off. This is just how it may happen--the hanging indent may not be needed at all--it may just be a mistake. Just get rid of any negative indent without an off-setting margin.

You will see the changes as you make them in the preview pane, so you will know when you are getting it right.

If there are many class codes in the text that all have this sort of problem, search and replace is your friend. If there are so many as to make changing many css entries difficult, use search and replace to change them to all one or two classes in the text, and fix those few classes in the css.

Last edited by retiredbiker; 10-21-2019 at 12:04 AM.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 05:26 PM   #10
88%
Enthusiast
88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch88% is clearly one to watch

Device: DPTS1
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredbiker View Post
Actually, the problem is probably in the css, rather than the text, and if that is so, one small change may fix your whole book.

A hanging indent will look something like this in the css file, it can be part of any class:
Code:
margin-left: 3em;
text-indent: -2em;

This helped me alot. I was having trouble with a single file that kept cutting off the odd character and this was the fix.

Resurrecting this thread just to add that instead of using the editor and going through the CSS, I was able to fix it by going to:

Look & Feel > Transform Styles

and then adding the following rule before converting:

Code:
If the property text-indent is any value <then> remove the property
This might be overkill depending on your needs, but it worked great for me.
88% is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2022, 08:32 PM   #11
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88% View Post
Code:
If the property text-indent is any value <then> remove the property
This might be overkill depending on your needs, but it worked great for me.
If you don't mind losing all the text-indents, e.g. paragraph indents, that will work. My personal opinion is that you are tossing the baby out with the bath water.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote