Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 08-23-2020, 09:26 AM   #1
marnold
marnold began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Kindlegen mobi display issues

I'm trying to convert a book (see sample-ebook.pub) to Kindle (mobi) using KindleGen that is shipped with the latest Kindle Previewer 3.43.0. I transfer the resulting mobi via Send to Kindle app (version 1.1.1.250) on a Mac. The book is going to be distributed without KDP.

I found a couple of puzzling display issues on different devices:

1. Cover is displayed on Kindle for iOS (see cover_ios.jpg) but not on Kindle Voyage (see cover_kindle.jpg)

2. Page formatting is fine on Kindle Voyage (page_kindle.jpg) and Kindle Previewer (page_previewer.png), and broken on Kindle iOS (page_ios.jpg)

Any clues on how to debug/fix this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	page_ios.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	202.1 KB
ID:	181527   Click image for larger version

Name:	page_kindle.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	190.7 KB
ID:	181528   Click image for larger version

Name:	page_previewer.png
Views:	237
Size:	272.8 KB
ID:	181529  
Attached Images

Attached Files
File Type: epub sample-book.epub (142.1 KB, 270 views)
marnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 10:09 AM   #2
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnold View Post
I'm trying to convert a book (see sample-ebook.pub) to Kindle (mobi) using KindleGen that is shipped with the latest Kindle Previewer 3.43.0. I transfer the resulting mobi via Send to Kindle app (version 1.1.1.250) on a Mac.
A MOBI file created by KindleGen is a Master MOBI that contains both the older MOBI7 and the newer KF8 formats in a single file. Different Kindle apps/devices will use either one or the other of these formats.

Quote:
1. Cover is displayed on Kindle for iOS (see cover_ios.jpg) but not on Kindle Voyage (see cover_kindle.jpg)
That is normal. Sending the book via Amazon's delivery system causes the KF8 portion to be delivered to a Voyage, marked as a "personal document". That combination will only display a generic cover thumbnail on an e-ink Kindle.

You should see the cover thumbnail if you instead sideload the Master MOBI to the Voyage via USB, but you then lose the ability to sync reading progress and annotations between devices.

Quote:
2. Page formatting is fine on Kindle Voyage (page_kindle.jpg) and Kindle Previewer (page_previewer.png), and broken on Kindle iOS (page_ios.jpg)
That is also normal. The Kindle for iOS app does not support KF8 format and so Amazon delivers the far less capable MOBI7 format to it.

Kindle for iOS supports AZK format instead of KF8. You can create that using the Kindle Previewer, but getting that file into the app can be tricky and it is not supported by any other Kindle device/app.

Quote:
The book is going to be distributed without KDP.
Any clues on how to debug/fix this?
Selling your book via the Kindle store would solve these problems. Non-purchased books are second-class citizens in the Amazon ecosystem.

Last edited by jhowell; 08-23-2020 at 10:16 AM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2020, 01:54 PM   #3
marnold

Thanks for the reply!

Quote:
A MOBI file created by KindleGen is a Master MOBI that contains both the older MOBI7 and the newer KF8 formats in a single file. Different Kindle apps/devices will use either one or the other of these formats.
I got better display results on iOS by converting epub to mobi using Calibre. Then I unpacked both mobis (kidlegen and calibre) and they all contain mobi7 and mobi8 folders. Does it mean that the preferred format is determined by some obscure factor, or simply that Calibre's MOBI7 output is better than KindleGen's one?

Quote:
Selling your book via the Kindle store would solve these problems. Non-purchased books are second-class citizens in the Amazon ecosystem.
If I want to avoid the store and distribute the book for Kindle without any DRM, are MOBI/PDF formats most suitable to achieve that? I've seen some books with the AZW3 extension, can KindleGen make it?

Do I have any other options?
Old 08-23-2020, 03:04 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I got better display results on iOS by converting epub to mobi using Calibre. Then I unpacked both mobis (kidlegen and calibre) and they all contain mobi7 and mobi8 folders. Does it mean that the preferred format is determined by some obscure factor, or simply that Calibre's MOBI7 output is better than KindleGen's one?

If I want to avoid the store and distribute the book for Kindle without any DRM, are MOBI/PDF formats most suitable to achieve that? I've seen some books with the AZW3 extension, can KindleGen make it?

kindleunpack can extract the azw3 from the dual mobi generated by kindlegen.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=61986
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 05:15 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I got better display results on iOS by converting epub to mobi using Calibre.
The MOBI7 conversion from calibre may be superior to Amazon's in some cases, but may not work as well in other cases. For example, it lacks some of the data structures produced by kindlegen used for synchronization of reading position and annotations across devices.

Quote:
If I want to avoid the store and distribute the book for Kindle without any DRM, are MOBI/PDF formats most suitable to achieve that?
Personally I believe that a Master MOBI produced using kindlegen is the best option available for this purpose. Others may disagree.

Quote:
I've seen some books with the AZW3 extension, can KindleGen make it?
The AZW3 file extension used for KF8 format. KF8 is included as part of the Master MOBI produced by kindlegen.

A separate AZW3 file will be smaller than a Master MOBI, but will be far less usable since it must be sideloaded via USB to be usable on a Kindle. It will not work with "Send to Kindle".
Advert
Old 08-24-2020, 10:10 AM   #6
phillipgessert
Addict
phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phillipgessert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5th Gen
Quote:
Thanks for the reply!

I may be mistaken, but I think the EULA for Amazon’s publishing tools prohibit sale outside of their platform (though you can give books made with them away freely). Amazon’s “publishing tools” are basically kindlegen, Previewer, and I would assume the autoconversion at the KDP dash itself. I figure this is why most off-site offerings are EPUBs with a big explainer about sideloading, the support needs of which being a big ball of wax onto itself. Being basically your question here, plus many more we couldn’t even dream of, but instead of being asked here your customers are asking them of you.

Last edited by phillipgessert; 08-24-2020 at 10:14 AM.
phillipgessert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2020, 11:39 AM   #7
marnold

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillipgessert View Post
I may be mistaken, but I think the EULA for Amazon’s publishing tools prohibit sale outside of their platform (though you can give books made with them away freely).
Yep, already discovered that. I have at least one tech book that comes with a readme on how to install KindleGen and convert the epub yourself.

BTW, does anyone know how Leanpub is able to make *.mobi files that:

1. Do not violate the Amazon's EULA
2. Render okay'ish on Kindle for iOS
3. Support Enhanced Typesetting when opened with Kindle Previewer

In my experiments with KindleGen/Calibre I was unable to achieve ET with epub3 -> mobi conversion.
Old 08-24-2020, 02:40 PM   #8
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
epub2 uploaded to Amazon KDP produces Enhanced Typesetting on compatible Amazon products.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 10:09 PM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Yep, already discovered that. I have at least one tech book that comes with a readme on how to install KindleGen and convert the epub yourself.

BTW, does anyone know how Leanpub is able to make *.mobi files that:

1. Do not violate the Amazon's EULA
2. Render okay'ish on Kindle for iOS
3. Support Enhanced Typesetting when opened with Kindle Previewer

In my experiments with KindleGen/Calibre I was unable to achieve ET with epub3 -> mobi conversion.
If I were a betting woman, I'd guess that it's not ET, itself; it's hyphenation and you can do that with a plugin for Calibre.

The only way to make a MOBI that displays "okayish" on iOS, is by making the ebook as bloody simple as possible. iOS is not a good playground for MOBI or KF8. AZW3 won't work on iOS, either.

I mean, hell, make the files and then try to sideload them. You can only sideload "mobi" which, today, is the older, KF7 type format, (more or less).

You have bigger issues, which are the sideloading challenges that your customers will face. Amazon buyers, (and B&N buyers, Kobo buyers, etc.) are accustomed to click and MAGIC HAPPENS! The book flies through the air with the greatest of ease, and arrives on the device. PFM.

I don't know where you plan to distribute it, but if you don't spend time around "normal" people, if you are thinking of doing it yourself, you may be in for a brutal shock.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 02:19 AM   #10
marnold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
You have bigger issues, which are the sideloading challenges that your customers will face. Amazon buyers, (and B&N buyers, Kobo buyers, etc.) are accustomed to click and MAGIC HAPPENS! The book flies through the air with the greatest of ease, and arrives on the device. PFM.

I don't know where you plan to distribute it, but if you don't spend time around "normal" people, if you are thinking of doing it yourself, you may be in for a brutal shock.
Hitch
This is a valid concern. However, my audience is fairly small, technical, and prefers DRM-free books. And if sideloading turns to be a huge problem, it is relatively easy to fix after the fact by publishing on Amazon.

Is there a way to glue KF7 and KF8 (generated from differently optimized epub sources) into a single mobi? Something like KindleUnpack, but in reverse (preferably through the command line).

And by the way, I figured out one way to get ET checkbox in Kindle Previewer. Pandoc-generated epub3 -> KindleGen -> mobi results in ET=off, however, Pandoc epub2 -> KindleGen -> mobi results in ET=on.
Old 08-27-2020, 03:19 AM   #11
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Is there a way to glue KF7 and KF8 (generated from differently optimized epub sources) into a single mobi? Something like KindleUnpack, but in reverse (preferably through the command line).
Nothing like that exists AFAIK. It would be difficult to do properly since a table is needed indicating corresponding parts of the two formats for synchronization and only kindlegen produces that currently.

Quote:
And by the way, I figured out one way to get ET checkbox in Kindle Previewer. Pandoc-generated epub3 -> KindleGen -> mobi results in ET=off, however, Pandoc epub2 -> KindleGen -> mobi results in ET=on.
The Enhanced Typesetting indicator in the Kindle Previewer indicates that the source file does not contain anything that would prevent is from being converted to KFX format which will be delivered to customers when published on Amazon.

It does not indicate that the MOBI will have Enhanced Typesetting when sideloaded. ET is a feature of KFX format.
Old 08-27-2020, 09:18 AM   #12
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Nothing like that exists AFAIK. It would be difficult to do properly since a table is needed indicating corresponding parts of the two formats for synchronization and only kindlegen produces that currently.
Yes, I was about to say, just use KP. {shrug}. Voila, one glued-together mobi.

The Enhanced Typesetting indicator in the Kindle Previewer indicates that the source file does not contain anything that would prevent is from being converted to KFX format which will be delivered to customers when published on Amazon.

It does not indicate that the MOBI will have Enhanced Typesetting when sideloaded. ET is a feature of KFX format.[/QUOTE]

Yes, @marnold--if you are believing that ET is working, and "on," based upon the checkmark in KP3, that's very misleading. Any file you generate, via KP3, that has the checkmark, will NOT have it, when the file is viewed on a device. ET is created via the KDP publishing process--as jhowell says, it's a function of KFX, not MOBI.

As I stated previously, if you think you are seeing ET, visually when reading, in a file that came from elsewhere, that's most likely the Calibre hyphenation plugin.

With your question about leanpub, I thought you meant you were seeing it, visually, in the being-read file, on a Kindle. If you mean that you dump it on KP3 and you get a checkmark, that's no big deal. you can do that with almost any type of HTML file, ePUB2, Word...can you clarify what you meant?

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 10:30 AM   #13
marnold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
With your question about leanpub, I thought you meant you were seeing it, visually, in the being-read file, on a Kindle. If you mean that you dump it on KP3 and you get a checkmark, that's no big deal. you can do that with almost any type of HTML file, ePUB2, Word...can you clarify what you meant?
Yes, I saw the checkmark in KP3 and just assumed that it means ET is already enabled. Thanks for the explanation.

I think I'm going to stick with Calibre to produce a MOBI and will try to simplify the epub HTML/CSS as much as possible. If that effort will fail, then I'll resort to shipping a separately optimized PDF file produced with Pandoc.

KindleGen is a black box that requires too much experimentation. For example, just esterday I learned why it picks a wrong color for inline <code> tags in KF7 - it treats the "code span.al" CSS selector rule as "code, code span.al"...

Also, right about the time when I decided to build a Docker container with my book toolchain, Amazon discontinued KindleGen for Linux... https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24275231
Old 08-27-2020, 12:56 PM   #14
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Also, right about the time when I decided to build a Docker container with my book toolchain, Amazon discontinued KindleGen for Linux... https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=24275231
You could use Wine 5.10 to run the KindleGen binary bundled with Kindle Previewer.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote