Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-26-2018, 06:07 PM   #46
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Not arguing, just wondering...Is there some way to modify the youtube tags so that it doesn't preload, but still shows the youtube splash and title...or something. Putting it in spoiler tags kinda loses the whole most of the point of linking it.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:21 PM   #47
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
All of these embedded videos will eventually slow this thread down if they keep getting added (each one reaches out to try and touch youtube whenever the page loads). If we're done with the topic, then let's be done. Plenty of places to share favorite video clips already.

Hiding the embedded video behind spoiler tags will stop the pre-load until after the spoiler button is clicked (for those that are interested).
(Sigh), my first-ever video, here on MR, and I get yelled at! I'm gonna go eat worms.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2018, 06:32 PM   #48
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
(Sigh), my first-ever video, here on MR, and I get yelled at! I'm gonna go eat worms.

Hitch
No, no no, no. I was fine with the first couple. I'm not a monster.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2018, 06:36 PM   #49
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
Putting it in spoiler tags kinda loses the whole most of the point of linking it.
Not in my opinion. 'Course I've never seen the value of embedding videos in forum posts (most of the time) in the first place. *shrug*

Quote:
Is there some way to modify the youtube tags so that it doesn't preload, but still shows the youtube splash and title...or something.
Not that I know of. But even if you could, a thread full of videos all retrieving splash images and metadata whenever the page loads is still going to cause performance issues. The "Name in a Song Game and "What are you Listening to Right Now?" threads in the lounge are unbearably sluggish for me--especially when a page approaches 25 posts or so. Why anyone wants to show me what song they're listening to, I'll never know.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-26-2018 at 06:51 PM.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:57 PM   #50
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
:-)

I do want to say, I'll go de-link mine, 'cuz, I didn't do it right. Ditto Tox's, we'll ask him to de-link his.

However, I do want to add, if you've never seen Them Thar Hills, and need a damn silly laugh, god, I use to LOVE this when I was a child. I must have seen it a hundred times, no exaggeration (because after me came my much-younger sibs, who also, of course, called for it every Saturday Sinema Night--got to the point that the whole fam damily could Little Shop of Horrors the whole movie, lol).

Course, now, I'm a sophisticated adult, and would NEVER laugh at something so dumb...

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2018, 07:13 PM   #51
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

You gotta realize; I'm not a fan of linked in anything in forum posts/conversations. Remote images/videos are taken down, servers go away, and domain names change/die. Then you end up with threads full of posts screaming into the void for items that don't exist anymore (never mind wrecking the original conversation with their absense).
Old 06-26-2018, 09:06 PM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
:-)

I do want to say, I'll go de-link mine, 'cuz, I didn't do it right. Ditto Tox's, we'll ask him to de-link his.
Hmmm.... the links used by you and Toxaris would not be an issue since they are non-functional. The links I generated... well that's another story. My bad.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:38 AM   #53
AlanHK
Guru
AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlanHK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW-3, iPad, Android phone
If anyone is still discussing Bookview:

Sorry if it's a "boat anchor" to the code, but it's really, really useful to me.
But I rarely edit in Bookview (nothing more than correcting a few words). If you made it read-only, that would be fine with me, as long as otherwise it worked as now.

Preview as it works now cannot replace it.

The preview is always out of sync with the codeview unless I'm at the top of a file; it lags and jumps around unpredictably. If I try to scroll there I just lose my place in the code as well. So I usually just disregard the preview and F2 to bookview to check formatting.

When visually scanning a chapter for problems I use bookview, find a problem, put the cursor on it and F2 to fix the code. Cannot do that in preview.

Also, vastly annoyingly, I cannot copy text from the preview.
Often I have a page of spaghetti code from Word and/or Calibre and God knows what (title pages are common offenders), so rather than spending 10 minutes fixing the code or devising regexes, I just open Bookview, copy the text, F2, and paste it in replacing all the crap code with plain text, add some basic <p or <h tags and it's done.

Quote:
Not arguing, just wondering...Is there some way to modify the youtube tags so that it doesn't preload
In Firefox, get the plugin FlashStopper.

Last edited by AlanHK; 06-30-2018 at 03:56 AM.
AlanHK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:31 AM   #54
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
A read-only BookView would be like a crippled ebook reader. I would much prefer a way to launch the current epub inside Sigil (without needing an explicit save) in a user's preferred e-reading software (external to Sigil). That way much more can be actually previewed and proofed.

That said, being able to copy out of Preview is something useful to add. Alternatively, I could see adding a single bookview like window that allows copying into and out of, sort of like a scratchpad area of some sort.

Whatever we end up doing, the resulting design will do its best to keep all features except for actual editing of a live dom on the fly.

As for scrolling jumping in Preview, it is tied to the current cursor position in Codeview so scrolling in CodeView and changing the cursor should be followed by Preview centering itself on the CodeView cursor position (or as close to it as possible).
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 09:54 AM   #55
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
As for scrolling jumping in Preview, it is tied to the current cursor position in Codeview so scrolling in CodeView and changing the cursor should be followed by Preview centering itself on the CodeView cursor position (or as close to it as possible).
The reverse is true as well...you can scroll in preview....and when you click on a specific spot in preview - code view will center on that location with the first line of the paragraph highlighted.
Turtle91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:11 PM   #56
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
That said, being able to copy out of Preview is something useful to add.
If you mean select text in Preview, and copy to the clipboard, I can already do that.

I have to select the text with the mouse, and copy it with Ctrl+C. Be nice to have a keyboard way to select text, i.e. via shift+ctrl+right arrow etc etc.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:31 AM   #57
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Just encountered a feature in Bookview, which doesn't exist in Preview: in Bookview i can click on an image to open it on a separate tab.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:46 AM   #58
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Double-clicking on the Image in the BookBrowser will do the exact same thing.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:10 PM   #59
Maui
Connoisseur
Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maui ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab S2
Soirry, but thats not a replacement. In Bookview i can open exactly the picture i'm looking at in a new tab without going to the browser. If you have tons of pictures in a book, all of them having cryptic filenames it just saves time to open it quick in a new tab. Going to the tab the file is then highlighted in the bookbrowser where i can rename it. Or i can make use of "open with" from the tab.

Otherwise i need to remember the filename and locate it in the book browser, where the tree of images might be folded and need to be expanded first. Much more clicks, much more to remember.
Maui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 01:17 PM   #60
KevinH
Sigil Developer

In CodeView I can see the exact image name and easily double-click it in BookBrowser. Please note that we will NOT be trying to replace all features now supported by Bookview, especially those with alternative ways to achieve the same thing (ie using CodeView and BookBrowser for the common case of just a few images or via or Reports when lots of images are present).