Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 02-15-2018, 01:38 AM   #46
ekbell
Guru
ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ekbell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Decades ago my then local library had a bookcase where patrons could freely contribute their old romance books and pick up new ones. It was always at least two-thirds full of a constantly changing variety without costing the library more than shelf space.
ekbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 04:26 AM   #47
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
Thanks for reminding me to check out my library's new ebooks and get on the hold list for the new romance book I wanted to read!
Please don't. Do it for the people who don't read romance. help your library be a more fair place for people who do not read romance to go.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 08:03 AM   #48
Fluribus
Guru
Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fluribus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I was curious so I went to my libraries OD site and checked the breakdown for eBooks (no audio) and this is what I got... Didn't seem too bad to me (of course it relies on publishers placing books in the right categories). They also do Cloud Library, but I didn't check that.

Fiction 66,064
Nonfiction 42,822

Romance 28,432
Juvenile Fiction 18,532
Literature 14,685
Mystery 14,668
Historical Fiction 12,339
Fantasy 11,618
Juvenile Literature 9,625
Young Adult Fiction 9,241
Thriller 8,861
Suspense 7,387
Biography & Autobiography 6,207
History 5,345
Comic and Graphic Books 5,225
Cooking & Food 4,878
Science Fiction 4,589
Humor (Fiction) 4,382
Business 3,781
Young Adult Literature 3,624
Travel 3,218
Health & Fitness 3,046
Self-Improvement 3,005
Religion & Spirituality 2,938
Juvenile Nonfiction 2,885
plus a bunch more smaller categories
Romance has infiltrated many other genres. There may be far fewer than 4,589 SF books available for those who will not read SF/Romance.
Fluribus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 08:41 AM   #49
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Please don't. Do it for the people who don't read romance. help your library be a more fair place for people who do not read romance to go.
My library seems to add books from all sorts of genres and I definitely want them to keep adding romance books. The book in question released two days ago. I added it to my hold list last night and I'll get to read it in approximately 120 days. With each checkout lasting two weeks, I'm far back on the list to get it.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:03 AM   #50
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
My library seems to add books from all sorts of genres and I definitely want them to keep adding romance books. The book in question released two days ago. I added it to my hold list last night and I'll get to read it in approximately 120 days. With each checkout lasting two weeks, I'm far back on the list to get it.
Okay what book is it? This romance fan wants to know.

My library caters to young people more than anything. So very little romance or anything more adult that's why I have a membership to Brooklyn and a my lifetime card to FLP. My Tennessee card finally expired late last year. It was my main source to romance books.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-15-2018, 10:07 AM   #51
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Okay what book is it? This romance fan wants to know.

My library caters to young people more than anything. So very little romance or anything more adult that's why I have a membership to Brooklyn and a my lifetime card to FLP. My Tennessee card finally expired late last year. It was my main source to romance books.
How do you get a lifetime card for FLP? Also, you can call the different Tennessee libraries to try to get an over the phone renewal. Just keep calling until you find someone willing to help. I've done that when I've been too far away/unable to go to the library to renew.
Old 02-15-2018, 10:14 AM   #52
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
How do you get a lifetime card for FLP? Also, you can call the different Tennessee libraries to try to get an over the phone renewal. Just keep calling until you find someone willing to help. I've done that when I've been too far away/unable to go to the library to renew.
Years ago remember they offered veterans and elderly people free library cards. My husband is a veteran. We're grandfathered in. They don't add many new overdrive books anymore but they have Hoopla and Freading.

My old Tennessee library doesn't do out of state. I already checked.

Sent from my XT1528
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #53
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
Romance has infiltrated many other genres. There may be far fewer than 4,589 SF books available for those who will not read SF/Romance.
True, but the same can be said in reverse (perhaps to a smaller extent). Under Romance you'll sometimes find Mysteries, Thrillers, SciFi and Fantasy that aren't what one would generally consider a Romance (no HEA or HFN, etc). Publishers have been doing the "put it in as many genre's as it might remotely fit in" thing for quite a while now.

Last edited by AnemicOak; 02-15-2018 at 10:48 AM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:45 AM   #54
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
When my library didn't have a specific book I wanted they located a copy in another library and got an interlibrary loan of it for me. Do your libraries have a similar program?
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 10:48 AM   #55
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
When my library didn't have a specific book I wanted they located a copy in another library and got an interlibrary loan of it for me. Do your libraries have a similar program?
Interlibrary loan for eBooks? Haven't seen that offered before. For pBooks, sure I think most libraries do that.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #56
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Valentines Day needs to go away so this sort of thing doesn't happen.
The thought occurs to me, Jon, that if you start writing to the Vatican now, and successfully argue your case that St Valentine should be removed from the Calendar of Saints, they might get around to doing it ... in about 500 years .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #57
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The thought occurs to me, Jon, that if you start writing to the Vatican now, and successfully argue your case that St Valentine should be removed from the Calendar of Saints, they might get around to doing it ... in about 500 years .
From what I've read, the Vatican would have to first determine WHICH St. Valentine, the day is named for! There are at least 2, possibly 3 St. Valentines.
(two of them might, or might not, be the same guy).

That should add at least another 500 years to your estimate.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:59 AM   #58
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Valentines day was a created by the greeting card people, the flower people, and the candy people.

We don't need one day a year to show other loved ones that we love them. And we 100% do not need this day for libraries to waste their budget on tacky romance novels.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:51 PM   #59
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Valentines day was a created by the greeting card people, the flower people, and the candy people.

We don't need one day a year to show other loved ones that we love them. And we 100% do not need this day for libraries to waste their budget on tacky romance novels.
So are you happy with libraries wasting their budget on tacky romance novels the other 364 days a year?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 12:54 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
So are you happy with libraries wasting their budget on tacky romance novels the other 364 days a year?
What would be best is to more evenly buy different genres.