Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-13-2015, 01:31 PM   #1
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Hoopla now supports e-book lending for libraries

Received an email today stating that e-book lending now available from Hoopla Digital

Quote:
Starting today, hoopla
– your all-in-one digital media library service –
is pleased to bring you its newest format additions:
eBooks & Comics!

For the love of reading
We’re especially proud that these new formats reflect what all hoopla library patrons want most in eBooks and Comics – the love of the digital page. The hoopla eBook focus is all about the love of reading; a centering on connecting people with favorite titles in the way they want, anywhere and anytime.

Action View
hoopla’s groundbreaking Action View, our built-in, enhanced viewing technology enables full-page and panel-by-panel viewing for immersive reading experience.

What are you waiting for? Experience, explore and enjoy your favorite movies, music … and now, eBooks and Comics … and more today.

Remember … update your hoopla app now (unless your device has an automatic updates).
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 03:43 PM   #2
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
My library just cancelled Hoopla 3-4 weeks ago.

All they have now is overdrive and oneclick.

Wonder what ebooks they will be getting, which publishers and such. Not that I can use them anymore anyway.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2015, 05:52 PM   #3
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Thanks for this! My library started this last summer. There are no wait lists and I can borrow 10 items per month.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 06:57 PM   #4
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I wonder how much a library pays per loan?
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:02 PM   #5
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A number of people on here (including me) have library cards from the Free Library of Philadelphia and they provide access to Hoopla. All you have to do is register for access.

Their "Featured" list has about 900 books. I haven't found a way to tell if that is all they have available at the moment. (ETA: It looks like there are currently 5509 e-books and 579 comics available.)

The browser-based reader seem to be pretty nice, with a number of options for controlling the book display. I haven't tried reading in their app yet.

Last edited by jhowell; 05-13-2015 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Add info
Advert
Old 05-13-2015, 07:30 PM   #6
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
I'm finding 96 eBook titles at the Free Library of Philadelphia. EDITED: Obviously I am missing a lot, per the last post.

Does the collection vary from library to library?

I did discover one book I'd like to read. The Free Library of Philadelphia also has it in its Overdrive collection, as does my small suburban library. When ready, I'll get it, in Kindle format, from one of those.

At first glance, not only is there no Kindle eInk support, but I also fail to see ePUB. It seems like you have to either have a back-lit tablet, or read on a computer. Is this correct?
SteveEisenberg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:51 PM   #7
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Wonder what ebooks they will be getting, which publishers and such. Not that I can use them anymore anyway.
Seems like mostly small press. The publishers with the most books there are:
Quote:
Publisher
dundurn 1127
tyndale house publishers, inc. 820
chicago review press 629
rosettabooks 524
orca book publishers 465
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
At first glance, not only is there no Kindle eInk support, but I also fail to see ePUB. It seems like you have to either have a back-lit tablet, or read on a computer. Is this correct?
You have to read in a browser or by using their iOS or Android App.

Last edited by jhowell; 05-13-2015 at 11:22 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 05-13-2015, 09:58 PM   #8
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

It does work on my T62 eink tablet except that the margin setting is missing. At least the default setting is not huge.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:18 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
A number of people on here (including me) have library cards from the Free Library of Philadelphia and they provide access to Hoopla. All you have to do is register for access.

Their "Featured" list has about 900 books. I haven't found a way to tell if that is all they have available at the moment. (ETA: It looks like there are currently 5509 e-books and 579 comics available.)

The browser-based reader seem to be pretty nice, with a number of options for controlling the book display. I haven't tried reading in their app yet.
I was trying to browse their selection. The "Urban Fiction" category wasn't what I was expecting.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:52 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Have I waited long enough to ask if anyone is "knee deep" in this yet?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 01:57 PM   #11
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

I tried the android app and here are my observations so far:

There are settings for justification, line spacing and margins, except the margin setting is missing on my Boyue T62. Luckily the default margin isn't too big, unlike the Kindle app which has huge margins even on the narrow setting. You have a choice of light, dark, and sepia themes.

There appears to be only four font sizes to choose from on a rather unresponsive slider. It seems like you need to tap on or drag to the exact spot on the slider to increase the font size, but to decrease the size you can tap anywhere below the current font size. The largest font size on my T62 is still a bit too small. The only font choices are default, monospace and Roboto.

You can set the brightness, but there needs to be a setting to use the current system brightness.

The app didn't do too well with the CSS on my first book. The first line in the Kindle sample of the book had the first line in small caps, and Hoopla left it in normal casing and size. The reason I noticed this is because the first line had a proper name in lower case.

I installed the app on my Nexus 7, my Boyue T62, and my Nexus 5. When I tried to download the same book to all three, I got a message "Sorry, but the publisher will not allow you to download this title to any more devices" on the third device. You're limited to two devices? That's a bit ridiculous especially considering that there doesn't appear to be a way to remove a book from a device. Overdrive doesn't have the same restrictions and they deal with bigger publishers.

Last edited by Purple Lady; 05-14-2015 at 10:32 PM.
Old 05-14-2015, 02:30 PM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Have I waited long enough to ask if anyone is "knee deep" in this yet?
I was trying not to say that.
It took longer than I thought it would for it to come up.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:22 PM   #13
markom
Banned
markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs t1 kindle dx ipad
Quote:

If it is allowed in your country, for personal use only, you can simply take the screenshots of the ebook using tablet (with desired page settings) and then read those jpegs on your eink or convert those jpegs to epub, pdf beforehand.

You can take screenshots of just 50 or 100 pages (for about minute or two) just for that day reading session or all at once for the whole ebook; takes about ten-fifteen minutes if it's about 300-500 pages.

Last edited by markom; 05-14-2015 at 09:45 PM.
markom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:48 PM   #14
trainboy
trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trainboy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Yes, collections vary by library. Unlike OverDrive and 3M libraries pay per borrow with hoopla.

Btw, I believe hoopla added ebooks late last year. See:
http://www.infodocket.com/2015/05/14...ilable-online/

g

Quote:
I'm finding 96 eBook titles at the Free Library of Philadelphia. EDITED: Obviously I am missing a lot, per the last post.

Does the collection vary from library to library?

I did discover one book I'd like to read. The Free Library of Philadelphia also has it in its Overdrive collection, as does my small suburban library. When ready, I'll get it, in Kindle format, from one of those.

trainboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:32 PM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
I was trying not to say that.
It took longer than I thought it would for it to come up.
It was almost the first response. I resisted as long as I could.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote