Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-23-2017, 10:37 AM   #1
mrprobert
mrprobert began at the beginning.

Device: None
Sigil 0.9.8 not updating toc.ncx

Hi,

I am using Sigil 0.9.8's table of contents editor to modify the TOC of an epub3. toc.xhtml gets updated but toc.ncx doesn't. Shouldn't toc.ncx be updated after doing the edits?

Thanks for your help.

- Mark
mrprobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #2
mrprobert

I forgot to mention that EpubCheck finds no errors in the modified epub.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:54 AM   #3
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
For epub3 the TOC tools work on the nav. For epub2 they work on the toc.ncx.
So ... You should run the Tool to create/update it manually once before saving your completed epub3 to force the toc.ncx to be in sync with the edited toc information in the nav.

At some point, creating a toc.ncx for epub3 will be the role of an output plugin and not part of the standard epub3. Right now, we have decided to keep it but you must manually rebuild any toc.ncx from the nav if you make changes once before the end.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 10:27 PM   #4
mrprobert

The original epub didn't have a nav so I back-door edited the epub to set the version to 2.0, ran ePub3-itizer, and went from there. Thanks for the help!
Old 07-02-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
vinix
vinix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (6th Gen)
I also ran into this problem in Sigil 0.9.9. I have to manually run "Tools -> Epub3 Tools -> Generate NCX from Nav" everytime I added a chapter.

I tried the trick @mrprobert offered, but even if I use the file generated by ePub3-itizer, Sigil didn't update toc.ncx automatically, still.

Why syncing toc.ncx and nav.xhtml must be run manually? Does it mean toc.ncx is not needed for epub3 and I can delete it without any compatibility problem?

I found that if I opened such a epub file in Moon+ Reader, it will read the content of toc.ncx rather than nav.xhtml, and the result is some of the chapters can not be accessed.

Last edited by vinix; 07-02-2018 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Add more info
vinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2018, 08:37 AM   #6
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The toc.ncx is technically not to be used in epub3 and need not be present. Epub3 readers should always ignore it in favour of the nav. Sigil supports including a toc.ncx in an epub3 so that older epub2 based readers can still be used to read the epub3. If making an epub3, wait until you have fully edited the nav and then use the simple tool for epub3 we provide to sync the toc.ncx to the nav. You also should rebuild the manifest properties just to be safe.
Old 07-02-2018, 08:41 AM   #7
KevinH
Sigil Developer

BTW, if you really want to create an epub3 that is not backwards compatible with epub2 e-readers, I believe there are ouput plugins for Sigil that will remove the toc.ncx on save.
Old 07-02-2018, 10:32 AM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by vinix View Post
Why syncing toc.ncx and nav.xhtml must be run manually? Does it mean toc.ncx is not needed for epub3
Yes. That's exactly what it means.

Quote:
and I can delete it without any compatibility problem?
Technically you could, but the existence of a toc.ncx is still tightly entwined with Sigil's internals, so Sigil includes one (though it's empty unless you generate/edit the contents). And any epub2 rendering system that attempts to open your epub3 will use the ncx if present.

You can leave it: and Epub3 readers will ignore it. Or if you want to remove it, I've written an output plugin that will save the epub3 without the toc.ncx.

The best practice in my opinion is to wait until editing is complete, and then run "Generate NCX from Nav" if you're making an epub3 that will be readable in epub2 reading systems. Otherwise, ignore the ncx completely.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-02-2018 at 10:36 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 04:50 AM   #9
vinix
vinix began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 (6th Gen)
Thanks for explanation. It seems that Moon+ Reader didn't fully EPUB3 standard-compliant and will always use .ncx if exist. I've forward this message to the author.

But if the presence of .ncx is for backward compatibility, Sigil should sync it with nav automatically if both files are existed, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Yes. That's exactly what it means.

Technically you could, but the existence of a toc.ncx is still tightly entwined with Sigil's internals, so Sigil includes one (though it's empty unless you generate/edit the contents). And any epub2 rendering system that attempts to open your epub3 will use the ncx if present.

You can leave it: and Epub3 readers will ignore it. Or if you want to remove it, I've written an output plugin that will save the epub3 without the toc.ncx.

The best practice in my opinion is to wait until editing is complete, and then run "Generate NCX from Nav" if you're making an epub3 that will be readable in epub2 reading systems. Otherwise, ignore the ncx completely.

Last edited by vinix; 07-12-2018 at 05:02 AM.
vinix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2018, 09:02 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
But if the presence of .ncx is for backward compatibility, Sigil should sync it with nav automatically if both files are existed, isn't it?
No. Not in my opinion. Many people who create epub3s have no interest in an up-to-date, vestigial, ncx. So we don't force it on them. We've given those who DO care any easy way to sync it themselves. Mission accomplished.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote