Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-08-2010, 06:11 AM   #1
kukyakya
kukyakya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
How can i make an update package to reboot Kindle after updating?

I'm writing a package which contains an init script to be started when Kindle restarts.

I wrote an installer script, which put the init script into /etc/init.d/xxxxx and symlinks to /etc/rcS.d/S80xxxxx .

I expected that kindle reboots after updating but it seems that it doesn't. The kindle framework restarts but not reboot.

I tried to put /sbin/reboot to the end of the installer script, but an update failure screen was displayed after rebooting and I should R 4 button to resume the kindle.

How can i make it reboots after updating?

P.S. I also tried making /tmp/.shutdown file in the installer script, but it literally shuts down kindle.
kukyakya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
kukyakya
kukyakya began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
found that it doesn't need to reboot.

When kindle reboots, the default runlevel 2 inits, and again to the normal runlevel 5. If i choose to update kindle, it goes into the update runlevel 3 and back to the normal runlevel 5 when the updates's done.

So I made a symlink S71xxxxx in /etc/rc5.d/ and K71xxxxx in /etc/rc3.d/ . The init script starts and stops when i restart my kindle or update a package.

Here's kindle's runlevel :

runlevel 2 : boot runlevel ( default runlevel defined in /etc/inittab )
goes to runlevel 5 by /etc/rc2.d/S50battcheck
runlevel 3 : update runlevel
goes to runlevel 5 by /etc/rc3.d/S50updater
runlevel 4 : diagnose runlevel
reboots by /etc/rc4.d/S99diag_reboot
runlevel 5 : normal runlevel
runs the framework
runlevel 6 : kernel toggle runlevel
seems that toggles kernel by /etc/rc6.d/S50kernel_toggle and reboots by /etc/rc6.d/S95reboot ( don't know what toggle means )
kukyakya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #3
jyavenard
Zealot
jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jyavenard has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kukyakya View Post
How can i make it reboots after updating?
With the newer OS, and the new packager which jailbreak your phone before installing the package, then restore it : you don't want to.

If you did, the Amazon standard upgrade package will stop working.

After installing an update, you'll have to instruct users to go into the settings menu and select "restart"
jyavenard is offline   Reply With Quote