Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 05-11-2009, 04:18 AM   #1
sabretache
sabretache began at the beginning.

Device: Bebook
Notes and Footnotes

First post - apologies for its length.

I have been the proud owner of a Bebook for about 3 weeks now. During that time I have climbed a fairly steep learning curve in terms of file formats, conversions and ebook editing/creating software. Obviously I'm no expert (yet ) but neither am I completely ignorant of the major issues facing mass take-up of the technology. I have standardised (provisionally) on the Mobipocket format, if only because I've found Mobipocket Creator to be the simplest quick-and-dirty way of importing various other formats and producing an immediately readable result without the need to construct templates for the required pages size etc.

So, having got that out of the way, here is my biggest and seemingly most intractable problem. It concerns notes and especially footnotes. Using Notepad - or any HTML editor - it is simple enough to link a note number in the text to a note; likewise to produce a link from the note back to the text, but when there are literally hundreds of notes it can become very tedious and prone to 'difficult to undo' errors. Since flipping to and from a note or footnote ALWAYS involves a pair of links, what would be nice is a piece of editing software which, at the very least, handles such links in pairs.

Older books tend to have footnotes rather that notes grouped at the end of chapters or at the end of the entire book. When there are lots of them, with some spanning more than the equivalent of a page of normal text, the book can become near impossible to follow.

So, question: does anyone know of any HTML or other editing software aimed at these issues; and what are others experiences and observations on the matter?
sabretache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 04:32 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
BD does a reasonable job of it, but it only handles "one way" links.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert