Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Which book shall we read for April?
The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne 8 19.51%
The American Senator by Anthony Trollope 12 29.27%
A High Wind in Jamaica by Richard Hughes 6 14.63%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 17.07%
The Sheltering Sky by Paul Bowles 4 9.76%
A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 19 46.34%
Animal Farm by George Orwell 16 39.02%
The Good Soldier Svejk by Jaroslav Hasek 6 14.63%
All Men Are Mortal by Simone de Beauvoir 7 17.07%
The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper 7 17.07%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-01-2013, 06:12 PM   #61
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post
Ok, I see the book voted on. Now where do we go to join the club?
There will be a discussion thread started on the 20th.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #62
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
And welcome to MobileRead and the Book Club, gal_amy!
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 07:04 PM   #63
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gal_amy View Post
Ok, I see the book voted on. Now where do we go to join the club?
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
There will be a discussion thread started on the 20th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
And welcome to MobileRead and the Book Club, gal_amy!
Indeed, gal_amy, by taking part you've already joined. See you on April 20th for a discussion of A Study in Scarlet. The discussion thread will appear in the Book Club sticky section on that day, and will also be announced on MobileRead's home page.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:20 PM   #64
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
"The game is afoot!"
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #65
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
"The game is afoot!"
. Someone had to say it, I guess .

I am pleased it won, and look forward to revisiting an old friend.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #66
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
. Someone had to say it, I guess .
Yep, just lucky I guess.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:16 PM   #67
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes, I am looking forward to revisiting Holmes and Watson. It must be about 50 years since I first read the books, I realise. (I was quite young at the time!)
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:11 AM   #68
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookpossum View Post
It must be about 50 years since I first read the books, I realise. (I was quite young at the time!)
40+ years for me. I remember reading quite a few Sherlock Holmes when in my early teens but haven't read any since.
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:20 AM   #69
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asawi View Post
40+ years for me. I remember reading quite a few Sherlock Holmes when in my early teens but haven't read any since.
Yes, getting on for about 40 years for me too, though I have read a few of the short stories more recently (5 or 6 years ago?)
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:39 AM   #70
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Yes, getting on for about 40 years for me too, though I have read a few of the short stories more recently (5 or 6 years ago?)
It has been some decades (I won't specify how many} since I first read it. Just for fun, yesterday, I watched A Study in Pink from Sherlock and I was amazed how much of the original novel is still there in Moffat's updated approach--in spirit if not in substance.

I look forward to visiting Doyle's creation again and am glad it won.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 04-03-2013 at 10:43 AM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:49 AM   #71
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

The 1st Sherlock Holmes I ever read was "The Hound of The Baskervilles." I had gotten it via one of those book flyers that they gave out to kids at school when I was in grade school. That was some 30 odd yrs ago at least. I remember I took it with me that summer when I went to stay with my paternal grandmother for a week or so.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #72
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

My first time reading of Sherlock Holmes stories was from a collection bound as The Complete Sherlock Holmes as I recall. A Study In Scarlet was indeed the first story in the book, and that had me hooked. Not until I had read the complete collection did I consider any other reading. This was over 45 years ago. The Complete Sherlock Holmes did not include The Hound of The Baskervilles. I did not read that for the first time until some time later, probably a few years. I have read most of the stories a number of times, the last time being just a few years ago when I found them in ebook form here.
Old 04-10-2013, 01:03 AM   #73
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
This is my first time reading A Study in Scarlet and it was the first story in The Complete Sherlock Holmes: with an introduction from Robert Ryan - Simon and Schuster Digital Sales. I picked it up for free when it was offered on Amazon in December.

I was a bit confused when the middle part started and kept trying to go forward and back to see what happened. Then I figured it out.

I also downloaded and listened to the LibriVox version Read by Bob Neufeld afterwards. I am glad this was chosen.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 07:21 AM   #74
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
He, he, I guessed right then about Holmes. Have read it and liked it. Not enough wifi/ time for another two weeks to participate in the discussions though.
( I'm glad it wasn't Orwell as I read that at school some lots of years ago..)
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #75
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
This is my first time reading A Study in Scarlet and it was the first story in The Complete Sherlock Holmes: with an introduction from Robert Ryan - Simon and Schuster Digital Sales. I picked it up for free when it was offered on Amazon in December.

I was a bit confused when the middle part started and kept trying to go forward and back to see what happened. Then I figured it out.

I also downloaded and listened to the LibriVox version Read by Bob Neufeld afterwards. I am glad this was chosen.
Thanks for the link Dreams. Several of the stories have that kind of flashback (The sign of Four for example) at least as portrayed in the TV versions I've seen.