Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook > PocketBook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-07-2013, 04:59 AM   #1
Roddy
Roddy began at the beginning.

Device: Pocketbook 622 Touch
E-ink reader as external display

Dear all,
Maybe this is just another project of making an e-reader external display, but I didn't find any similar solution.
The objectives of the project are:
- The device is placed in the factory at the entrance to one of departments.
- The device is displaying the list of logged in employees so anybody who visits the department can see who is "on duty".
- Upon evacuation, the rescue supervisor grabs the device so the rescue team has got a list of employees which were inside before the alarm.
- The display is refreshing - let's say once a minute - when put into place and freezes when grabbed.
- Minimum modification of reader's software and maximum reliability working 24/7/365.

Preliminarly I thought about two options:
1. Connect the reader by WiFi to the company network and prepare the web page in company intranet. Run the page on reader's web browser.
Question: If I set i.e. <meta http-equiv="Refresh" content="60" /> will it work on Pocketbook's browser?
2. Connet the reader to the PC which will upload once a minute the file with the content to display (text, html, bmp, whatever). This makes the reader independent from WiFi network operation and sure the content would freeze when disconnected.
Question: Is there a program for Pocketbook to display any content which will refresh it at desired time interval or when the content is overwritten?

I don't feel convenient to write any software by myself, I did never program in Linux. It is possible to purchase the program from european company which can issue vat invoice.

Best regards.
Roddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2013, 04:03 PM   #2
MartinZ
Zealot
MartinZ doesn't litterMartinZ doesn't litter

Device: PB903, PB603
E-ink reader as external display

Hi,

this functionality does not seem too complicated to me.

I see a big problem however concerning reliability:
If we create a program, it always relies on the pocketbook's firmware and it's programming interface "inkview".
We have no influence on crashing system libs or the underlying Linux kernel.

If that's OK for you, i guess it would be no problem to write a tool, like you decribed:
it should be possible to periodically "wget" a bmp or png file from a web server running on a pc in your company's Intranet and push it to the framebuffer.
Of course the web server will have to periodically update the image - but that's on the PC's side, where programming is much easier than on your pocketbook.
MartinZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert