Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 12:46 AM   #1
tok
tok began at the beginning.

Device: none
upgrade error and now the install is completely broken

I am currently running Calibre v7.14 on Ubuntu v9.10. When I try to upgrade to 7.17, I get the following error:

Code:
$ sudo python -c "import urllib2; exec urllib2.urlopen('http://status.calibre-ebook.com/linux_installer').read(); main()"                                                           
Enter the installation directory for calibre [/opt]: /usr/local                           
Will download and install calibre-0.7.17-i686.tar.bz2                                     
                         Downloading calibre-0.7.17-i686.tar.bz2                          
100% [================================================================================]   
                                                                                          Downloaded 36563743 bytes                                                                 
Checking downloaded file integrity...                                                     

bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing.
        Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted.
You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files.     

You can use the `bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover
data from undamaged sections of corrupted files.

tar: Unexpected EOF in archive
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
Failed to download, retrying in 30 seconds...
Will download and install calibre-0.7.17-i686.tar.bz2
I've also tried the install by downloading the bzip file manually, extracting it and copying it into the old calibre installation directory, but then I get the error message:
Code:
"Bad database location u'media/books/Calibre Library'.  Will start with a new, empty calibre library"

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 205, in initialize_db
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/library/database2.py", line 144, in __init__
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/library/database2.py", line 302, in initialize_dynamic
KeyError: 'grouped_search_terms'
But even that doesn't work when I select a new, empty location I get this error message:

Code:
"Bad database location u'/home/tok'. calibre will now quit."

File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/gui2/main.py", line 191, in initialize_db_stage2
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/library/database2.py", line 144, in __init__
  File "/home/kovid/build/calibre/src/calibre/library/database2.py", line 302, in initialize_dynamic
KeyError: 'grouped_search_terms'
The worst of it is when I copy the old calibre directory back, I still get the above "bad database location" errors, so my old install of Calibre no longer works!

What the heck?? I'm pretty sure that I installed 7.14 from the binary install. Any ideas on what I can try to get this working again?

Thanks, tok

Last edited by tok; 09-04-2010 at 12:52 AM. Reason: adding traceback info
tok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:51 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
you cant download and extract into the old install directory, you have to delete the old directory first.

I would suggest deleting the old directory, then installing the latest version and start calibre as

calibre --with-library /path/to/library

where path to library points to your library folder or an existing empty folder
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 09:09 PM   #3
tok

SOLVED: upgrade error and now the install is completely broken

I moved the old directory contents out of the way before I copied the new bzip files into the directory. I have three directories sitting out there, oldcalibre, newcalibre and calibre. To try out the new installation, I blow away the calibre directory and then copy over newcalibre into calibre.

But at least starting Calibre with --with-library does work for the old installation now, and I actually only had to do that once and now Calibre starts properly without the --with-library.

Unfortunately, I still can't get the latest version to work....Aha! I fixed it. Egads, I did something stupid. When I did the manual unzip of the bz2 file, I did it as myself and not as root. So when I sudo copied the directory over to the original installation directory, the files were still owned by me. Duh.

Thanks for the quick response, Kovid!

--tok
Old 09-04-2010, 09:10 PM   #4
tok

Oh and the binary install still doesn't work for me.
Old 10-09-2010, 03:15 PM   #5
romanov99
romanov99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I'm having a very similar problem but on Windows XP

I am trying to upgrade to the latest version. I uninstall, search through and delete any remaining directories and files with "calibre" in them, and then install the new version. Install goes fine, but when I try to run Calibre for the first time I get a "database is corrupted" message with these details:

Quote:
Corrupted database: Your calibre database appears to be corrupted. Do you want calibre to try and repair it automatically? If you say No, a new empty calibre library will be created.

File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 205, in initialize_db
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 151, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 124, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 363, in initialize_database
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 211, in run
DatabaseException: table authors already exists
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 175, in run
OperationalError: table authors already exists
When I try to repair the database it fails, and when I try to create a new one it fails. Help!
romanov99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2010, 03:18 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
delete the file metadata.db in the library folder, it is corrupted.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:19 PM   #7
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
What version are you upgrading from?
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:33 PM   #8
romanov99
romanov99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
That did it! Thank you very much for the quick response. I could have sworn I had removed all of the metadata files before, but obviously I missed it.

Keep up the good work on the great program!
romanov99 is offline   Reply With Quote