Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-25-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
dereksurfs
dereksurfs began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Making a duplicate of a fully functional CM7 image

Hello,

I would like to clone a microSD with a customized CM7 I have built and is in a fully functional state. The reason for this is I plan to buy additional Nooks for family members. And rather than go through all the steps again including post installation configuration and installation of preferred apps I would simply like to place a clone of that on additional cards.

At work some of the guys use Norton Ghost to create mirror images of hard drives. Is there something similar for SD cards and Android based systems? If so what would be the most efficient and effective cloning route? Open source or lower cost tools are of course preferred.

I used the free open source Win 32 Disk Imager utility to install the inital image. But it is designed primarily for writing images to an SD card, not creating them.

Thanks,

Derek

Last edited by dereksurfs; 03-25-2012 at 05:12 PM.
dereksurfs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksurfs View Post
Hello,

I would like to clone a microSD with a customized CM7 I have built and is in a fully functional state. The reason for this is I plan to buy additional Nooks for family members. And rather than go through all the steps again including post installation configuration and installation of preferred apps I would simply like to place a clone of that on additional cards.

At work some of the guys use Norton Ghost to create mirror images of hard drives. Is there something similar for SD cards and Android based systems? If so what would be the most efficient and effective cloning route? Open source or lower cost tools are of course preferred.

I used the free open source Win 32 Disk Imager utility to install the inital image. But it is designed primarily for writing images to an SD card, not creating them.

Thanks,

Derek
If you are running CM7 off the internal eMMC, then you can use RomManager to make a backup of your image to the SD card. You would then boot into Recovery on your target device, and restore that image. Keep in mind that everything will be restored, including logging details to Gmail, G+ and so on.

If you are running CM7 off the SD card, I can't talk for Windows, but on Linux you would use the dd tool from the shell.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:27 PM   #3
goldberry
Groupie
goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.goldberry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindles (wife's), now obsolete Nook and Sony
Simple task if you are going to run from an SD card. Simply pop card in a USB reader and using Win32diskimager simply use read and copy the image to your hard drive. Then use write to put it on each SD card. It will make an identical copy.

Whether it will run when you place the card and boot in a new Nook is something I haven't tried but it should be fine. I use this method to back up mine to different SD cards when I want to try out a different ROM.
goldberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:02 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post
Simple task if you are going to run from an SD card. Simply pop card in a USB reader and using Win32diskimager simply use read and copy the image to your hard drive. Then use write to put it on each SD card. It will make an identical copy.

Whether it will run when you place the card and boot in a new Nook is something I haven't tried but it should be fine. I use this method to back up mine to different SD cards when I want to try out a different ROM.
I think the same caveat applies here - if you mirror the SD card, settings (including logging details) will be backed-up.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 12:25 PM   #5
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by dereksurfs View Post
I don't know the precise steps for W32DI (I use WinImage, just because it's the one I got to work first), but I'm sure you can use it to make an image of an existing disk--backing up images is, in fact, its primary purpose. Just look through the menus for the option to save or back up a drive.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 12:50 AM   #6
dereksurfs
dereksurfs began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldberry View Post

Ah ok, Read in Win32diskimager is actually designed for creating an image, I see. I'll give it a go.

Thanks,

Derek
dereksurfs is offline   Reply With Quote