Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #1
MonthOLDpickle
MonthOLDpickle began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Nook

I can either wait in line for a new nook wifi for 99, or goto buy.com and get the refurb.

Or buy a nook color...

I am at a lost. A little backstory about me and my reading. I have an old Mytouch 3G with like a 3" screen. LCD. Android powered with Kindle, Alkido, and Nook apps on it. Yes I use all three, but I haven't bought a book. I been reading the free ones. My eyes never hurt from it.

So should I jump on the nook color? My only concern is battery time. Glare not so much but too much is distracting. Maybe get the 99 and wait for a future device?

What do you all think?
MonthOLDpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, MonthOLDpickle

Have you tried out the nook color at a store near you?
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:12 PM   #3
MonthOLDpickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Welcome to MobileRead, MonthOLDpickle

Have you tried out the nook color at a store near you?
No..they still demoing out? I have to drive a bit south to get to the nearest B&N store. I was at the Borders and they didn't have a nook or a kindle. I will try today or this weekend. I guess I should have thought of this =S
Old 11-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonthOLDpickle View Post
No..they still demoing out? I have to drive a bit south to get to the nearest B&N store. I was at the Borders and they didn't have a nook or a kindle. I will try today or this weekend. I guess I should have thought of this =S
I was in my local BN store yesterday, and the nook display was front and center. You literally had to walk around it.

Both the color and regular one were displayed.....with "try us" type signs.....
Old 11-18-2010, 05:17 PM   #5
MonthOLDpickle

I did say Borders and not B&N...there is sadly not one near me. I am going to try it after work and see if its there even if I have to fight traffic both ways. =D
Old 11-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #6
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Good luck to you.

I think, tho, you need to use any device for more than just the few minutes you spend in a store with it before you can decide if its the right one for you.......

Should you decide to buy it, ask about their return policy.

The saddest thing in the world is an unhappy ebook owner!
Old 11-18-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
MonthOLDpickle

The nookcolor impressed me. Though I can see where some areas will be updated to make it better..maybe like a change-able battery. I just don't know.

Though I sat there for 20 minutes in bliss.

What should I get? Doesn't have to be nook but cant really be a kindle (epub).
Old 11-19-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
well if you really like the nook color, then get the worst thing you can do is overthink it, you'll drive yourself nuts.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 01:13 AM   #9
MonthOLDpickle

Also quick question, is the nook supported Internationally? Specifically Taiwan?
Old 11-19-2010, 09:35 AM   #10
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonthOLDpickle View Post
Also quick question, is the nook supported Internationally? Specifically Taiwan?
not as of yet, but there are ways around it. For example if your mailing and credit card addres is a U.S. address you are good to go.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #11
MonthOLDpickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
not as of yet, but there are ways around it. For example if your mailing and credit card addres is a U.S. address you are good to go.
Well..I am moving to Taiwan. Only thing I may have is a bank account. But the fee to transfer internationally does not just a 6 dollar ebook =p

What are my options now? Tablet PC w/ Android ?
Old 11-19-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
McNutt
McNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheeseMcNutt can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 3
I've heard that the refurbished Nooks look brand new and you'd never know they're refurbished. It sounds like a good way to save some money. But if you want a color then go for it. Get what you want, not what's going to save you a little bit of money.
McNutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #13
MonthOLDpickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutt View Post
I've heard that the refurbished Nooks look brand new and you'd never know they're refurbished. It sounds like a good way to save some money. But if you want a color then go for it. Get what you want, not what's going to save you a little bit of money.
I am moving to Taiwan. Some one mentioned keep a debit card and it should be fine but the transfer fee is only worth it if I am doing big purchases..which I won't be doing since I will be living in Taiwan. =(
Old 11-19-2010, 10:25 AM   #14
boswd
Banned

If you keep your US bank account, you can still use that number to keep the account alive. You can still buy books from other vendors and download them and then sideload them into your nook.

there is an international sub forum on the Nook forum here, I'm sure the international people can tell you some tricks of the trade
Old 11-19-2010, 02:09 PM   #15
Lsantiago7859
Enthusiast
Lsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterLsantiago7859 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Kobo Clara HD, Samsung 10.1 tablet, Nook HD+ and SONY PRS-T2
AnotherGRANDMA

Quote:
Originally Posted by McNutt View Post
This is the way I went, through Buy.com. Of course it will be a Xmas present for my grandson. He is not so much a reader as a student, I thought this would suit his purposes. I have a SONY, and I love it. He can't have it
Lsantiago7859 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
color, nook, nookcolor