Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-04-2010, 05:30 PM   #1
lunixer
Addict
lunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-bookslunixer has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3
I LOVE my kindle!

First ereader. Love at first sight. I have never held or seen a sleeker, more beautiful device. I had my doubts about the quality of the screen, but what everybody says is true: it looks identical to paper. I have read more today than in the past week and am sure that this pattern will continue, especially as I will be able to bring the device to school. My lone qualm: one of the books I bought was in topaz format, which was irritating as hell. But then, that's why amazon gives an incredibly generous 7-day return policy. Who else loves their device?
lunixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 05:37 PM   #2
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
First ereader. Love at first sight. I have never held or seen a sleeker, more beautiful device. I had my doubts about the quality of the screen, but what everybody says is true: it looks identical to paper. I have read more today than in the past week and am sure that this pattern will continue, especially as I will be able to bring the device to school. My lone qualm: one of the books I bought was in topaz format, which was irritating as hell. But then, that's why amazon gives an incredibly generous 7-day return policy. Who else loves their device?
Congratulations! Yes, there are many who love their Kindles. I have to agree - the K3 is sleek and a pleasure to read and hold.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 05:50 PM   #3
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
I lust mine .
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #4
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Awaiting delivery of Kindle 3, can't wait. Why oh why is it taking so long???
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 06:40 PM   #5
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Samples, anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunixer View Post
Amazon offers a sample download of every book. You just proved the worthwhile need to get the sample before purchase.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-04-2010, 07:57 PM   #6
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
I trio of circumstances in my life all just converged ...

1. I babysat one of our koi ... who was injured during a raccoon attack last night

2. I desired to READ outdoors during the day, which meant I could use my new prescription reader sunglasses, and

3. I took my K3 outside with me, after loading a few MP3 songs to the /music folder.

It was a very pleasant reading/listening experience. I desirted to turn the volume a wee bit down, though - and I am sure Amazon is working on a full-fledged MP3 player for us that will include VOL and such stuff.

YES - you will enjoy your new Kindle!
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 11:56 PM   #7
Viseguy
Just a kid from Bklyn
Viseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura aboutViseguy has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi; Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
Agree with you, lunixer. I love reading on my K3, and it's been problem-free so far. My first e-reader, too.
Viseguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 03:03 AM   #8
babyd
Addict
babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.babyd once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony:505, 600, 350, 650, Kindle 3 & PW, Kobo Mini & Aura HD
Ive had Sony Readers for a few years and enjoyed them........... BUT my Kindle 3 is pure love. I adore this thing!!!

My Sony allowed me to read ebooks, end of story........

My Kindle makes it fun ! My Sony was only as fun as the book I was reading on it, the Kindle is fun even when your not reading and just browsing or playing

I love everything, the store, the samples, the search functions, the keyboard, the collections being accessed while on the kindle, the screen, the wireless delivery of books from Amazon and Calibre, sending newspapers to my kindle. All that and its mega cute too
I can't ever see me being kindle-less now, not ever, I love it way too much to part with it.
babyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 09:07 AM   #9
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I love my K3 too. It does so much more than my previous reader and the screen is just excellent. I love everything about it. I love that I can look up words while reading, make notes, highlight, pop onto the kindle store/net whenever I fancy. I love how it feels in my hands, I love the lightness and the way it looks. I love the keypad. Most of all I love the fact that I can use it without the fear of it crashing, like my Sony did. Everything is so smooth and fast on my kindle.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 12:50 PM   #10
notatoad
Enthusiast
notatoad began at the beginning.

Device: Graphite Kindle 3G
why is topaz format irritating? isn't it just a different type of DRM?
notatoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 01:49 PM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
why is topaz format irritating? isn't it just a different type of DRM?
No, in fact, the DRM on a topaz book is the exact same as the azw(mobi). Topaz is a different book format altogether. It uses a process that draws individual glyphs on the screen in a reflowable manner rather than relying on the standard Kindle fonts. I've seen some topaz books that were formatted beautifully, but usually, it results in a file that is bloated, slow (page turns), and unable to be customized well. The search function returns unexpected results because it relies on the underlying crappy OCR (which is included in the file).

It's a whole 'nother beast which probably never should have been born.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote