Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-10-2019, 09:47 AM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
PageEdit-0.8.0 Released

PageEdit-0.8.0

For the impatient, the binary files (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the PageEdit Github Release page.

PageEdit-0.8.0 is is primarily a new features release.

The major new features include the addition of Find and Spellchecking. In addition, the user now can set Preferences to determine how they would like to handle how PageEdit handles sequences of whitespace by either injecting non-breaking spaces (the default) or setting styles to use white-space:pre-wap.

In addition by setting the environment variable "PAGEEDIT_ENABLE_WORD_PASTE_CLEANUP" to 1 will enable extra cleanup code during Save that will remove much of the cruft leftover when pasting formatted text from Microsoft Word into PageEdit. This feature is experimental and can remove both xhtml comments and remove any style tags used in the body (not head!).

Here is a more complete list of the changes:

New Features
  • add user preferences to control use of white-space:pre-wrap vs nbsp chars
  • add user preferences to set spellchecking dictionary
  • add SpellChecking capability for QWebEngine Dictionaries
    (.bdic modified version of Hunspell dictionaries)
  • add Find capability (no replace just as in BookView)
  • allow cleanup after paste from Word during Save using
    environment variable:PAGEEDIT_ENABLE_WORD_PASTE_CLEANUP
    Note: risky since it removes style tags that are in the body and all xhtml comments

Bug Fixes
  • remove spurious newlines in injected user stylesheets and controls (Thanks BeckyDTP!)
  • actually compare source to detect all changes
  • fix macOS specific bug that allowed multiple Dockwidget MainWindows to become tabs
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 03:16 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
How to install additional spellcheck dictionaries

PageEdit only comes with spellcheck dictionaries for English, French, German and Spanish.

To install additional PageEdit spellcheck dictionaries:

1. Close all PageEdit instances and visit the Chromium hunspell_dictionaries website.

2. Download the .bdic dictionary file for the language that you want to install. For example, it-IT-3-0.bdic for Italian.

3. Copy it to the PageEdit qtwebengine_dictionaries folder.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-11-2019, 04:21 AM   #3
Springbok
Enthusiast
Springbok began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch
Well done. This spellcheck function in PageEdit is really nice.

Now, one can limit spellcheck to single file level if required (this option is missing in Sigil as browsing though the codeview window for spell errors is not the same).

It would be even more beatiful if there was a functionality to extend these installed dictionaries with user defined words. Such thing may be not that important for english speaking users but when you often deal with translated ebooks than it becomes very handy. Just a small wish for future...
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 04:59 AM   #4
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur
Sam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litter

Device: lambda k21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
PageEdit-0.8.0

For the impatient, the binary files (and source) can be found as assets at the bottom of the PageEdit Github Release page.

PageEdit-0.8.0 is is primarily a new features release.

The major new features include the addition of Find and Spellchecking. In addition, the user now can set Preferences to determine how they would like to handle how PageEdit handles sequences of whitespace by either injecting non-breaking spaces (the default) or setting styles to use white-spacere-wap.

In addition by setting the environment variable "PAGEEDIT_ENABLE_WORD_PASTE_CLEANUP" to 1 will enable extra cleanup code during Save that will remove much of the cruft leftover when pasting formatted text from Microsoft Word into PageEdit. This feature is experimental and can remove both xhtml comments and remove any style tags used in the body (not head!).

Here is a more complete list of the changes:

New Features
  • add user preferences to control use of white-spacere-wrap vs nbsp chars
  • add user preferences to set spellchecking dictionary
  • add SpellChecking capability for QWebEngine Dictionaries
    (.bdic modified version of Hunspell dictionaries)
  • add Find capability (no replace just as in BookView)
  • allow cleanup after paste from Word during Save using
    environment variable:PAGEEDIT_ENABLE_WORD_PASTE_CLEANUP
    Note: risky since it removes style tags that are in the body and all xhtml comments

Bug Fixes
  • remove spurious newlines in injected user stylesheets and controls (Thanks BeckyDTP!)
  • actually compare source to detect all changes
  • fix macOS specific bug that allowed multiple Dockwidget MainWindows to become tabs
Where can I read what is PageEdit and what is it for?
Sam Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2019, 07:11 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Sahara View Post
Where can I read what is PageEdit and what is it for?
Have you tried looking at the main readme for the PageEdit github repo linked to in all of the PageEdit release notices? https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/PageEdit
Advert
Old 08-11-2019, 08:36 AM   #6
Sam Sahara
Connoisseur
Sam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litterSam Sahara doesn't litter

Device: lambda k21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Have you tried looking at the main readme for the PageEdit github repo linked to in all of the PageEdit release notices? https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/PageEdit
No, I looked at the link given in the first post (https://github.com/Sigil-Ebook/PageE...ases/tag/0.8.0).
Sam Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #7
LorieD
LorieD began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and all epub formats
Any chance that Page Edit will automatically refresh when changes are made in the coding? I don't see a function anywhere in page edit to allow me to refresh.

Also - it would be helpful if there weren't a delay when I try to open Page Edit and if opening each new xhtml file didn't require opening another new window. I've got way too many windows open already on multiple screens so adding more windows to my workflow is really not helpful.

I've been using Sigil for years now - I'm a book designer who does ebook conversion CORRECTLY. I actually do know HTML and use it to clean up what InDesign does. I specialize in making beautiful and functional ebooks to match the print books that I produce for clients.

So I'm not afraid of the coding. I really love it, but I am a visual person and really need to be able to verify quickly that my coding adjustments have rendered the desired results.

For now I'm reverting back to 9.14 since I can't afford to slow down my workflow. Hoping that Page Edit will continue to get better and that I'll be able to make the shift eventually though. I'll keep checking back.
LorieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:42 PM   #8
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Have you tried coding in xhtml and using Sigil's built in Preview window to visually see what you have changed in real time?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorieD View Post
Any chance that Page Edit will automatically refresh when changes are made in the coding? I don't see a function anywhere in page edit to allow me to refresh.

Also - it would be helpful if there weren't a delay when I try to open Page Edit and if opening each new xhtml file didn't require opening another new window. I've got way too many windows open already on multiple screens so adding more windows to my workflow is really not helpful.

I've been using Sigil for years now - I'm a book designer who does ebook conversion CORRECTLY. I actually do know HTML and use it to clean up what InDesign does. I specialize in making beautiful and functional ebooks to match the print books that I produce for clients.

So I'm not afraid of the coding. I really love it, but I am a visual person and really need to be able to verify quickly that my coding adjustments have rendered the desired results.

For now I'm reverting back to 9.14 since I can't afford to slow down my workflow. Hoping that Page Edit will continue to get better and that I'll be able to make the shift eventually though. I'll keep checking back.
KevinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2019, 02:59 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

I agree. If you're primarily using Code View to make your edits. Just use Preview to see the live changes. No need to use Book View or PageEdit for that sort of thing. Just park Preview on a second monitor and visualize to your heart's content. Book View and Preview are both primarily for people who want/need to edit in a wysiwyg environment.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:43 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
Have you tried coding in xhtml and using Sigil's built in Preview window to visually see what you have changed in real time?
Viz:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-08-14 092722.jpg
Views:	567
Size:	611.0 KB
ID:	172908

I never used BookView, because I don't use button bars I never 'got' why it even existed for the first few years I used Sigil.

The best thing about Page Edit is that it now shows any misspelt words via red underline (I wish Preview had that) - it also gives me a resizable window I can play around with, without disturbing my editing layout.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 02:29 PM   #11
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
BR - do you have a 2nd monitor setup?? I have been undocking the preview window and putting it there....it provides a resizable window AND allows more landscape for code-view.

Spelling - Is that what all those red lines are for?!?!?!?!?
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 06:31 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle91 View Post
BR - do you have a 2nd monitor setup?? I have been undocking the preview window and putting it there....it provides a resizable window AND allows more landscape for code-view.

Spelling - Is that what all those red lines are for?!?!?!?!?
My second monitor does far more important things that piss-farting around with epub editor windows, like watching stock prices soar one day and tumble the next, but even more important than that - watching the Aussies whitewash the Poms in the Ashes

Added: my main monitor is 24" 2560x1440, apart from video I never have anything full screen, don't like editing in wide windows.

I'll only break out to PageEdit intermittently for a short periods to get an inkling of what something looks like in a small window when I have text flow around tables and pictures etc. Because it's new its a bit of a novelty; so I'm probably doing it more than I ought. I like the red underlining of misspellings, which is something I've long yearned for in Preview (hint, hint to all epub editor developers).

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-14-2019 at 07:22 PM.
Old 08-15-2019, 01:51 PM   #13
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No promises but .... we are thinking about allowing PageEdit to accept on launch an opf or a simple sorted list of file paths in spine order as xml. Then have PageEdit dynamically build a navigation menu, and forward and back keys, so that a user of Sigil could use PageEdit to more easily visually proof and spellcheck the xhtml documents in the spine in sequence without having to go back to Sigil to just load the next chapter.

If a PageEdit user makes any change and then hits forward or back arrows, the user will be prompted to save or discard, and the next file on the list will be loaded automatically (with wraparound at each end of the list).

Would you use a feature like that? With it and the current spellcheck PageEdit has built in it should make final proofing and very very minor edits easier.

Is this worth chasing?
Old 08-15-2019, 02:40 PM   #14
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Thinking about it from a non-Sigil dependant epub developer tool, if someone unzipped an epub and navigated PageEdit to the opf, it should be able to build up its own ordered list of xhtml file paths in spine order quite easily using a QXmlStreamReader like we do in Sigil.

So having this capability in PageEdit makes sense in the long run anyway.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:09 PM   #15
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

I think you'd need to add Ignore, Ignore all, and Add to dictionary to the misspelling context menu.

Some users prefer to have a list of misspellings - there's a thread somewhere in which it was discussed, a consequence of which was that Toxaris developed something similar to Sigil's spell checker for his Word Add-in.

This maybe germane:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Annotation 2019-08-16 103720.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	252.9 KB
ID:	172940

The Bowpad and Notepad++ instances were started by Sigil's Open With.

FWIW the tree in Bowpad can be turned on an off a'la Sigil's Book Browser, its a bit more awkward in Notepad++, you have to open the folder, rather than a file in the folder.

There maybe reasons, other than proofreading, that would make the ability to PageEdit multiple files in the same instance attractive.

Curious - how would Sigil keep track of which files PageEdit changed. At the moment if I open chapter01.xhtml in Bowpad, make changes, save, then open chapter02.xhtml, make changes and save, and then exit Bowpad; Sigil will only pick-up the changes I make to Chapter01.xhtml. That's okay, 'cause that's what's written on the tin - but if there's to be a multi-file PageEdit, why not multi-file any Open With?

I'd rather have red underlines in Preview

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 08-15-2019 at 09:12 PM.