Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-06-2016, 12:31 PM   #1336
nurseshelly
Connoisseur
nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nurseshelly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: galaxy tab, kindle oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Mine doesn't have light cones, except if I hold the reader at an extreme angle so I'm looking almost directly into the lighted edge. I can't see them while reading at any normal angle, and I don't see any color change on the screen.

My big gripe is I find the battery life not even close to as advertised, unless the battery life slider is wildly inaccurate. I read every night before going to bed and typically the kindle + cover drains 15% during one session. Doing the math, this leaves me with <7 days of reading before my Oasis is dead. I read probably 1-2 hours and have the light set on 8-10. I keep it on airplane mode unless I look something up in wikipedia, and when I'm done I put it back in airplane mode. There is no way I could ever get "months" of reading between charges on this device.
I think it's because the battery life that is advertised is for reading "30 minutes a day" - come on, who reads only 30 minutes a day and is spending money on a kindle oasis? Still with what you are getting that would only be 28 days-ish or less at 30 min/day.
nurseshelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:30 PM   #1337
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
My big gripe is I find the battery life not even close to as advertised,
Is it possible that it's still indexing your library? (I don't know, I just notice that my new (used) Kindles seem to have poor battery life when I first sync them -- sometimes up to a week it seems.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2016, 03:32 PM   #1338
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by nurseshelly View Post
I think it's because the battery life that is advertised is for reading "30 minutes a day" - come on, who reads only 30 minutes a day and is spending money on a kindle oasis? Still with what you are getting that would only be 28 days-ish or less at 30 min/day.
I take eInk battery life claims with a grain of salt. But eReaders are a whole lot better than tablets in this regard.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 03:39 PM   #1339
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I take eInk battery life claims with a grain of salt. But eReaders are a whole lot better than tablets in this regard.
My Voyage seems to have a battery life that's at least equal to the 21h (6 weeks at half an hour a day) that Amazon claim for it. I'd say it's rather better, in fact. I average about 3h a day reading, and I can go well over a week between charges.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 04:49 PM   #1340
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
My Paperwhite does really well too. I don't feel like they exaggerated at all.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-06-2016, 08:53 PM   #1341
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I got 4 days from full total charge out of my Oasis. It was the first full charge. Got it on Tuesday, charged it by 2pm, read 3 full books and started a fourth. I plugged it all in today when the cover was down to 16% and the kindle to 25%.

I keep wifi on at all times, light at 10 and read with font 4th in from the left.

With my Voyage and the same usage, I would have charge it at 2 days.

So far so good.

I never looked at that 30 minutes a day number. I read a lot, I will never get weeks or months out of a e-ink device. At least not until batteries get much smaller and stronger.
I used to have to read my K1 while plugged in all the time I would drain it that much. Those were the days.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 10:06 PM   #1342
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
Is it possible that it's still indexing your library? (I don't know, I just notice that my new (used) Kindles seem to have poor battery life when I first sync them -- sometimes up to a week it seems.)
Doubtful as I have <100 books on there. It's been >1 week so that should all be indexed.
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:51 AM   #1343
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Doubtful as I have <100 books on there. It's been >1 week so that should all be indexed.
Have you checked to see? Books can and do get stuck indexing.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 06:34 AM   #1344
lkmiller
Laura
lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lkmiller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Kobo Elipsa, Nook Glowlight Plus 7.8", Kindle Oasis 2
Ok, I admit, I'm a little jealous that the Oasis has actual numerical battery percentage shown.
lkmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 09:46 AM   #1345
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Really, even if battery life was only 2 weeks I'd be fine. We charge our phones, tablets, laptops, and various other electronics more often than that. And it's not like you can be awake and using your ereader 24/7 for the whole time of its battery use. Just plug it in when you're done reading if you see the battery is low.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 11:20 AM   #1346
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
And it's not like you can be awake and using your ereader 24/7 for the whole time of its battery use.
I suppose that is possible if you look at 21 hours of battery life for 6 weeks at 30 minutes per day. Many think that staying awake for a whole day is hard, but it really isn't. Ask some people on 3rd shift how they handle the first day of their weekend. I usually stay awake until normal people's bedtime. Plus, haven't we all done the horrible mistake of reading in bed and not getting any sleep for work? (I am so not doing that again. Yeah right until the next book you can't put down.)
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #1347
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by MGlitch View Post
Really, even if battery life was only 2 weeks I'd be fine. We charge our phones, tablets, laptops, and various other electronics more often than that. And it's not like you can be awake and using your ereader 24/7 for the whole time of its battery use. Just plug it in when you're done reading if you see the battery is low.
But two weeks is only seven hours by Amazon's calculation - 1/2 hour per day. I've read for more than seven hours straight before.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 02:32 PM   #1348
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Have you checked to see? Books can and do get stuck indexing.
All my books are indexed according to search.
Old 05-07-2016, 02:34 PM   #1349
Marcy
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkmiller View Post
Ok, I admit, I'm a little jealous that the Oasis has actual numerical battery percentage shown.

Only with the cover on. It tells you what percent the device and the cover have left.

I would have been more impressed if I could plug in the cover without the kindle. I read without the cover and if I could charge the cover while reading it would be super convenient. It seems it should be easy to plug the kindle in when I put it down for the night, but I usually read until I'm practically asleep then put the kindle down and fall asleep instantly, so I always forget to charge it.
Old 05-07-2016, 09:54 PM   #1350
MGlitch
Wizard
MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MGlitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Kobo Sage, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
But two weeks is only seven hours by Amazon's calculation - 1/2 hour per day. I've read for more than seven hours straight before.
I find I can get more than that on my H2O, despite Kobo having similar estimates. I've run into the issue of my ereaders battery dying while I was reading maybe once and I've been reading exclusively digital content for something like half a decade or more now.
MGlitch is offline   Reply With Quote