Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-20-2015, 11:54 PM   #1666
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avwriter View Post
I cannot document this, but my impression has been that if I uncheck the box that turns the sensor on and off, and then recheck it, that this resets it. Thereafter, leave the box checked, and adjust the lighting up and down as needed in different lighting conditions, and it will learn your preferences. My one caveat to this, is that the light will readjust sometimes if I inadvertently change the angle at which I am holding the Voyage, so that either more or less light is falling on the sensor. Ditto if you move your other arm so that it throws a shadow over the sensor. Took me a while to realize that this is why the light kept readjusting. You may also want to turn off the feature that automatically dims the light after a while when reading in a dark room.
That makes sense--I'll give it a go and see what happens. When I had the sensor on before it just seemed like it would adjust my light for no apparent reason--even going completely dark in a very dim room a couple times. I already have the night dimming feature off, so that wasn't it, and it seemed to happen almost immediately after I started to read. I know there are several people very happy with the auto adjusting light, so I know that mine should work better than it has so far. But if I can't get mine to work, it's not that big of a deal--I'm used to making my own adjustments on my PW2.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #1667
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Question about the light. This is the first Kindle I've had with a light and it has in the setting "use a low setting for dark rooms" and "use a high setting for brightly lit rooms". This seems counter intuitive to me, in a dark room I need the light to be higher and in a bright room I really don't need the light at all. Why does amazon recommend the light settings this way?
When in a dark room, would you pick up a flash light, turn it on, and then look straight into it? Probably not. You'd blind yourself. Same with the Kindle.

Also, in a dark room, a tiny bit of light goes a long way, while on a bright day, the daylight overpowers the front light, so you won't see that it's on except if it's at a very high setting. In such a situation you would use the front light to make the Kindle look whiter, not to have more light for reading.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2015, 07:28 AM   #1668
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
I'll update my feedback.

I returned my Kindle Voyage because of some frontlight problems.

I hesitated to invest in a Paperwhite 3... Then I saw refurbished Kindle Voyage at 149€ on Amazon.fr (instead 189€ for a new one)
Only 10€ more than a Paperwhite without Special offers.

I'm glad I did it. I received my new Kindle Voyage and it's really better than the first one.
Frontlight is better (yellow/white) and seems more natural to my eyes.
I hope everything will be OK with this one.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 11:26 PM   #1669
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I've had the Voyage for some weeks now and I love it. It's my long-awaited return to eink and my first Kindle ever and it's a hit on both counts. My eyes love it, especially at night. I know there may be a newer version very soon but even so I'm happy to have got mine when I did.

Some of my favourite features so far - the auto lighting, the slight-pressure page turn side presses, the Bookerly font, goodreads integration, wikipedia integration within the book, translation within the book and the vocabulary builder.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 01:11 PM   #1670
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
I've turned off the auto-light feature on my Voyage. I found that the battery life would take a hit always having to have that light sensor detecting how much ambient light was available and adjusting the screen light accordingly. Since i've left that off and just set the light level myself I've found the battery lasts longer. I haven't had to plug in my Voyage for the last 2 weeks.

Anyone else with similar experience?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2015, 01:41 PM   #1671
Philzilla
Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Philzilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
I've turned off the auto-light feature on my Voyage. I found that the battery life would take a hit always having to have that light sensor detecting how much ambient light was available and adjusting the screen light accordingly. Since i've left that off and just set the light level myself I've found the battery lasts longer. I haven't had to plug in my Voyage for the last 2 weeks.

Anyone else with similar experience?
no, battery life is fine for me no matter what I do
Philzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 02:02 PM   #1672
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philzilla View Post
no, battery life is fine for me no matter what I do
I do not have any issues with my battery as long as I keep the wifi off.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:23 PM   #1673
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Got mine a few weeks ago. I like it. Lightweight, easy navigation, good screen quality.

The only thing that bugs me is the soft green backlight that will not turn off even when I have the lightbulb icon set down to zero. I want a zero-emissions reading screen, dangit!
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 05:28 PM   #1674
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
Got mine a few weeks ago. I like it. Lightweight, easy navigation, good screen quality.

The only thing that bugs me is the soft green backlight that will not turn off even when I have the lightbulb icon set down to zero. I want a zero-emissions reading screen, dangit!
There is no backlight in the yoyage. What you are seeing is the natural color of the e-ink screen.
Old 09-16-2015, 07:34 PM   #1675
Nancy Fulda
I write stories.
Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nancy Fulda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
There is no backlight in the yoyage. What you are seeing is the natural color of the e-ink screen.
I believe you. But it's still glowing. My original kindle didn't do that.
Nancy Fulda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #1676
cvkemp
Loving life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy Fulda View Post
I believe you. But it's still glowing. My original kindle didn't do that.
When I turn the light off in a dark room I cannot see my screen, it does not glow
Old 09-16-2015, 08:47 PM   #1677
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There has always been variation from one device to another, even when they are the same model. So one person's '10' is another person's '15'.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015, 08:57 PM   #1678
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Technically, it's not a backlight--it's a front light so the light isn't shining at you but it is shining up from the bottom of the voyage on to the screen. And it is true that on the Voyage and PW you can not turn the light completely off--just down until it's next to nothing.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 03:11 PM   #1679
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
So i've kept track of my battery charging this cycle. Charged the Voyage on Saturday September 19th and then used it as per normal for me. Usually I read at least 1 hour/day (probably 6 days a week) and my battery lasted until Saturday Oct 3rd. It wasn't completely dead but it was way low and I wanted to charge it before I got the reminder to do so.

Is that good battery life for the Voyage?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #1680
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
So i've kept track of my battery charging this cycle. Charged the Voyage on Saturday September 19th and then used it as per normal for me. Usually I read at least 1 hour/day (probably 6 days a week) and my battery lasted until Saturday Oct 3rd. It wasn't completely dead but it was way low and I wanted to charge it before I got the reminder to do so.

Is that good battery life for the Voyage?
Was the WiFi left on? What light level were you at?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote