Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-08-2015, 03:13 AM   #1651
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
In a dark room, your eyes are already getting dark adjusted, so the light can be lower. If the light is bright, your eyes have to strain.

In a bright room, a dim light will make the page look rather dark, like a smudgy dark piece of paper.

All that being said, I have turned off the auto adjust, and have the light set at 10. But I usually sit in the same place, so it hasn't mattered greatly.
Just wanted to add to that the reasons for bright room: it really is absolutely unnecessary to have the light on when it is bright enough to comfortably read a paper book. But the eink itself is a little on the greyish side. The light is making it appear more white and more paper like. If it is bright enough, then the auto brightness will turn the light all the way down - that only happens in direct sunlight though.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:42 PM   #1652
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Well I did it after reading all of the reviews that I could and then going again and looking at the voyage at BestBuy. I ordered me a voyage from Amazon. And I decided on the Amazon case.

My voyage and cover has shipped I will get them on Friday. Serial Number and email address for my voyage are already in my devices page.

Last edited by cvkemp; 08-10-2015 at 07:28 PM.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2015, 09:51 AM   #1653
mikeb71
mikeb71 began at the beginning.

Device: Voyage
Hey all. I just got the Voyage, coming from the PW2.

The first unit was almost perfect, save for an annoying spec of dust under the screen. I am pretty sure I'd prob stop noticing it after a couple weeks, but figured I'd swap to see if I could get a better one. Amazon CS was awesome, overnighted me a replacement - that was awful. Well, the lighting was awful. The first had a pretty even white light, and the 2nd was much darker, and almost had a purple hue. Day and night side by side, almost looked like a different product. It's crazy how two of the same exact thing can be so drastically different.

Not being sure if it's really worth 200+case over my PW2, (I'll highlight some things below I like and don't like) I figured I'd just return it for now. The CS again was helpful, and wanted me to try one more. He said he'd put a note on it, have it inspected, and I'd get the perfect Voyage, and if I was unhappy, send them all back. I figured why not. I'm not 100% convinced someone is going to go through all that to find me the perfect one, but why not give it a shot. I'll report back tomorrow when the new one comes.

Things I really like about the Voyage:

The glass/flush screen. It makes it feel closer to a book to me.
The weight.
The case. (I do like the origami case)
The crisp fonts, it's a bit crisper than the PW2, and anything that makes things easier on my eyes, I'm all for.
The auto-adjusting light - still messing with this to see how practical it is, but I like it so far.

Things I didn't like or were disappointed in:

It's really not THAT much better than my PW2. I do appreciate what is better, however, but not sure it's worth another 200+case yet to upgrade.
The buttons - for the longest time I had the basic with the side buttons, and I really, really liked it, but it finally gave out. The side buttons on the Voyager are not even close. It's not really that different from tapping the screen. Maybe they will grow on me. I don't hate them, but I was hoping I'd like them a little more.

All that said, I do like the Voyage and the upgrades it brings.

So I'll report back tomorrow when the 3rd replacement arrives. I am probably pickier than some, I usually can never get the perfect kindle the first go, it seems there is always something that's off. So that's my Voyage story. Tomorrow will decide if I end up keeping it, or sticking with my PW for a bit.
mikeb71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:00 AM   #1654
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
This thread is for people to give their first impressions of the Voyage. Could you discuss cases in the separate thread on that topic here, please?
Your link now leads to a 404 error. Is it possible the thread was moved or taken down?
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 05:08 AM   #1655
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Your link now leads to a 404 error. Is it possible the thread was moved or taken down?
The correct link is:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=247007
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2015, 12:34 PM   #1656
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok I just opened my voyage and it is looking great, screen looks to be very white. I am now updating to the news firmware and will let you know a little later how it is for me. Also I really like the cover.

Great screen, the screen is whiter than the PW2, the text is darker and much cleaner.
I love the text so much better than the PW2 and images are so much better. I am not use to the page press and for now I have turned up off. I do have the brightness enabled and I set my light to the same as I have the PW2 and the screen seems brighter.

Last edited by cvkemp; 08-14-2015 at 02:09 PM.
Old 08-14-2015, 01:03 PM   #1657
Almamida
Guru
Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almamida ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage - Kindle PW5 & Voyage - iPad Pro M1 12.9
Just an update to thanks again Josieb1
I have received the cover (from China) and now the Voyage is more confortable to hold with one hand. It's heavier but I can now use haptic buttons.
Almamida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:32 PM   #1658
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Almamida View Post
Just an update to thanks again Josieb1
I have received the cover (from China) and now the Voyage is more confortable to hold with one hand. It's heavier but I can now use haptic buttons.
I'm glad your happy
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2015, 01:52 PM   #1659
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I went from a PW2 to a Voyage and even though I was perfectly happy with the PW2 I'm glad I did the upgrade. I've turned off all the extra features in the Voyage so it's just a smaller and lighter Paperwhite that feels way better in my hand for long reading sessions. That's worth the difference to me.

I bought a cheap cover for it, I think $7 or so. I use that when I take it with me somewhere. But most of the time I just use it without a cover.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2015, 09:42 AM   #1660
cvkemp
Loving life

Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
I went from a PW2 to a Voyage and even though I was perfectly happy with the PW2 I'm glad I did the upgrade. I've turned off all the extra features in the Voyage so it's just a smaller and lighter Paperwhite that feels way better in my hand for long reading sessions. That's worth the difference to me.

I bought a cheap cover for it, I think $7 or so. I use that when I take it with me somewhere. But most of the time I just use it without a cover.

Barry
I have to agree with you, my PW2 was OK and very useable but I find the voyage to me better the text is better for my old eyes. I am not happy with the pagepress it just isn't working out for me. I do like the light and the screen much better.
Old 08-19-2015, 08:09 PM   #1661
cvkemp
Loving life

Now that I have had my voyage for little over a week. I have to say that I am very happy with it. I opened my PW2 today and looked at it and compared the screen for the same book and the same pages and I have to say I like the voyage much better. I would have a very hard time going back and using the PW2. I have also finally figured out how to use the pagepress and while it is not perfect I am beginning to figure out how to used them. I also prefer the size of the voyage and also the screen and the glass verses the PW2 screen. I have now reset my PW2 and will look to find someone to sale it to.
Old 08-19-2015, 09:58 PM   #1662
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Yes!! ( Fist pump!! ) Errr, that is to say -- so glad you like it!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 01:14 AM   #1663
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm really liking my Voyage as well--have to agree with Cvkemp--it'd be awfully hard to go back to my PW2. Also agree about the page press "buttons"-- not perfect, but okay. I wish I could move the buttons up on the screen--I'd like the forward buttons to be located where the back buttons are--actually don't need the back buttons at all--could just use the screen when I need to go back. I've finally turned off the light sensor--couldn't get it to work for me--it would adjust to levels that were either way to dark or light--even going so far as to sometimes turn the light all the way down in a dark room once in a while. I may try it again sometime to see if I can get it to adust more intelligently. Does anyone know if there's any way to reset the light sensor so it'll start learning your preferences all over again?--short of a factory reset that is.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 05:04 PM   #1664
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@dordale: Maybe ask someone savvy with jailbreak-ed Voyage or downloaded firmware bin to dig through it and try to find out if there is some equivalent to ;ReadingTimeReset (for resetting "time left in chapter") Search-bar command but for light sensor.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 10:30 PM   #1665
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dordale View Post
Does anyone know if there's any way to reset the light sensor so it'll start learning your preferences all over again?--short of a factory reset that is.
I cannot document this, but my impression has been that if I uncheck the box that turns the sensor on and off, and then recheck it, that this resets it. Thereafter, leave the box checked, and adjust the lighting up and down as needed in different lighting conditions, and it will learn your preferences. My one caveat to this, is that the light will readjust sometimes if I inadvertently change the angle at which I am holding the Voyage, so that either more or less light is falling on the sensor. Ditto if you move your other arm so that it throws a shadow over the sensor. Took me a while to realize that this is why the light kept readjusting. You may also want to turn off the feature that automatically dims the light after a while when reading in a dark room.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote