Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-06-2015, 03:10 PM   #1636
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
OK I like the look of the Fintie case. It looks very much like the case I have on my PW2 and I love it.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 03:39 PM   #1637
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This thread is for people to give their first impressions of the Voyage. Could you discuss cases in the separate thread on that topic here, please?

Last edited by HarryT; 08-14-2015 at 05:10 AM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2015, 08:08 AM   #1638
balin
balin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
I landed on the Voyage via a circuitous route. I started with a Paperwhite 3 and while I liked it, there was a fair amount of light bleed at the bottom. While researching, I stumbled over the Voyage and liked the sound of it. So I exchanged the Paperwhite for the Voyage.

So far, I'm delighted with it. It's a solid unit. I found this out by accident when it slipped off my lap getting out of the car. Landed on the concrete. No dings which surprises me. The magnesium case is tough.

Screen is very evenly lit. I particularly like the glass screen and flush bezel. Haptic feedback on the buttons is cool, but more of a novelty for me. I could live without it, but I like the feature.

Weight and feel in the hand is great. Battery life is brilliant too. I would have like to have got the bookerly font with this device, but imagine it will come eventually.

After dropping it, I decided I needed a case, so have ordered an origami one. Hoping it doesn't add too much bulk.

All in all, a great device. And worth the premium over the Paperwhite in my opinion.

Cheers.
balin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #1639
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by balin View Post
So far, I'm delighted with it. It's a solid unit. I found this out by accident when it slipped off my lap getting out of the car. Landed on the concrete. No dings which surprises me. The magnesium case is tough.
I honestly don't think the case is made of magnesium - that would be a little flammable . It's aluminium, I suspect.
Old 08-07-2015, 09:54 AM   #1640
balin
balin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I honestly don't think the case is made of magnesium - that would be a little flammable . It's aluminium, I suspect.
Perhaps I should have said magnesium alloy, which is not flammable.
balin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2015, 10:31 AM   #1641
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

What makes you think it's anything so exotic? It looks like anodised aluminium to me. I'm not saying you're wrong - just curious.
Old 08-07-2015, 10:37 AM   #1642
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
What makes you think it's anything so exotic? It looks like anodised aluminium to me. I'm not saying you're wrong - just curious.
From the Amazon Voyage page: "... With a magnesium back and a specially-reinforced glass front, Kindle Voyage is both durable and sleek. ..."
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:38 AM   #1643
emmabee
Connoisseur
emmabee doesn't litteremmabee doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
I believe Amazon told tech journos the frame was made of magnesium alloy coated in plastic. It's lighter than aluminium alloy because it's less dense. Maybe that's why they used it but I don't know for sure.
emmabee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:42 AM   #1644
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmabee View Post
I believe Amazon told tech journos the frame was made of magnesium alloy coated in plastic. It's lighter than aluminium alloy because it's less dense. Maybe that's why they used it but I don't know for sure.
Thanks - I hadn't heard that before.
Old 08-07-2015, 11:28 AM   #1645
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
According to its Wikipedia entry, magnesium alloy is the lightest structural material. Somehow I doubt that will continue, or is even true today, given the advances in nanocarbon fibers, carbon nanotubes, and graphene. But it is a common stiff-chassis material for higher-end electronic devices today.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:48 PM   #1646
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Question about the light. This is the first Kindle I've had with a light and it has in the setting "use a low setting for dark rooms" and "use a high setting for brightly lit rooms". This seems counter intuitive to me, in a dark room I need the light to be higher and in a bright room I really don't need the light at all. Why does amazon recommend the light settings this way?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #1647
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
The very thinest case is the Fintie, weight wise Fintie is 92gm, Swess 104gm and the origami is 139gm empty.
The Fintie slim fit is the one I use with the Voyage. I wanted a cover that would turn the Kindle on and off when I opened it, but i didn't want to pay the crazy Amazon case cover price. $9.99 for the Fintie is a good deal, seems like a decent case to me and it works.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:24 PM   #1648
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
This thread is for people to give their first impressions of the Voyage. Could you discuss cases in the separate thread on that topic here, please?
[ Harry, this link is busted; I wanted to go there. Honest! Maybe this link will work? It has quote marks, auto-added. Yours doesn't seem to? ] I'll put my case suggestion at the end of that topic.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:30 PM   #1649
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Question about the light. This is the first Kindle I've had with a light and it has in the setting "use a low setting for dark rooms" and "use a high setting for brightly lit rooms". This seems counter intuitive to me, in a dark room I need the light to be higher and in a bright room I really don't need the light at all. Why does amazon recommend the light settings this way?
In a dark room, your eyes are already getting dark adjusted, so the light can be lower. If the light is bright, your eyes have to strain.

In a bright room, a dim light will make the page look rather dark, like a smudgy dark piece of paper.

All that being said, I have turned off the auto adjust, and have the light set at 10. But I usually sit in the same place, so it hasn't mattered greatly.
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:15 AM   #1650
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
It does seem counter intuitive at first--but play with it a little and you'll see that indeed you don't need the light set very high in a dark room--setting it too high will actually cause your eyes to become fatigued. On the other hand, when there is more ambient light setting the light a little higher will actually improve the contrast. I still have the "auto-bright" feature turned on on my Voyage--not sure if I'll leave it on or not. Right now I find that I'm frequently adjusting my light. For me the comfort range seems to be between 11 and 15--usually at 12 or 13.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote