Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2015, 10:53 PM   #1
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Is this shadow normal for the paperwhite 3?

I'm just wondering if this shadow is normal for the paperwhite 3? (ignore the noise in the bottom right on the kindle, that was just my camera). It's really distracting when I read. I can see it in my peripheral vision when I read.

I've not had much luck with ereaders lately. I had to return my new kobo due to a faulty screen. Now I'm wondering if I have to return my paperwhite

Does anyone with a paperwhite 3 want to help me?

imgur link to my paperwhite: http://i.imgur.com/p0KGfvD.jpg
OverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 11:15 PM   #2
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
My new PW2 does that after I been reading awhile Clean the screen, just a finger smear
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2015, 11:30 PM   #3
OverTwo
Enthusiast
OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OverTwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not a smear. It's from the LED lights.
Old 10-07-2015, 03:56 AM   #4
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
You will get some shadowing between the lights but it should be subtle and somewhat uniform between each light. I don't have a PW3 to compare with. You could ask Amazon for a replacement or do you have a retailer near you that might have one on display?
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:06 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
How high do you have the light set in that photograph? LED shadows are generally only visible when the light is at a very high level.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #6
OverTwo
Enthusiast

That is on low light settings. I've emailed Amazon and I'll see if they'll allow me to return it. I compared it to a paperwhite 2 and that kindle is perfect. It has very minimal shadows at the bottom.
Old 10-07-2015, 09:53 AM   #7
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTwo View Post
That is on low light settings. I've emailed Amazon and I'll see if they'll allow me to return it. I compared it to a paperwhite 2 and that kindle is perfect. It has very minimal shadows at the bottom.
The Paperwhite 2 uses a Carta screen which is a cream colour which helped to hide the shadows, if the PW3 has gone back to a whitish screen then that maybe why the shadows are back again.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
OverTwo
Enthusiast

It seems the PW3 also uses the Carta screen. So it can't be that. Does anyone with a PW3 have a uniformly lit screen? Is there any point in me returning this? I don't want to return it if all PW3's have these shadows.
Old 10-07-2015, 11:53 AM   #9
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I believe this largely has to do with the placement and or number of the LEDs at the bottom of the screen. To varying degrees it has been a factor for the PW since its original release. The more expensive Voyage does not suffer from this problem at all, so if it really bothers you, it might be worth returning the PW and upgrading.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:28 PM   #10
Derek87
Connoisseur
Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'Derek87 knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle PW3
i have some gentle version of those shadows on my PW3, but certainly not bad compared to a few PW2s i've seen (including one i returned). one thing that drives me nuts is that there seems to be a significant amount of variability from unit to unit which speaks to poor quality control or maybe an not perfected technology.

the main shadow i have seen on all of mine that i've encountered (i went through three PW2s (my wife also owns one, and thus i have personal experience with four)) is a slight band where the status is shown (page number, percentage). the finger like shadows were horrible on one unit i had, non existent on another, and marginal on my current one. i think if it bothers you enough, it is worth returning and trying for another. Amazon, i have to say, bent over backwards to try to get me something workable. in the end, i decided my current PW3 was "good enough."

my faint ones are only visible at backlights of 5-7 (where i usually read) but they are faint enough that they don't distract me.
Derek87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:51 PM   #11
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
My PW3 is nicely and uniformly lit! I'd say that screen is just bad.
Where do you live? Can't you return it for replacement?
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 08:05 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Yes, that is normal. I've seen it on other PW3s.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:25 PM   #13
OverTwo
Enthusiast

I have returned it. I couldn't read with it. It just kept drawing my attention. Thankfully, Amazon lets you return anything within 30 days without asking any questions. I guess I'll just stick with my old kindle until Amazon bring out a kindle that is uniformly lit.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:42 PM   #14
Aeda
Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
I don't have any shadows like that on my Paperwhite 3, no matter the lighting settings. Mine is completely uniform.
Aeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 07:02 PM   #15
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
All front lit eInk Readers that I have seen do have a small shadow at the bottom of the screen. How much it bothers you is an individual preference. Also, how much the shadow shows up depends on how bright the light is.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote