Old 03-28-2024, 09:30 AM   #76
JohnCheese
JohnCheese began at the beginning.

Device: NXTPAPER 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
Amazon de seller won't ship to USA?
https://www.amazon.de/-/en/dp/B0CS3MF8Q6/

I bought two from that page, yet today it claims they don't ship to Ireland! How odd.
https://ibb.co/dcqPs1y

No it wont
JohnCheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2024, 05:33 PM   #77
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: 13.3" Boox Max2, 7" Kobo H2O
My thoughts after a few days.

TCL NXTPAPER 11

It's an excellent tablet for indoor use. I really like the matt screen. I wish this device catch attention on the market, and we will see the return of quality matt displays for laptops, monitors, etc.

For outdoor use, well it can be used but rather only in light (black text, white background) mode, and when you're covered in a shade. Direct sunlight, of a sunny day with clear sky, it's too much for it.

The tech spec of the tablet is really good for an "e-reader". I'm just reading books and web articles. For that task, the tablet has enough processing power. I have no idea if it's good for games, etc.

The cons:

I don't like the aspect ratio. The NXTPAPER 12" has much better geometry, but seems just too big/heavy, besides I can't find it anywhere to buy. However, the screen aspect ratio really matters for viewing PDFs which are in ~1.4 vs the screen ~1.6, so you've got ~20% of screen space wasted when viewing full page.

The automatic brightness is bad. It's a problem of any tablet/phone, as they measure the amount of light behind you, the sensor is next to the front facing camera, instead of measuring the amount of light around and behind the device to match the screen brightness to the surroundings. Perhaps because the matt surface, the screen is only really pleasant to read when the brightens is at the right level to the surroundings. I wish there was a side button (I'm thinking of hacking the volume up/down for that purpose) to adjust the brightness manually. The standard Swipe down, find the knob, adjust... routine is a bit awkward.

The PC mode, looks very interesting. I love it, it feels like Windows tablet. Unfortunately, it's unusable because in this mode the screen rotation doesn't work, it's stack in portrait mode, there's no access to the control panel (the swipe down gesture) so I can't adjust the brightness. In fact, I don't like the swipe gestures. It would be best if they could add all the system settings to the task bar, much like in Windows 10 when you click on the bottom right.
EDIT: actually, it works exactly this way. I was fouled by the ask for android permission, which looked like it's some kind of location tracking app launch. Once I gave it all the permissions, the lower right corner button shows notification, all the tablet control settings with brightness slider conveniently exposed. It's really nice to use. Now the only issue is that screen rotation doesn't work.

TCL NXTPAPER vs Hisense Q5 RLCD

To be honest I much more like the RLCD screen, but it only works great outdoors. It can be used indoors, but I don't like that using it forces you to find an exact spot/position, otherwise either the screen is too dark or you see annoying reflections. It's not that bad or difficult. Obviously, the room has to be well lit, a desk lamp in a dark room is rather bad idea. However, adjusting your position to use the tablet is a friction. If I have to change position then I may as well go sit at my desk with computer, which I do most of the time. With NXTPAPER I mostly adjust the screen light to the position. Well, you can still find yourself in a really bad spot, for example when the light is shining at you and you're wearing white t-shirt the screen will just wash out. Nonetheless, battery lasts sooo long in Q5 as it's not "wasted" on screen light.

TCL NXTPAPER vs Onyx Max

I bought Max for reading PDFs. These days I hardly read any, so it's laying on the shelf collecting dust. However, I keep it as I might have again some PDFs to read in the future... I was hoping that this tablet will finally replace it, but it can't due to the size. I've tried reading PDFs and it was just too tiring to constantly do zooming and panning around.

Summary

I've bought the NXTPAPER in hope to replace both Onyx Max and Hisense Q5, but I just ended with a 3rd device ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Well, I'll see. Since I don't read much PDFs these days, and I don't read much outdoors, perhaps these two would be collecting dust.

Last edited by plusz; 03-30-2024 at 08:24 AM.
plusz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2024, 10:55 PM   #78
JohnCheese

So he’s my continued journey on getting the case to the US. I found the case on Amazon Spain but it would be $90 total to ship it to the US! I found the sellers website and they only charged an extra $25 to ship it to the us. I wired them some money, hopefully I don’t get scammed! https://www.procomponentes.com/en/fu...aper&results=4
Old 03-30-2024, 08:03 AM   #79
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCheese View Post
So he’s my continued journey on getting the case to the US. I found the case on Amazon Spain but it would be $90 total to ship it to the US! I found the sellers website and they only charged an extra $25 to ship it to the us. I wired them some money, hopefully I don’t get scammed! https://www.procomponentes.com/en/fu...aper&results=4
Hope you get it!
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 08:32 AM   #80
plusz
Addict
plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!plusz is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Anyone has seen news when the other NXTPAPER tablet are going to be launched to the market?

I've been digging through the TCL website. Only the 11" has a button "Find local launches."

https://www.tcl.com/global/en/tablets/tcl-nxtpaper-11

It seems to me that only this model ever went to the market. It's disappointing as both the 10" and 12" have better ergonomics - better screen ratio. I perhaps bought it too promptly, as I'd certainly prefer to exchange my tab for 10" version, it's the same width, just not too tall (in portrait mode).
Advert
Old 03-30-2024, 12:50 PM   #81
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm wanting the Nxtpaper 14 or 15, I forget which, allegedly later this year. I'd use it as well as the Nxtpaper11.

I agree the aspect ratio isn't ideal for single page, but not too bad for two page view. I think a 10" is too small and too big.
Old 03-31-2024, 12:36 PM   #82
JohnCheese

Yes the Nxtpaper 3 series which includes a 10 inch and 14 inch model is supposedly coming sometime before summer.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:14 AM   #83
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCheese View Post
Yes the Nxtpaper 3 series which includes a 10 inch and 14 inch model is supposedly coming sometime before summer.
I've just found out that Windows 11 (on ARM chip) tablets are also expected https://screenrant.com/tcl-book-x12-...tpaper-12-pro/

Oh yeah, 14" NXTPAPER screen with more rectangular aspect ratio, Windows powered, would replace my home laptop.
Old 04-01-2024, 10:44 AM   #84
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

There is almost no point to Windows on ARM.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:03 AM   #85
plusz
Addict

Quote:
There is almost no point to Windows on ARM.
There's almost no point to Android or iOS on a tablet, to run phone Apps

Windows on ARM is 100% fit as personal computer. If not Windows, then what? Linux is useless on touch screens, so Windows is the best as it's the only desktop OS with touch interface.
Old 04-01-2024, 11:15 AM   #86
plusz
Addict

So the NXTPAPER 3.0 tablets are gong to have:
- 14" model: 2,880 x 1,800px resolution => 1.6
- 10" model: 2,560 x 1,440px resolution => 1.77

The 14" looks ok, it's the "new" standard of aspect ratio for Windows computers, but the 10" will be a "giant phone" style
Old 04-01-2024, 11:59 AM   #87
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
There's almost no point to Android or iOS on a tablet, to run phone Apps

Windows on ARM is 100% fit as personal computer. If not Windows, then what? Linux is useless on touch screens, so Windows is the best as it's the only desktop OS with touch interface.
The legacy apps that are why people run windows are x86 or x86-64. They run badly on an emulator on ARM.

Linux with touch is no worse than Windows with touch. Both are pointless on a laptop. I've used both on an actual tablet and on a Lenovo X201 convertible laptop/tablet which runs current Linux mint (and touch) better than Windows 7 which was on it originally.

Anyway the TCL Nxtpaper14 will be Android.

I use a laptop or a workstation for serious content creation. I used Windows for nearly 25 years, and since Jan 2017 almost exclusively Linux. I've run Debian on x86 Win10 tablet and it was no worse than Windows. Windows is actually poor on a tablet/touch mode. You need keyboard and mouse. Also ARM is pointless for Windows. I can run a wider range of native ARM apps in Linux than Windows.

An Android tablet is for reading etc.

Windows phone is/was a failure. Windows ARM is a failure.

I totally agree that Android is poor and it's Android 13 PC mode is half baked.

Last edited by Quoth; 04-01-2024 at 12:04 PM.
Old 04-01-2024, 01:16 PM   #88
plusz
Addict

Quote:
Windows phone is/was a failure. Windows ARM is a failure.
I disagree. Windows phone was the best smartphone ever. It was killed by Microsoft because of internal politics and greed, "we have to take the majority of the smartphone market or nothing".

PS. Yeah, I wrote "personal computer" not workstation. These are two different devices for me.
Old 04-01-2024, 03:41 PM   #89
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plusz View Post
I disagree. Windows phone was the best smartphone ever. It was killed by Microsoft because of internal politics and greed, "we have to take the majority of the smartphone market or nothing".

PS. Yeah, I wrote "personal computer" not workstation. These are two different devices for me.
It died because no-one was buying it!

A PC can be a laptop = portable, or a workstation = not portable. A PC is too associated with Windows, though they existed 5 years before IBM sold PCs. Historic workstations (Sun etc) are long gone.

A workstation is a "personal computer" tied to one desk.

Anyway you can get laptops and desktop (workstation) screens very like the nxtpaper 3.0. It's not a new idea. Even 17" CRTs 30 years ago. HP and Lenovo both have them as well as the cheaper shiny screens.
Old 04-01-2024, 04:29 PM   #90
plusz
Addict

Quote:
It died because no-one was buying it!
Nothing further from the truth. It was a real success, everyone wanted them. I guess you're from USA where majority of people love horribly unusable iPhone. Up to you, and your opinion.

By the way, my Lumia even received update to Windows 10 I don't use it as a daily driver because it doesn't have fast internet, not even LTE. There is a refreshed hardware, Microsoft Surface Duo, but it's bulky and impractical. I don't like foldable phones. Besides, Microsoft had killed it's mobile market, and nobody is going to invest again in developing apps for it.