Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 05-14-2017, 04:06 PM   #16
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: k1 - KAO2, ipads, h2o, KA1, inkBOOK, T80s, Mars, Nova Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtaTechPoland View Post
We posted this in other thread already, but it seems that here this piece of information is also needed:

The keyboard was connected through OTG cable (microUSB-USB) and that's it. We would however be cautious when connecting a keyboard with backlit keys and/or USB Hub, the power from USB port might not be sufficient.
If using an adapter to attach a receiver for a presenter (which does work well with the Inkbook 8) is there also a way to charge through the same adapter to avoid plugging and unplugging so much on the Inkbook and save wear on the port?

EDIT: Answered my own question. Yes, it's possible.

Last edited by jscris; 05-14-2017 at 05:16 PM.
jscris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 06:45 AM   #17
Steenstrupian
Steenstrupian began at the beginning.

Device: None
Help with Android, to make an e-ink typewriter?

I'm wondering if anyone can help a tentative Android newbie, on this topic.

My own quest for an e-ink typewriter is going well - I'm currently trying out both the inkBook Prime and the Onyx Kepler Pro with a Bluetooth keyboard and running writing apps. The keyboard is working excellently, and I've got apps to work on both machines. The Kepler Pro is technically higher end, and I like it fine, but I actually prefer the InkBook Pro - it's lighter and its screen, though lower resolution, actually looks crisper and lighter to me. But both machines have OS problems which, though I'm tantalisingly close to exactly what I need, are stymying me. I'm wondering if someone has any advice on how to overcome these.

What I need is very simple - to run Dropbox, integrating it with Jotterpad and maybe a couple of other writing apps. That's all! Everything else can go.

On the Kepler, I've achieved that, and it works well... but because the Kepler runs Android 4.0.4, I can only run much older versions of the various apps, like Jotterpad X, rather than 12, which is missing a couple of options I really need (typewriter scrolling! Etc). And there are apps I'd like that I can't run at all.

Conversely, the InkBook is running Android 4.2.2 - but for some reason though I've sideloaded the Google Play store (where I have an account) and Google Play services, the Play store simply won't load. The icon appears, but nothing happens when I press it (except occasionally I get a pop-up saying 'Google Play services has stopped'). I can run Jotterpad on the InkBook... but I need to make an in-app purchase to use Dropbox and other features, and can't do so without the Play store running.

So can anyone advise on either how to update Android to a later version on the Kepler (I know there's a thread elsewhere on this but I haven't seen anyone get it to work successfully in ways I understand), or how to get the Google Play store to work on the InkBook, so that I can upgrade Jotterpad? (I've emailed InkBook and asked for help too re Google Play, but no response so far.)

Many thanks for any thoughts.
Steenstrupian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2017, 10:53 AM   #18
jscris
Addict
jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.jscris is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Is it possible to get to google play in the browser and log in there to download?

Did you check the Midiapolis app store for jotterpad? Amazon may also have it and the Amazon app store should install on the InkBOOK.

Last edited by jscris; 06-12-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 07:51 AM   #19
Steenstrupian

Thank you for this, jscris, it's invaluable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jscris View Post
Is it possible to get to google play in the browser and log in there to download?
The browser just won't let me download. And if I try logging into my amazon account (Jotterpad is on there too), I can find it, but the actual Jotterpad page on amazon comes up as 'Webpage not available'. I think it must be something to do with the on-board browser or the OS?

Quote:
Amazon may also have it and the Amazon app store should install on the InkBOOK.
The Amazon app loads on the InkBook fine, lets me get to the app... then says 'Purchasing apps and games isn't supported on this version of the Amazon Shopping app' - on various different versions of the app.

Quote:
Did you check the Midiapolis app store for jotterpad?
After finally figuring out how to get the Midiapolis app store to run, it does have it. And I downloaded it... but I still have the same problem as before: I can run Jotterpad, but when I click 'Addons', and then 'Purchase', for the Jotterpad 'Creative Bundle', the purchase button flashes... and then does nothing.

I'll write to 2 App Studio to see if they can help me activate the creative bundle, but in the meantime any other advice gratefully received.
Old 06-13-2017, 10:51 AM   #20
jscris
Addict

I have the Amazon appstore installed on the Inkpad 8,same Android version you have. I was able to download Jotterpad free version and when I clicked on Get Creative it took me to a purchase in the Amazon Appstore and would allow me to buy it there. It doesn't look like it would be a problem. I think there was an update to the Amazon appstore recently on the Inkpad. Could that be the problem?

I know this doesn't address the problem with the Midiapolis app store, but it usually crashes when I try to open it so I've been using Amazon.

Last edited by jscris; 06-13-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-13-2017, 12:34 PM   #21
Steenstrupian

Quote:
I have the Amazon appstore installed...
jscris, I am hugely grateful. Frankly I think I understood about 65% of what I've just spent an hour doing, based on your advice, but after trying again with the browser, installing Amazon Underground (not the regular Amazon app, that didn't work), setting up various permissions and account details, etc... it now works! Thank you again.

(Either I am pretty dumb or this stuff is not at all simple for a newcomer or some combination of the two.)
Old 06-13-2017, 02:43 PM   #22
jscris
Addict

Going to Android takes some effort. I'm glad it works and that I was able to help a little.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:32 PM   #23
Lode
Zealot
Lode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the roughLode is a jewel in the rough

Device: Onyx Boox M92 White, Max Carta
Onyx let me know recently:

"Sorry, after analysis, we are not going to released BOOX Writer, cause now our device could connected with a bluetooth keyboard to be a typewriter."

After seeing this:

"Typing on an e-ink tablet Boox Max with BT keyboard (HD)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHDZh18zwvE

I just got the Max Carta and this keyboard:

"REVIEW: Perixx PERIDUO-880 Bluetooth Keyboard (Touchpad)"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcDAaFvzM6E

That cover can be folded flat under the keyboard, and even with those 2 triangles folded out it fits well on one's lap I found out.

On my laptop I'm used to Jarte, which is like WordPad but with extra's like spell checker, word count etc. and it also easily converts documents made with it into PDF.

"Jarte Word Processor"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LfFsVOzYUE

Anyone here knows about something similar for my Max Carta with Android 4.0.4?

I don't need to save documents in a cloud, I want to save them on the e-reader and laptop. If saving in the cloud is a voluntary extra option, fine of course. But not a lot of whistles and bells. (Reason I like Jarte.)

Last edited by Lode; 12-04-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Lode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2019, 12:57 AM   #24
andrewed
typist
andrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day nowandrewed will be dicovering the secret to cold fusion any day now

Device: Kindle 3
Hi,

This is andrewed of Typable E-paper Tablet fame. My Nook died, so I am in the market for a new e-paper typewriter. I'm glad to see others interest in the same.

The Inkbook with USB keyboard looks good. Does anyone know if it still works? Like others, they may have turned off the USB host after customer complaints of battery drain from the keyboard. Which is stupid because powered hubs are $5 and power banks are common.

However, maybe they have a point. I had a Palm V and folding keyboard setup in 2003. Battery drain was zero. The keyboard docked the palm. It was slick. The connection or keyboard was different, maybe serial, and so did not drain the battery like USB. Maybe a crappy old serial keyboard is what we should aim to connect. Maybe a USB-serial adaptor would work with OTG.

If not, Renata at xda-developers continued development of the Nook Tablet to an extreme degree. She upgraded to the boxy new Nook Glow. It just takes more tech skill to root and install necessary programs. I did i in 2012, but it was tedious.

As to why no one makes such a device properly, I have my opinions. Write me if you really, really want to know.

I'd love to hear of any success or leads you have.

Cheers.

Last edited by andrewed; 03-29-2019 at 01:07 AM.
andrewed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 04:04 PM   #25
livewirerc
livewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austenlivewirerc has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo H2O
My current "mobile typewriter" is a Boyue Likebook Mars with a Fujitsu HHKB BT:

https://ibb.co/hWPXmCt

I have a few quibbles with the device as an eReader, but for every other use it's been freaking incredible. Running Bluetooth on the tablet definitely drops the battery life, but I can still get a full days use out of it and have some battery leftover by the time I plug it back in.
livewirerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 04:20 AM   #26
rvcjew
Addict
rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rvcjew ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3-T80S-T80D-T103D-K78-Inkpalm 5-HiSense Touch-Hi Reader Pro-Palma
Quote:
Originally Posted by livewirerc View Post
My current "mobile typewriter" is a Boyue Likebook Mars with a Fujitsu HHKB BT:

https://ibb.co/hWPXmCt

I have a few quibbles with the device as an eReader, but for every other use it's been freaking incredible. Running Bluetooth on the tablet definitely drops the battery life, but I can still get a full days use out of it and have some battery leftover by the time I plug it back in.
Nice board, if you want to save some battery life use an otg cable for the keyboard out of the tablet.
Malcolm
rvcjew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #27
StuartJ
StuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litterStuartJ doesn't litter

Device: Likebook Mimas, Kobo Aura One, LG V20
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvcjew View Post
Nice board, if you want to save some battery life use an otg cable for the keyboard out of the tablet.
Malcolm
Neat idea Does OTG definitely work for a keyboard on the Mars? I thought I saw mention of someone asking Boyue via Aliexpress about OTG and being told that the Mars didn't support it, but maybe they just meant that it doesn't supply power, so maybe a (powered) keyboard would be fine. If you (or anyone else) have tried it and know it works though, that would be great news!
StuartJ is offline   Reply With Quote