Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-05-2015, 08:42 PM   #1681
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Was the WiFi left on? What light level were you at?

Shari
WiFi off, light level usually at 15
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 09:08 PM   #1682
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I charge my Voyage every 2-4 days. Wifi on all the time, light at 10-11.

Sounds like you getting nice battery. But then I don't really worry anymore about this. I read a lot so of course I would use more. I also charge at about 30-50%, or what I think is that. I just like to have it full more than not. My PW1 wouldn't even go to the 2nd day without running out of battery down to a sliver, so I am happy with finally being able to keep wifi on. I like to use wiki and look up stuff I need wifi for.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #1683
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
WiFi off, light level usually at 15
Isn't 15 too bright?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:24 PM   #1684
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Would depend on someones eyes and preference, wouldn't it? And where someone reads and how much natural light there is. We aren't all the same.

Inside I am pretty much on 11, but I am not next to a window. Just depends.

I just plug it in when I feel like it needs it. I am done being a slave to the battery.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:27 PM   #1685
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Would depend on someones eyes and preference, wouldn't it? And where someone reads and how much natural light there is. We aren't all the same.

Inside I am pretty much on 11, but I am not next to a window. Just depends.

I just plug it in when I feel like it needs it. I am done being a slave to the battery.
But you are being a slave to the battery. No juice in the battery, no reading. Leaving the WiFi on all the time is draining the battery faster than it would normally drain.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 11:41 PM   #1686
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But you are being a slave to the battery. No juice in the battery, no reading. Leaving the WiFi on all the time is draining the battery faster than it would normally drain.
No, that's not being a slave to battery, that is just dealing with what is. I used to be a slave, used to worry all the time how long and look at the battery, now with my Voyage, I don't care. I plug it in when I notice it needs it. Otherwise, I just read. I don't care anymore. Its quite liberating. I want and need wifi on and now I can do that. I could not do that with my PW1.

I just care about books now.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:25 AM   #1687
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
...I don't care. I plug it in when I notice it needs it. Otherwise, I just read. I don't care anymore. Its quite liberating. I want and need wifi on and now I can do that. I could not do that with my PW1.

Normally, I have to connect the reader to the computer to put new books onto it before the battery actually runs out. Most of the time I'll just leave it connected until I'm done with the computer stuff and it picks up enough of a charge to go for quite some time. I think I can count all the warnings of "Your battery is low" on the fingers of one hand since I've got this Kindle.

I do have to say that I mostly don't have more than one or two series on there at any one time, to prevent me from going: "What am I going to read' after one book is done and then postponing the choice, to swap out all of the books for the ones that aren't on there.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 09:16 AM   #1688
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
No, that's not being a slave to battery, that is just dealing with what is. I used to be a slave, used to worry all the time how long and look at the battery, now with my Voyage, I don't care. I plug it in when I notice it needs it. Otherwise, I just read. I don't care anymore. Its quite liberating. I want and need wifi on and now I can do that. I could not do that with my PW1.

I guess my battery is "normal". The tech specs say the battery gets "up to 6 weeks*" where * means 30 minutes of reading time a day with brightness level at 10. So that's 21 hours of battery according to Amazon. Since I keep my brightness higher and read more than that per day the figures sort of work out.

To answer JSWolf, yeah 15 is probably too bright, i've been trying to read with it lower recently, don't want my eyes to get too lazy.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 01:36 PM   #1689
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Has anyone tried reading on either Paperwhite / Voyage outdoors when it's showering or raining lightly? I'm thinking Voyage would be better, right? Because its screen is flush, rain drops can't get in the inside and LEDs etc.

Also, how do you guys compare durability of the screen on Voyage (micro-etched glass) and previous models (plastic)? Asking as glass seems more fragile... eh?

Quote:
Oh, battery on Voyage is 1320 mAh and on PW1-2 is 1470 mAh. I'd like to know why you think it lasts you more on Voyage. ?

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-06-2015 at 02:04 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:01 PM   #1690
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Voyage is a much tougher device than the PW. Rigid metal case and toughened glass screen, compared with the plastic PW. I have both.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:14 PM   #1691
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Voyage is a much tougher device than the PW. Rigid metal case and toughened glass screen, compared with the plastic PW. I have both.
Neato. I haven't seen a Voyage drop test though.

I hope V2 has a more conventional back-plate, more like PWs. To be honest, I can't stand its current backplate and origami blah blah blah!
If Amazon brings back TTS (at least audio jack-in, don't care about speakers), I'm all in to buy one.

Coming from non-touch Kindles, I also would like to be able to disable the touch screen temporarily and I hope Amazon adds such option, so that we don't have to add such functionality by jailbreaking and tweaking.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-06-2015 at 03:55 PM.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:03 PM   #1692
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post

Oh, battery on Voyage is 1320 mAh and on PW1-2 is 1470 mAh. I'd like to know why you think it lasts you more on Voyage. ?
Better processor? I have no idea. But my PW1 was so laggy and slow and ate battery like crazy. Most of those issues started with that big update when we got those cloud collection thingies. Spring of 2014. It was not pretty. Adding books to my collections would literally take minutes. For each book.

With my Voyage, it takes a few seconds, still not instant, but I do have lots of collections and lots of books in the cloud.

If I left wifi on on my PW1, it could barely get through a day without me getting nervous about the battery. I don't like seeing only a sliver there, makes me itchy.
I gave it to my husband who doesn't use collections and has almost no books on his account. It still uses battery fast, considering he barely touches it. My K3 and basic can sit on the shelf unused for weeks and weeks, K3 especially.

Voyage I can read and read and read and leave wifi on and finally I am free. So it feels like. I'll never get weeks out of an e-reader as I read way more than 30 minutes a day, so getting days is fine for me.

Can't help with reading in the rain though. We can go for months here with no rain and when it does, it comes down in sheets. No way would I sit in that reading. . I have several times though gotten sprinkles of fluids on it. Cat's drinking bowl is on my side table, so there is that. I also managed to spray some water on it, not a full dunk or anything. It just wipes off.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:49 PM   #1693
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
quote: Voyage I can read and read and read and leave wifi on and finally I am free. So it feels like. I'll never get weeks out of an e-reader as I read way more than 30 minutes a day, so getting days is fine for me. "

Ditto! And when I went on a long vacation, I did turn the wifi off, and got more battery length. But at home, I like to be able to leave wifi on, and STILL not have to worry about the battery for several days. It's great!
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 05:14 PM   #1694
thatworkshop
hub

Oh tell me about K3. I truly love it. I still think, it's the masterpiece of all Kindles... If it had front-light technology, I'd easily discard PW/Voyage and go back to K3.
Old 10-06-2015, 07:14 PM   #1695
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by idoit View Post
Has anyone tried reading on either Paperwhite / Voyage outdoors when it's showering or raining lightly? I'm thinking Voyage would be better, right? Because its screen is flush, rain drops can't get in the inside and LEDs etc.
You'd be playing with fire to take it out in a light rain I would think. The screen might be flush, but from pictures (I don't have one) it appears that it sits recessed into the frame. The joint between the screen and the frame WILL NOT be waterproof. It might be tight enough to keep water out, but that's taking a big risk to deliberately assume it's going to keep water out.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote