Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-24-2024, 12:23 AM   #1
TomAWright
TomAWright began at the beginning.

Device: Tablet
Sigil created Epubs not centering text on my ReadEra reader.

Help. I'm using Sigil to create epubs of my novels to have copies on my tablet. My epub reader is ReadEra. Everything is fine on Sigil, but the reader will not display any text centered unless it is a header. An example of the generated code is: <p style="text-align: center;">* * *</p>
where the "* * *" is supposed to center on the screen. Instead, it is left justified. Even when I changed from <p> to <div>, utilizing a class and a CSS Stylesheet set to center, I get the same results. Does anybody here know why this is happening and how to fix it?
TomAWright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 12:34 PM   #2
TomAWright

Exclamation Additional Info

Just an FYI. I forgot to mention that I tried using an H3 setting for the "* * *" text, but this causes a page break in my epub reader. This is far from desirable since the above text is an indicator of a story time jump, or change of POV. As is, it looks like an unmarked chapter change. I also discovered that the H3 setting does not do this when I actually have real text such as "Look, centering works here!". This is extremely frustrating, since I really wanted these breaks to match what is used in my paper-printed novels. Any help in solving this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2024, 02:10 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Can you post the CSS (in either a code block or a spoiler) so we can have a look?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2024, 02:26 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Try Lithium and/or Pocketbook. The issue could be Readera.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 01:16 AM   #5
TomAWright

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you post the CSS (in either a code block or a spoiler) so we can have a look?
<h4 style="text-align: center;" class="sigil_not_in_toc">
<b>◊ ◊ ◊</b>
</h4>

Well, I found out something weird while experimenting to find a solution. The above code worked. What didn't work was using the <h3></h3> instead. I don't understand why. Oh, and I even tried replacing the * with the special character diamond first. That didn't work, but I decided that I liked the diamonds so I kept them.

So, I found a way to make an acceptable outcome, but didn't really figure out why I couldn't get it to work properly in the middle of a series of paragraphs, nor under h3.
Old 03-25-2024, 11:26 AM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
It almost has to be a Readera glitch. Either that, or you have something that's overriding your styles.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2024, 12:02 PM   #7
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It almost has to be a Readera glitch. Either that, or you have something that's overriding your styles.
I agree. No reply on my suggestion of trying free Lithium or Pocketbook apps.

I looked at Readera and wasn't impressed. Is it related to Coolreader?

Also if doing for publication you need some real eink ereaders too.
Old 03-26-2024, 03:31 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Lots of reader software do not implement all the expected HTML features
<hr /> is another that does not center if less than full width. I fake that with 50% of the whitespace for Margin Left
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 05:44 AM   #9
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Lots of reader software do not implement all the expected HTML features
<hr /> is another that does not center if less than full width. I fake that with 50% of the whitespace for Margin Left
A centred (e.g. 20%) <hr /> works on all my ereader apps and eink readers. I don't do fixes for other people's broken Android apps. There are loads of Android ereader apps than work perfectly with epub2 (less for epub3) with also support for embedded fonts. Some have over-rides. Unfortunately there are even more ereader apps on Android that are junk. One not only didn't support embedded fonts or basic CSS properly, but only had a few built in fonts. Imagine a Kindle 2 implemented as an epub reader on Android without metadata!

Aldiko Basic, Bluefire, Lithium and Pocketbook all work properly on Android for epub2 and are free. Any pro paid version not needed to read ebooks via USB or SD card loading.
Some work even on Android 4.x (4.4 may be lowest that still connects to Playstore).
Lithium is good, but for a larger screen held in Landscape the Pocketbook allows two portrait epub or pdf pages. It starts PDF on with one page the right so page layout matches paper. Xodo has the pages one out compared to paper.
Old 03-30-2024, 04:43 PM   #10
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
RMSDK did not honor a width centered back when I got my Astak.
There was nothing wrong with the books code as it looked fine on Calibre, Sigil.
It was just one of the known quirks.
Kobo (KEpub on my Aura2 and Libra2) incorrectly applies letter spacing to a space (or NBSP) and runs words together (Velum uses that in Chapter heads). I have a saved search to comment out any found in the CSS
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote