Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-05-2013, 01:22 PM   #1
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
epub Trouble

Since I have lots of .epubs from my older reader I feel too lazy to convert them all to .mobi or something.

I have looked around on google and all pages were about Calibre and converting using it, but I am already aware how you can use it!

Question should be simple, is there a way to read epubs on my Paperwhite (5.3.3) without converting?
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Calibre will convert them as it adds them to your PW. No need to do any manual conversion.

To answer your question specifically, no, the PW cannot read ePubs without converting.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 01:57 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
... Unless you install alternate firmware.

But honestly, converting with Calibre is so easy that there's no point. I'm a little puzzled, though; did you not know that the Kindle wouldn't read ePub files when you bought it?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
Majorix
Giant Hobbit
Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Majorix ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Clara, Mini, Aura HD, Aura 2, Kindle: Paperwhite 1, DX 1
Thanks for the quick replies!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Calibre will convert them as it adds them to your PW. No need to do any manual conversion.

To answer your question specifically, no, the PW cannot read ePubs without converting.
Yeah, I am aware that Calibre does an automatical conversion. But it is a waste of time and sometimes the format is not the same as it was with the original book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
... Unless you install alternate firmware.

But honestly, converting with Calibre is so easy that there's no point. I'm a little puzzled, though; did you not know that the Kindle wouldn't read ePub files when you bought it?
I did know Kindle couldn't read epubs, but the Kindle was the only decent reader I could buy here...

So should I install an alternate firmware? Where can I get more information about that?
Majorix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:23 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Personally I think you'd be crazy to install alternate firmware . The Kindle's own formats work very well, and Calibre transparently converts ePub to KF8. I've converted literally hundreds of books without problems.

But if you want to find out more, search for "Duokan" in the "Dev Corner" sub-forum of this forum. That's the firmware which can read ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #6
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
There are other ones (KPV - still experimental - , HackedUpReader/Coolreader,...) - they use the CoolReader engine, which works but is rather limited. Info is also in the dev corner. Those are not so intrusive as the Duokan installation which messes a bit intransparently with the start-up process.

Given the results, I also suggest to use Calibre, especially when we are talking about lots of documents. The result is typically much better than with the alternate firmware/reading software, more features are retained.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Personally I think you'd be crazy to install alternate firmware . The Kindle's own formats work very well, and Calibre transparently converts ePub to KF8. I've converted literally hundreds of books without problems.
I think the key is in bold there. Convert it to AZW3/KF8, not Mobi. KF8 is much closer to ePub in terms of rendering and features. Mobi is quite old, and because of that, will not render the same as ePub.

I don't convert my ePubs to Mobi.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:11 PM   #8
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I don't understand why you're opposed to converting to azw3? The results are comparable to epub and the effort to find a *decent* alternate firmware and work the ins and outs of getting it installed doesn't seem to be worth it.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:14 PM   #9
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
I'm not sure how much time is wasted by having calibre convert on upload. It only takes a few seconds of time, and zero additional mouseclicks.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #10
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Can you guys indulge a slight hijack please? When converting from epub to AZ3 how do you keep the cover images? When I convert from epub to mobi the cover images stay but not when I convert to AZ3.

The answer may be of use to the OP, so any suggestions?
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:43 PM   #11
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
Can you guys indulge a slight hijack please? When converting from epub to AZ3 how do you keep the cover images? When I convert from epub to mobi the cover images stay but not when I convert to AZ3.

The answer may be of use to the OP, so any suggestions?
Interesting. I've never lost a cover image converting from epub to azw3 and since I got the paperwhite, I've converted a lot of epubs.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:05 PM   #12
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
I use https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=170436 for epub.

requires Jailbreak.

However... PW 5.3.3? I think I got that right can not be retroactively JB IIRC
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 09:29 PM   #13
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Interesting. I've never lost a cover image converting from epub to azw3 and since I got the paperwhite, I've converted a lot of epubs.
I had to play around with it a bit but I finally managed to get them. I don't know if it was something I did or a fluke but they're there. Deleted Mobi copies from the reader, transfered az3 to reader. At first the books didn't even show up in Collections view at all let alone their covers. Very weird!

I found the book when I searched or sorted by title, recent but without the cover. I put them in various collections but they still didn't show up period even though the book count in the collection increased by one. I did a restart and there the books were with the proper covers.

Full moon somewhere?? lol
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:15 AM   #14
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
However... PW 5.3.3? I think I got that right can not be retroactively JB IIRC
It can be retroactively downgraded, then jailbreaked, then upgraded again.
But it's a big step to go to alternative software on the Kindle, a much smaller one to just convert the documents. Plus, alternative software probably isn't an option when you really want a lot of EPUB features. Converting to AZW3 is the best option at least for that.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:01 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Moderator Notice

Back to topic, please.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote