Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-23-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Me!
Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4
Kindle Software Update 4.1.1

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200774090

The software update will be delivered wirelessly and includes optimizations for your Kindle's performance

Download Software Update 4.1.1

Here's how to download Kindle Software Updates and transfer it to your Kindle via USB:

1. Determine your software version: From Home, select Menu, then Settings. On the Settings screen you will see the Kindle version at the bottom of the screen. If you have the latest update, it should look like this:

If you see an earlier version, please proceed with the steps below to update your Kindle to the latest software.

2. Download your softwareepending on your current software update version, you may have to install a previous software update before installing 4.1.1. Select one of the links below to download the software update file directly to your computer:

If you have version 4.1.0--> Software Update 4.1.1

If you have version Prior to 4.1.0 --> Software Update 4.1.0 and then Software Update 4.1.1

3.Transfer software to your Kindle: Turn your Kindle on and connect it to your computer using the USB cable. Drag and drop the new update file from your computer onto the Kindle drive. Do not drop the file into one of the folders within the Kindle drive.

4.Monitor file transfer and disconnect: Check your file transfer progress to ensure file transfer to your Kindle is complete before disconnecting. After the file has transferred successfully, eject the Kindle to safely disconnect your Kindle from your computer. Disconnect the USB cable from your Kindle and your computer.

5.Start the software update: On the Home screen, press Menu, then Settings. Press Menu again, and then select Update Your Kindle. (This option will be grayed out if the most recent update has already been installed or if the file transfer was not successful.) Select Ok if you want to perform an update. Your Kindle will restart twice during the update. After the first restart, you will see Your Kindle is Updating.

6.Once the update is complete: Your Kindle will automatically restart. From Settings, you will see Version: Kindle 4.1.1 at the bottom of the screen.
Me! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Incremental update.
Jailbreak can be installed and works.
Seems to be only minor update, I've spotted no changes so far.

Last edited by dsmid; 01-23-2013 at 07:56 AM.
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 08:37 AM   #3
phoeagon
Enthusiast
phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'phoeagon knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: Kindle Touch
It took me so long to realize that 4.1.1 means K4NT.... ( So it's not catching up with PW architecture?
phoeagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:02 AM   #4
Me!
Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Me! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Seems to be only minor update, I've spotted no changes so far.
Me too, I can't notice anything new while reading
Old 01-23-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Was there even any release notes on what is supposedly included in 4.1.1?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-23-2013, 10:37 AM   #6
Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebra View Post
Was there even any release notes on what is supposedly included in 4.1.1?
just this:

We have a new, free software update available for Kindle. The software update will be delivered wirelessly and includes optimizations for your Kindle's performance. This update automatically downloads and installs for Kindle customers; however, you can also manually download the software and update your device via USB cable.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200774090
Old 01-23-2013, 02:19 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I don't get it. Why update the firmware on the K4 if nothing is new?!?

Release notes Amazon!
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
I don't get it. Why update the firmware on the K4 if nothing is new?!?

Release notes Amazon!
Really, "optimizations for performance" can really mean anything. Are the page turns faster? Is the battery life better? Is the indexing quicker? Exactly what performance improvements are there?
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:49 AM   #9
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
I think Amazon just tries to keep all the OS components up-to-date. The update may also contain some bug fixes.
Concerning new features, there are two new images in the update - I wonder what they are used for.
Maybe the Kindle device can be turned into a time bomb now ?
Attached Images

dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 08:49 AM   #10
KimberlyFDR
Groupie
KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KimberlyFDR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Fire 7, Fire HD 6, FireStick, Echo, Echo Dot, Echo Connect
Is the update going out in staggered release or should we all have gotten the update yesterday when we connected to wireless? I connected last night to pick up the day's purchases/files sent to my Kindle, but the update didn't come through. I'll try again tonight when I pick up the newest books/files, but just wondering if I need to leave the wireless running for a while or what?
KimberlyFDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 11:42 AM   #11
Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
I think Amazon just tries to keep all the OS components up-to-date. The update may also contain some bug fixes.
Concerning new features, there are two new images in the update - I wonder what they are used for.
Maybe the Kindle device can be turned into a time bomb now ?
I would like the time-to-read feature
Old 01-24-2013, 12:10 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
It's pretty neat feature but not always accurate. I do sometimes miss the gauge the K4 and K3 have.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Tabatha
Groupie
Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tabatha ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KTouch-PW-WIFI Galaxy Tablet 7 Plus 32gb Galaxy Player 5.0-4.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It's pretty neat feature but not always accurate. I do sometimes miss the gauge the K4 and K3 have.
I also prefer the progress bar. Easier to see than the % read which you need a magnifying glass to see. Does show progress bar under the title on the home page now tho, so maybe all isn't lost.
Tabatha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me! View Post
I would just like time to read! I haven't had time to even pick it up and read for the last two weeks!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I would just like time to read! I haven't had time to even pick it up and read for the last two weeks!
S
Awe that's not cool. If I don't read I get very stressed out. I can't sleep and I get on my husband's nerve. He even asks me when I read last now.