Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-19-2013, 12:15 PM   #196
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Could somebody please explain how the Kobo built-in collection names, like "Im_Reading" and "Shortlist" are handled?

I have a #myshelf column, with a few values prefixed with colons to force them to sort first in the shelf list (e.g., ":For review"), and those shelves get created fine, but if I set a value of "Im_Reading" or "Shortlist", no shelf is created (which is fine - I'm really just hoping to override Kobo's use of these, and don't need a shelf), but it appears the setting is completely ignored (which in turn means that they are being explicitly removed from the shelf list).

What I'm really trying to do is force my current reading list onto the shortlist, and can't see a way to do that without explicitly resending those books to the device.
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #197
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Unfortunately, the pseudo shelves "Im_Reading / Collection" etc are not available to us via calibre. What I have done though is make use of David's Kobo Utilities plugin to create a "Reading" (and a "Finished") shelf based on the percentage read of a book. See this post for how I did that.

Remember that you don't have to resend books for the shelving to change; as long as calibre is configured for Automatic Metadata management (Preferences | Sending books to devices | Metadata Management) the act of connecting the device to your PC and having calibre detect it is sufficient to force the shelving to be updated.

In fact, using David's Kobo Utility plugin, it's suffient to select the option in the plugin to "Refresh the list of books on the device" to force the shelving to be updated.

So now, to keep my lists current, my workflow is the following.
  1. Attach Kobo to PC
  2. Select all books in the Library view that have On Device set
  3. Right click and select Kobo Utilities | Store/Restore current bookmark
  4. Select the Store option
  5. Force the Kobo Utilities to Refresh the list of books on the device
  6. Eject the Kobo

(I should note that I have the Kobo Utilities plugin appearing on the Main toolbar / Main toolbar when a device is attached and The context menu for the books in the calibre library menus)

Now, my Finished and Reading shelves contain the most recent books I am reading, and have finished.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #198
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Unfortunately, the pseudo shelves "Im_Reading / Collection" etc are not available to us via calibre. What I have done though is make use of David's Kobo Utilities plugin to create a "Reading" (and a "Finished") shelf based on the percentage read of a book. See this post for how I did that.

Remember that you don't have to resend books for the shelving to change; as long as calibre is configured for Automatic Metadata management (Preferences | Sending books to devices | Metadata Management) the act of connecting the device to your PC and having calibre detect it is sufficient to force the shelving to be updated.

In fact, using David's Kobo Utility plugin, it's suffient to select the option in the plugin to "Refresh the list of books on the device" to force the shelving to be updated.

So now, to keep my lists current, my workflow is the following.
  1. Attach Kobo to PC
  2. Select all books in the Library view that have On Device set
  3. Right click and select Kobo Utilities | Store/Restore current bookmark
  4. Select the Store option
  5. Force the Kobo Utilities to Refresh the list of books on the device
  6. Eject the Kobo

(I should note that I have the Kobo Utilities plugin appearing on the Main toolbar / Main toolbar when a device is attached and The context menu for the books in the calibre library menus)

Now, my Finished and Reading shelves contain the most recent books I am reading, and have finished.
I updated all of my books using the same methodology, but it too several hours for the store restore bookmarks thing. Still not so bad if I remember to do it when I am reading a book on another reader.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #199
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

How many books do you have on the device?

I only have about 150 and my storing takes under 30 seconds. Of these 150 70 are on the Finished shelf, and 5 on the Reading shelf; so halg of the books on my device have statistics.
Old 06-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #200
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I updated all of my books using the same methodology, but it too several hours for the store restore bookmarks thing. Still not so bad if I remember to do it when I am reading a book on another reader.
From anyone else, I might think that "several hours" was hyperbole I have to admit that I haven't tried this with a lot of books. I think the most was about 100 after a factory reset. I usually just do a store whatever I am reading. And I haven't added Peter's shelves yet.

I assume you selected all the books in your library (more than 2400 I think) and ran the store. Did it take long to display the options dialog?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #201
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
From anyone else, I might think that "several hours" was hyperbole I have to admit that I haven't tried this with a lot of books. I think the most was about 100 after a factory reset. I usually just do a store whatever I am reading. And I haven't added Peter's shelves yet.

I assume you selected all the books in your library (more than 2400 I think) and ran the store. Did it take long to display the options dialog?
I actually did them in batches because it was taking forever so I decided to just do one book until I saw if it worked or not. Then I did 100, then I think 500, then I settled on 200 a batch.

And of course I didn't have to do them all anyway, just did for some reason.

The dialogue came up right away. And it was I think about 2609 books that I had on Aura.

This is not a complaint BTW. Just saying what happened. I still like the utility and PeterT's shelves.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 11:30 PM   #202
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I actually did them in batches because it was taking forever so I decided to just do one book until I saw if it worked or not. Then I did 100, then I think 500, then I settled on 200 a batch.

And of course I didn't have to do them all anyway, just did for some reason.

The dialogue came up right away. And it was I think about 2609 books that I had on Aura.

This is not a complaint BTW. Just saying what happened. I still like the utility and PeterT's shelves.
Thanks, it's good to get an idea of how long this takes. Right now, I don't feel that performance is a great issue, but I need to move some of the actions into background jobs to free the user interface. This will be the first one.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:46 PM   #203
sos_sifou
sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.sos_sifou knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kobo Glo
Took me a while to get it to work, but it works great at the end, thank you so much for the tutorial :-)
sos_sifou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:28 PM   #204
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Well, I have 744 books on my device (I mean, really, why would I not keep them ALL there? - I might want to read one of them!)

And I have nothing to do that will interfere with doing a "store", now, so let's see how long it takes.

: started store 20:34 (ADT)
: store completed sometime before 20:37 (it was so fast I missed it)
: restore started 20:39
: finished 20:44

8 minutes, and I missed both steps finishing.

Last edited by auspex; 06-20-2013 at 09:20 PM.
Old 06-20-2013, 10:22 PM   #205
auspex
Groupie

Incidentally, David, why is "Books updated" > "Total books"?
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.35
Kobo Utilities - Device library updated: Update summary:
Books updated=745
Books not on device=0
Total books=744
Old 06-20-2013, 11:53 PM   #206
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Well, I have 744 books on my device (I mean, really, why would I not keep them ALL there? - I might want to read one of them!)

And I have nothing to do that will interfere with doing a "store", now, so let's see how long it takes.

: started store 20:34 (ADT)
: store completed sometime before 20:37 (it was so fast I missed it)
: restore started 20:39
: finished 20:44

8 minutes, and I missed both steps finishing.
That isn't to bad. Putting this in a background job will work well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auspex View Post
Incidentally, David, why is "Books updated" > "Total books"?
Quote:
calibre, version 0.9.35
Kobo Utilities - Device library updated: Update summary:
Books updated=745
Books not on device=0
Total books=744
It usually means you have a book on the device twice. If I have a particular SD card in for testing, I have four copies: the purchased kepub and the sideloaded epub in the main memory and then a sideloaded kepub and the epub version on the SD card. Of course, it could mean that I can't count (DON"T ask my wife). If you don't have two copies of a book, tell me and I'll check. Was this the restore of the reading positions?
Old 06-21-2013, 10:29 AM   #207
auspex
Groupie

No, I certainly didn't consider it too bad. The full store/restore is not something I expect to be doing too often.

Yes, the mismatch on the counts was on the restore, and I almost certainly did still have two copies of something — I recently started using the Extended driver, and keep coming across copies where I have both a kepub and an epub.
Old 06-28-2013, 05:51 AM   #208
Charlie 468
Charlie 468 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
bookshelves

First off thanks for all the support on this forum. Secondly, sorry for not getting this yet.

I've just got a new kobo glo and am trying to organise it. At the moment all my books (several hundred) appear in the library individually in order of author. I would like these to be in a folder for each author - and I'm thinking that I should use bookshelves. My old ereader (an iriver) did this automatically.

Is that right? and if so what should I put in the various fields. I've now got a column in calibre that is headed My Shelves - but there's nothing in it. I'm trying to avoid having to re-enter lots of fields in the metadata.

Thanks
Charlie 468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:41 AM   #209
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer

When you "hover" over the various fields shown in the UI (at the top of the displayed info) calibre will show a tooltip that lists the field name.

So, when you hover over the Author info it displays The lookup/search name is "authors". So all you would do is in the Kobo device driver configuration box where you supply the info for shelving just type in authors without the leading # sign.

So I just tried with the following fields listed #myshelves, #readstatus, series, #newsshelf, authors and all worked as expected. I doubt you will have that many fields; I just tend to experiment and try out rules as people as questions
Old 06-28-2013, 10:46 AM   #210
Charlie 468
Charlie 468 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Thanks Peter - worked a treat.

Charlie
Charlie 468 is offline   Reply With Quote