Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Editor

Notices

Old 07-13-2019, 03:14 PM   #1
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
SVG editor

I've been using

https://www.codecogs.com/latex/eqneditor.php

in order to make the LaTeX to replace poor quality JPGs, GIFs, PNGs, etc. of equations with an SVG image.

Working well, but when I import the SVG into a epub, I get what looks like a lot of vector paths. The result is good, but if I have to correct something, I have to start over at codecogs.

Is there a way to save the SVG differently in the epub-- preferably as the 'raw' LaTeX -- so that I could just paste it into codecogs, fix, and resave?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	232
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	172383  
phossler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
No, EPUB has no support for LaTeX, it allows only HTML and SVG.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2019, 09:11 AM   #3
phossler
Wizard
phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phossler ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Does the img tag have a field that I could 'hide' the LaTeX in to be recalled and reused if I need to correct by pasting it back into codecogs?

The only thing I could come up with is to use the alt=" " but I'm not sure if that might cause problems somewhere else

Any other ideas?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	209
Size:	49.8 KB
ID:	172386  
Old 07-14-2019, 10:34 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Use a comment

<!--- whatever -->
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 04:26 PM   #5
thiago.eec
Guru
thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thiago.eec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by phossler View Post
Does the img tag have a field that I could 'hide' the LaTeX in to be recalled and reused if I need to correct by pasting it back into codecogs?

The only thing I could come up with is to use the alt=" " but I'm not sure if that might cause problems somewhere else

Any other ideas?
Do not hack the alt attribute like that. That will ruin the user experience in terms of accessibility (imagine a blind user hearing that as the image description).

@kovid suggestion is the way to go, so it will stay hidden and not mess with your code.
thiago.eec is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2019, 05:05 PM   #6
phossler
Wizard

@KG -- A <!---LaTex --> it is. Thanks

@thiago.eec -- good point, that's why I wanted to ask. In my case however I mostly just edit/reformat books to make them the way I like to read them on my PaperWhite. Still, I like to do things the right way

Thanks for the tips
Old 07-22-2019, 12:59 PM   #7
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiago.eec View Post
Do not hack the alt attribute like that. That will ruin the user experience in terms of accessibility (imagine a blind user hearing that as the image description).

I gave an example in this post of how I currently use HTML Comments with LaTeX forumlas (and good alt attributes too):

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...50#post3655650
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 09:28 AM   #8
phossler
Wizard

Very nice -- FWIW I created a snippet to insert the comment tags, and position the cursor ready to past in the LaTeX formula