Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 09-13-2011, 05:56 PM   #1
neverborn
neverborn began at the beginning.

Device: eee slate
Calibre reader on touch screen PC

Hello.

A while back i posted about using Calibre's built in reader on a touch screen PC. So that the portable PC itself becomes an e-reader.

I have looked around at how touch screens work and how to add touch screen support to the Calibre reader. Touch screens act just like mouse input on a windows based PC. Windows feeds the input to applications using the same commands I believe.

I have a development request for Calibre. Could the reader text display frame be made mouse click sensitive? A mouse click to the lower right corner of the "page" to advance the book to the next page, and the lower left to go back a page.

If i am correct then this function will work the same if a mouse is used, or a touch screen on a tablet PC.

Would someone be willing to attempt this?
neverborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by neverborn View Post
Hello.

A while back i posted about using Calibre's built in reader on a touch screen PC. So that the portable PC itself becomes an e-reader.

I have looked around at how touch screens work and how to add touch screen support to the Calibre reader. Touch screens act just like mouse input on a windows based PC. Windows feeds the input to applications using the same commands I believe.

I have a development request for Calibre. Could the reader text display frame be made mouse click sensitive? A mouse click to the lower right corner of the "page" to advance the book to the next page, and the lower left to go back a page.

If i am correct then this function will work the same if a mouse is used, or a touch screen on a tablet PC.

Would someone be willing to attempt this?
What is wrong with tapping the Green (page turn) Arrows ?

BTW the tool bar can be relocated to the Right or Left edge of the reader.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
What is wrong with tapping the Green (page turn) Arrows ?

BTW the tool bar can be relocated to the Right or Left edge of the reader.
My arrows are purple and the tool bar can also go to the top or the bottom.

It would be nice in the original poster's case to be able to place the left and right page buttons separately where you would like them.

Of course first the OP has to confirm if the existing arrows work as they expect them to.

It would also be nice if you could click on the left or right side of the page to turn your page.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 11:09 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Clicking on the page has other uses, like selecting text. For a touch screen the proper solution is to add support for gestures (swiping). Unfortunately, to do that, I need a touch screen device that can run calibre.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 01:33 AM   #5
neverborn

thanks for the reply, yes the purple buttons on the side tool bar do work.

But they are much to small to be used easily by hand/finger. I have to use the pen for those.

I did notice the current text select feature in the read window. Could this be toggled on/off as needed?
Advert
Old 09-14-2011, 03:12 AM   #6
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
maybe on the new Kindle android-ish tablet, when it is released ( as I doubt that Amazon will provide an epub reader ). the predicted spec is powerful enough to run calibre ?

is it lots of work to separate the reader app from the main calibre app - i.e. to make a reader-only lite version for touch pads ? the reader app does not change in most weekly updates so there would be less need to replace it frequently ?
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:11 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverborn View Post
I did notice the current text select feature in the read window. Could this be toggled on/off as needed?
I'd rather not spend time implementing partial solutions that will eventually have to be redone anyway.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:45 PM   #8
neverborn

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
I'd rather not spend time implementing partial solutions that will eventually have to be redone anyway.

I understand. Could there at least be an option or way to make the page turn buttons on the side tool bar (the purple buttons) much larger? As they are they are to small to use on a touch screen without the pen.

Maybe they could be adjustable?

Also, do you have a long term plan for touch based support in the reader?

Thank you for your hard work on this application.
Old 09-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Adding touch support is very easy, provided I get my hands on a touchscreen device capable of running calibre. Currently, I cannot justify spending hundreds of dollars just for this. So until that happens, you will have to use another viewer.

There is no easy way to make just the page turn buttons larger. It would have to be all the buttons and that would make the toolbar unusable (most of the buttons would get hidden).
Old 11-09-2011, 05:20 PM   #10
MattRaven
MattRaven began at the beginning.

Device: Win 7 Tablet
How about...

How about a feature, function, or plugin that would allow you to turn the page by single-clicking on the page? Click the Right side of the page to turn forward, click the Left side of the page to turn backwards.

I too have a Windows 7 Touchscreen Tablet (the Acer Iconia W500). It is very frustrating trying to touch the tiny little arrow button on the screen to turn the page.

This solution should be easy to implement, and would benefit all Windows Calibre users. The ability to turn the page by clicking on the page, without having to be precise about it.

It sure would be a huge help to me.

Thanks!!!
MattRaven is offline   Reply With Quote