Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #1
tboe77
tboe77 began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2
Recommendations for a fan of Herbert's 'Dune' series.

Hi there, everybody. I'm looking for some sci-fi to read. My favorite sci-fi series is Frank Herbert's Dune series. I also enjoyed the prequels & sequels written by his son and Kevin Anderson, but I enjoyed Frank Herberts novels the most.

Can anyone recommend something comparable?

Thank you.

Last edited by tboe77; 05-04-2010 at 11:04 PM. Reason: Forgot my manners and had to add the "Thank you".
tboe77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 11:05 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
What do you like about them?

Maybe look into...
"Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville
"The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Have you tried the Literature Map? Sometimes I find authors there I hadn't considered before. Doesn't help much with book titles, but it's a start.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:15 AM   #4
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
For whatever reason, in my mind I place the Dune series within a similar subjective genre as the Hyperion Cantos (four books*) by Dan Simmons. It's possible you might too.

Cheers,
Marc

* - Hyperion
- The Fall of Hyperion
- Endymion
- The Rise of Endymion
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:29 AM   #5
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
I couldn't get past the inconsistencies in the post-Herbert novels to read them.

Frank Herbet wrote a number of novels --- read them yet?

C.J. Cherryh's Alliance-Union novels are more closely - tied to current history than Herbert's but similar in scope.

Classic post- apocalypse books have a similar meta-historical feel --- so try Andre Norton, &c.
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 01:02 PM   #6
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Maybe some of Heinlein. Or Asimov's Foundation series. I like that Dan Simmons recommendation too.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:05 PM   #7
tboe77

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
What do you like about them?

Maybe look into...
"Perdido Street Station" by China Mieville
"The Forever War" by Joe Haldeman

That question is hard to answer (but many good questions are).

I guess what I liked is how Herbert brought so many elements together. Technology, biology, ecology, physics, psychology, anthropology, religion, politics, history.... He brought all these things together to create a version of humanity thousands of years distant from the present day, and yet it still felt very connected to present day. The characters were great. I really liked the element of replacing machines with humans who were mutated and engineered for different purposes.

I found Brian Herbert and Kevin Anderson's Dune novels to be entertaining, but they just didn't have the depth that Frank Herbert's novels had.
Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 PM   #8
tboe77

Thanks, everybody for your recommendations.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:16 PM   #9
tboe77

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
For whatever reason, in my mind I place the Dune series within a similar subjective genre as the Hyperion Cantos (four books*) by Dan Simmons. It's possible you might too.

Cheers,
Marc

* - Hyperion
- The Fall of Hyperion
- Endymion
- The Rise of Endymion
Any idea where I might get these titles for Kindle? Amazon doesn't have them.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:19 PM   #10
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post
Sorry, I've no idea, but perhaps someone else will be along shortly with a suggestion or answer. (I read them years ago as pbooks)

Cheers,
Marc
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:27 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by tboe77 View Post
Random House hasn't made them available for purchase as ebooks.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 12:48 PM   #12
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
The Cosmic Computer
by H. Beam Piper
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 04:10 PM   #13
WillAdams
Wizard
WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillAdams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite (300ppi), Samsung Galaxy Book 12
The fuller version is available here in an omnibus edition:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11374

William
(_The Cosmic Computer_ was the first book I stayed up after bedtime to finish as a child)
WillAdams is offline   Reply With Quote