Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 12-12-2012, 02:57 AM   #1
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Features for Vision-Impaired Coming to Fire Early Next Year

“Voice Guide” and “Explore by Touch” Coming to Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD 7” Early Next Year

Quote:
For years features such as text-to-speech and adjustable font sizes have helped vision-impaired Kindle owners enjoy books more easily and those with learning disabilities to improve their reading skills. Today, Amazon announced that it is bringing “Voice Guide” and “Explore by Touch”—two new accessibility features previously available on Kindle Fire HD 8.9”—to its new standard definition Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD 7”. These features help vision-impaired customers to more easily navigate the menus and content on the device, enjoy books and audiobooks, and listen to music. These features have been available with Kindle Fire HD 8.9” since its release and will be made available on the standard definition Kindle Fire and Kindle Fire HD 7” early next year.
Me thinks Amazon is feeling the pressure from organizations for the visually impaired. Regardless, it's a positive and welcomed step toward improved accessibility.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:42 AM   #2
JakesFriend
Jakes Friend
JakesFriend began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite1
Great idea!

I'm glad to see Amazon is at least trying to support those with low vision. I've been searching for a device that will play audiobooks and/or read books aloud that I can give to a friend with low vision. Most devices are way too complicated or otherwise limited, but the Kindle Fire should, I hope, at least be a step in the right direction.
Someday someone will develop a device that's easy to work with for those who don't see very well. Easy to learn, shop for content, load with books (etc.), and navigate. A tall order, but I'm certain it can be done!
JakesFriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #3
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakesFriend View Post
I'm glad to see Amazon is at least trying to support those with low vision. I've been searching for a device that will play audiobooks and/or read books aloud that I can give to a friend with low vision. Most devices are way too complicated or otherwise limited, but the Kindle Fire should, I hope, at least be a step in the right direction.
Someday someone will develop a device that's easy to work with for those who don't see very well. Easy to learn, shop for content, load with books (etc.), and navigate. A tall order, but I'm certain it can be done!
Apple already does this on their iPads, i Phones, and iPod touches. To what extent, I don't know. At this point, Amazon is playing catch up in order to get their devices and ebooks into the schools.

The timing is interesting, because the National Federation of the Blind is planning a protest today outside of Amazon's headquarters in Seattle.

Make Kindle E-books Accessible - Protest Action

We'll see what further steps Amazon takes in response to this. The pressure is on.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #4
jswinden
Nameless Being

Android is a pile of pooh when it comes to navigating the menus. I seriously doubt anything Amazon adds will help with that. At best they will probably add some voice navigation for buying content FROM AMAZON! I doubt this is anything to get excited about.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I hope that Amazon figures out a better way. I like VoiceOver, but it's a PITA to use. The Kindle Keyboard has a better way of doing it.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2012, 10:21 AM   #6
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I like to see them do something for the Deaf! Streaming movies is great BUT why dont they have Close Caption? Sucks!
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote