Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 01-07-2008, 09:13 AM   #46
bob315
Enthusiast
bob315 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Harry,

Many thanks for this enjoyable treasure trove.

WRT proofing errors, I have a few questions for this book specifically (and for all books in general, if anyone knows):

- Are corrections based on the e-text alone useful, or only if checked against the paper source? I.e. is "this looks wrong" worth submitting?
- Are there particular books/stories in this collection that you would like help proofing?
- Do you have a preferred format for corrections to be submitted?

Cheers,
Bob
bob315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2008, 09:53 AM   #47
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I'd prefer to just carry on going through this particular book myself, Bob. I'll get there in the end! If you find anything I've missed in the three novels that I've proofed so far, though, then please do let me know!

Both comparisons against paper versions and spotting simple typos are very valuable. One thing to be aware of with SH in particular is that there are minor differences between the British and American texts; I've taken the British text to be my "definitive" version.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2008, 03:14 PM   #48
bob315
Enthusiast

I just started reading "The Adventure of the Cardboard Box" and it seemed familiar. Using the Kindle search feature, I found that it shares several pages in common with "The Resident Patient." Is this correct?
Old 01-10-2008, 02:21 AM   #49
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've read the whole thing through myself, and there doesn't seem to be any "break" in the story, indicating that something might be misplaced. I've not yet checked this story against a printed version, though, I'm afraid.

Do you have a printed book yourself that you could check against?
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 AM   #50
bob315
Enthusiast

I found the scanned passages online at google and the author does appear to have repeated material in the two stories. How odd.
Advert
Old 01-10-2008, 08:20 AM   #51
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob315 View Post
I found the scanned passages online at google and the author does appear to have repeated material in the two stories. How odd.
http://www.sherlockian.net/canon/klinger.html discusses the duplicated text.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:34 AM   #52
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Interesting. I guess that Dr. Watson (or his literary agent, Conan Doyle) got a little confused . Thanks for the link, Sparrow.
Old 01-10-2008, 05:19 PM   #53
bob315
Enthusiast

Sparrow, thanks.

Harry, if you have free time, it might be nice to add a notes section to the ebook including:

- a mention of the duplicated text
- Sparrow's link
- a link to this thread so people remember where they got the book (took me a few minutes)
- the version number so folks know when there is a newer one
- maybe some credits: you, the scanner, etc.

Cheers,
Bob
Old 03-13-2008, 05:18 AM   #54
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Proofed and corrected "The Valley of Fear". This was in a reasonable state, with only a few minor typos. The main thing I've done is restored the original British Edition text (it was previously the American version).

That's all the novels done. On to the short stories now.

Uploaded v7.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:44 PM   #55
AshW
Connoisseur
AshW doesn't litterAshW doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
I read abridged Holmes stories as a kid. Looking forward to revisiting them in their proper form as an adult. My first download from this site. thanks for the work that went into it.
AshW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #56
helkenny
helkenny began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader PRS-505/SC
Thanks
helkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 07:19 AM   #57
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Fully proof-read and corrected "The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes". Uploaded v8.
Old 03-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #58
ndgunner
ndgunner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, WinMo 6.1 Phone
Save as other formats?

HarryT,

I grew up LOVING Sherlock Holmes, and would love to read the books again on my ebook reader. Would you be willing to save your file in the .mobi format as well? There's no way to convert from the .lrf format to the .mobi without losing all of the hard work you've put in to make it great, but it should work from your raw source file...

Thank you!
ndgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2009, 12:59 PM   #59
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

It is available in MobiPocket format:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12677
Old 03-14-2009, 09:51 PM   #60
ndgunner
ndgunner began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, iPhone, WinMo 6.1 Phone
Thank you!
ndgunner is offline   Reply With Quote