Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-08-2018, 05:18 AM   #1
GeorgK
Enthusiast
GeorgK began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Aura HD; Kobo Aura H2O 2.Version V2
Kobo Aura HD / Calibre / Windows 7 - Plese Help!

I am using Calibre together with my Kobo Aura HD for many years on my Win7 PC. Hard and software of this PC are unaltered since years.
I never experienced any trouble with Kobo, Calibre and Windows working together.
A few weeks ago I sideloaded (as always) the latest firmware version for my Reader (FW 4.8.11073). It may be by chance but since then my PC crashes, when I connect the Kobo with the PC unseen what USB port is used.
Connecting it to another PC works fine.

Any idea what I should do to get my PC and my Kobo working together again?

Regards
Georg
GeorgK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 11:15 AM   #2
ReaLx3m
Groupie
ReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beautyReaLx3m does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura One, Pocketbook Inkpad 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgK View Post
I am using Calibre together with my Kobo Aura HD for many years on my Win7 PC. Hard and software of this PC are unaltered since years.
I never experienced any trouble with Kobo, Calibre and Windows working together.
A few weeks ago I sideloaded (as always) the latest firmware version for my Reader (FW 4.8.11073). It may be by chance but since then my PC crashes, when I connect the Kobo with the PC unseen what USB port is used.
Connecting it to another PC works fine.

Regards
Georg
Easiest would be to first try a different cable, it could have developed a break and its shorting the usb port.
If that doesnt work, then roll back to the previous firmware you had and see if the behavior persists so you know for sure if its the firmware's fault(which i doubt, but who knows)
ReaLx3m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 02:48 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
I'm guessing your PC has USB ports on the front and back. I've found that (sometimes) when a device isn't recognized on the front USB ports, it will be recognized when plugged into the back USB ports (which are connected directly to the motherboard.) I'm guessing a slight difference in voltage could be all it takes. (It seems like Kobos are a little touchier about this then other Readers.)
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:46 AM   #4
GeorgK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm guessing your PC has USB ports on the front and back. I've found that (sometimes) when a device isn't recognized on the front USB ports, it will be recognized when plugged into the back USB ports
Well, at least sometimes it has been detected when changing to another port.
After a few tries it now crashes on every port.

Of course I did change the cable first.

Thx for your hints
Georg
Old 07-09-2018, 05:52 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Well, at least sometimes it has been detected when changing to another port.
After a few tries it now crashes on every port.
Sorry to hear that. As suggested in another thread, possibly getting a powered USB hub would help. But I don't know why new firmware would require more power than older firmware, so there may be (probably is) something else at work here.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 01:33 AM   #6
GeorgK
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
... possibly getting a powered USB hub would help...
Thank you. That will be my next try...

Regards
Georg
Old 07-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #7
Alias50
Alias50 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Does this happen irrespective of whether calibre is running or not? If it happens only when calibre is running, make sure it's updated to the latest version. I was quite a ways behind on updates when I first got my Kobo and calibre wouldn't recognize it until I updated.

If it's failing on connection every time then it's probably a hardware problem. Are other USB devices recognized? One thing I might suggest is using a different OS (live CD or vm) and see if it fails there as well. That would indicate a software/config problem with your OS and not your hardware.
Alias50 is offline   Reply With Quote