Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 04-04-2018, 02:34 PM   #1
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Transfer notations to computer? (Inkpad 3)

For pure reading I'm pretty much still happy with my old Kobo. But I read a lot of non-fiction and want to do hightlights (and take some notes). These I of course want to transfer to the computer.

Reading this thread makes me a bit worried that it wont work.

Could someone with an Inkpad 3 test doing some hightlights and some notes and transfer them to a computer?

Thanks
patrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 09:55 AM   #2
geras
geras began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Inkpad 3 PB740 FW: 5.17
It doesn't work for me in my InkPad 3 and the PocketBook support told me:

"At the moment, the function of transferring notes and highlights to the PC is temporarily disabled. We expect this possibility to be implemented in one of the next software versions. Unfortunately, the information about the date is not available at the moment."

It might help if you also drop them an email requesting this feature at help@pocketbook-int.com.
geras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 10:07 AM   #3
patrik
Guru
patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. Yes, I have contacted support and they said it was due in september.

Strange that such a feature is not higher on the prio list. Are we that read non-fiction and use highlighting so few?
Old 07-12-2018, 04:47 AM   #4
retrography
retrography is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2 / PocketBook Inkpad 3 / Kindle Paperwhite 3
It is funny that you can buy an Onyx Android reader and run the full-featured Android version of PocketBook app on it and enjoy syncing with cloud sync and dropbox with no hassle while PocketBook's own devices still run clunky software that is a pain to configure and miss the most important features of their Android apps. Tell me about terrible product strategy.

I'm probably better off sending the Inkpad back and purchase a more multi-purpose reader with real software support.

By the way, the highlight syncing feature was originally scheduled for 2nd Q 2018, now they are claiming it will be reader in 3Q or 4Q. Do they deserve my trust? How is their track record in delivering the features on the roadmap?
retrography is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2018, 06:33 AM   #5
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
I use Coolreader with my PB devices. When you highlight something, it is written into a note file. No annotations possible, thought. Maybe KoReader would be a possibility there.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 11:28 AM   #6
patrik
Guru

Ok, thanks.

To be honest, one thing that suprises me a bit with Pocketbook, is that practically everyone (that are active on forums, which are not many unfortunally) seems to be using a non-stock reader. Is the one that Pocketbook supplies that bad?
Old 07-15-2018, 12:23 PM   #7
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I use the stock applications for EPUBs and PDFs. They are only bad if they are missing some features that you think are important. I guess those with strong opinions about such features also tend to be vocal about them.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 01:30 PM   #8
wirtold
wirtold began at the beginning.

Device: InkPad 840, InkPad 740
@rkomar: Would you open this file?

http://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf

I am also using stock applications for viewing epub and pdfs, but since some version (can't remember which one) this document is displayed on my Inkpad 1 and Inkpad 3 with very strange and uncomfortable font. It happens only on my Inkpads, on any other device (phone, pc with Adobe Reader, FF) it is looking good.

It looks like some font substitution is not working well. And I am thinking: maybe it is possible to upload own font with some correct name, and it will take precedence over this strange font?
wirtold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2018, 03:52 PM   #9
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It looks strange to me, as well. I don't know if it's a font substitution problem, or a font rendering problem. I've looked at the fonts installed on my Inkpad 1, and none of them look like what is shown in the PDF file. I wonder if it is a problem with how one of the embedded fonts is being rendered?
Old 07-15-2018, 04:12 PM   #10
wirtold

Yes, my first thought was that it is embedded font, but the same problem also occurs in other documents, for example:

https://www.intel.com/content/dam/ww...e-usb-xhci.pdf

Document looks OK, but this font can be seen on some figures, for example on page 407, "Figure 5-25: Interrupter Register Set".

So, if there is no such font, it indeed looks like a font rendering bug.
Old 07-15-2018, 06:58 PM   #11
rkomar
Wizard

That second document has the same embedded fonts as the earlier one. I used okular to get the font information from both.

What's strange to me is that I have read quite a few technical PDFs on my device (including some from ARM and NXP), and have never seen this behaviour before. Maybe I was just lucky.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:40 AM   #12
wirtold

I think, without document from Agner Fog, I would never see this problem. Thank you very much! I hope someone from Pocketbook reads this forum.
Old 07-29-2018, 11:05 AM   #13
retrography
retrography is on a distinguished road

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2 / PocketBook Inkpad 3 / Kindle Paperwhite 3
PocketBook's native reader has quite some trouble with embedded fonts. That also shows up when reading Adobe ClearScan books. It does read them correctly, but then it doesn't recognize their content as text from time to time (so, no highlight, on no dictionary search). I contacted the customer support the other day to ask them about this as well as the other bugs (e.g. lack of support for jbig2 compression), and they responded with a bunch of claptrap. KOReader does these all too well. The only problem is that no other program can read its sidecar files. There is no way to create a workflow between a macOS, and iOS and a PocketBook device with highlight syncing enabled.

Last edited by retrography; 08-25-2018 at 01:02 PM.
retrography is offline   Reply With Quote