Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-15-2021, 01:33 PM   #1
cm1
Enthusiast
cm1 doesn't littercm1 doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook
Question Kobo Libra H20 vs Kobo Clara HD vs Pocketbook Touch HD3

I'm mostly settled on getting one of these three devices. Any opinions?

I've narrowed down my last few questions to these issues which I haven't been able to find answers for: multiple profiles, stretching/zooming into images, bypassing oobe/registrations, screen fragility, and dark mode.

Are multiple profiles supported on these three? I'm wondering if multiple users can create their own profiles at once like on the nook, where each user can switch to their profile and have their own "recently read", bookmarks, etc. shown.

Can they stretch/zoom images like ones embedded in epubs?

Can their oobe/registration screens be easily bypassed (I intend to sideload files)?

I heard that Pocketbook has some screen fragility issues, any comments?

Does anyone know if these devices support dark mode (white text on dark backgrounds)?

Thanks in advance.
cm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 01:59 PM   #2
rantanplan
Guru
rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rantanplan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite (2021), Boox Note Air 2+, Kobo Clara 2E, Tolino Vision 6
Pocketbook:
- Doesn't require registration
- Multiple user profiles
- Zoom present (a bit slow)
- Haven't tried to break the screen yet

Kobo:
- Requires registration (there is a tedious way to get around that)
- Single user
- Not sure about zoom, didn't try any pdf
rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 02:55 PM   #3
cm1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantanplan View Post
Pocketbook:
- Doesn't require registration
- Multiple user profiles
- Zoom present (a bit slow)

Kobo:
- Requires registration (there is a tedious way to get around that)
- Single user
- Not sure about zoom, didn't try any pdf
Thanks, rantanplan!
Old 01-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
With Kobo, you can zoom images in kepubs, but not in epubs.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Please stop with the registration paranoia. Focus on what matters.

Of the three, I prefer the Kobo because of the larger 7" screen. The Clara HD and the Touch HD3 is a 6" screen and not not as nice (IMHO) to read with.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:02 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no registration paranoia to stop.

Please stop your spewing of orders.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:24 PM   #7
cm1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
With Kobo, you can zoom images in kepubs, but not in epubs.
Thanks for the clarification!
Old 01-15-2021, 04:25 PM   #8
cm1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It matters to me.

Quote:
Of the three, I prefer the Kobo because of the larger 7" screen. The Clara HD and the Touch HD3 is a 6" screen and not not as nice (IMHO) to read with.
Thanks!
Old 01-15-2021, 04:39 PM   #9
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
I've had both a Clara and a Libra, and would recommend the Libra. The bigger screen is great, and I love the buttons. Getting around the Kobo registration is NOT that "tedious" at all, it simply requires a fake email address. zxjoanw@nosuchword.com would work fine

I have no experience with the Pocketbook, but if you do choose a Kobo, you would not regret either one. Clara HD is a great little reader, the Libra a great not-so-little reader.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 04:47 PM   #10
cm1
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
I've had both a Clara and a Libra, and would recommend the Libra. The bigger screen is great, and I love the buttons. Getting around the Kobo registration is NOT that "tedious" at all, it simply requires a fake email address. zxjoanw@nosuchword.com would work fine

I have no experience with the Pocketbook, but if you do choose a Kobo, you would not regret either one. Clara HD is a great little reader, the Libra a great not-so-little reader.
I appreciate your insight!
Old 01-15-2021, 04:58 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are worried about the screen because it's glass, you can get a Kobo Forma with an 8" plastic backed screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2021, 05:20 PM   #12
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
it simply requires a fake email address. zxjoanw@nosuchword.com would work fine
Just for clarification, as far as I know, example.com is the only domain guaranteed not to exist and is recommended for uses such as the above.
Old 01-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #13
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Just for clarification, as far as I know, example.com is the only domain guaranteed not to exist and is recommended for uses such as the above.

-----------------------
This site can’t be reached
Check if there is a typo in www.nosuchword.com.
If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
Old 01-15-2021, 07:42 PM   #14
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
-----------------------
This site can’t be reached
Check if there is a typo in www.nosuchword.com.
If spelling is correct, try running windows network Diagnostics.
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN
Sorry to belabor, but part of the point is that just because a site doesn't exist (or is down) now doesn't mean that it won't someday. Think of the potential pain that could be caused by a book, TV show, or movie writer publishing a a random, but potentially valid, telephone number (even if checking first and getting a "not in service" message).

https://www.iana.org/domains/reserved
Old 01-15-2021, 08:06 PM   #15
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Sorry to belabor,
I doubt this is true.