Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 11-16-2008, 09:26 AM   #16
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
I haven't tried the New York Times app yet, but if you open Google Reader (in the built-in Safari browser) and then go offline, you can still read any of the items that were displayed (even if you didn't expand them from the preview). I found this pretty neat.
Yes, it does sound cool
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2008, 03:50 PM   #17
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Hi maxyn83,

I'll think you'll find an iPhone or iPod Touch to be exactly what your looking for. My wife and I used Sony Clies for ebook readers for years. I recently bought her a Touch and she loves it. Apparently I do too as she's laid the law down that I need to get one as well because I'm using hers way too much. For reading, Stanza on the iPhone with Calibre on the desktop is a great solution.

Cheers,
Crazy
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 01:39 AM   #18
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxyn83 View Post

But, reading on iTouch seems a bit complicated from what I've gathered in some posts... Can I just transfer my PDF files on iTouch and be able to read it or do I have to convert the PDF files? Any more info about how to use ereader/stanza on iTouch?
You can read this review that will answer on many questions and will help you to make decision about purchase:
Apple iPhone/Touch, Stanza and Project Gutenberg
http://www.pg-news.org/20081031/appl...ect-gutenberg/

I fully agree with this conclusion:

"If you’re a hardcore reader then I’d say this is not what you want as your sole eBook reading device, rather more as a supplementary reader.

For those of you who are casual readers, perhaps just reading for 20 minutes while on the train to work or waiting in the doctor’s office, then the iPhone or iPod Touch should be very satisfactory indeed."
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
It's just a standard web browser; you can read "cached" content off-line, as you can with any other browser.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:31 AM   #20
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
To give you another data point, my wife and I are hard core readers and have no issues whatsoever using PDA's and the iPhone/iPod Touch as our main reader, mp3 player, phone, gaming platform etc.
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2008, 03:19 PM   #21
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Good luck buying an iTouch as there is no such device.
Lets not quibble, its a common enough shorthand to call it an iTouch, that everyone knows what they are talking about.

Quote:
That said, the iPod Touch makes one heck of a poor eBook reader compared to a 6" eink reader. It'll be fine for music and video. But reading it through a haze of fingerprints is not my idea of fun.
Having read several books on the iPod Touch, I have to say that finger prints are not a huge issue (at least for me). Certainly they will be no more of an issue for reading than they would be for video.

I agree that the screen is a bit on the small side, but it is perfectly acceptable unless you need really large type. And it is balanced out by the fact that it easily fits into a shirt pocket. Even the 5" Jetbook is too large for that (Though it fits into pockets in my coat and jeans).

My personal thought would be that something that had two screens that folded together like a Nintendo DS (but with higher resolution and better functionality) mike make a dandy portable reader.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 11:22 PM   #22
tHeFiRsTiDioT
Random Reader of Rubbish
tHeFiRsTiDioT began at the beginning.

Device: Dell Axim X50v, Sony PRS 505, HTC Incredible, Pocketbook IQ
I read almost a book every couple of days, and my iPhone is my primary reader even though I do have a PDA as well as an eBookwise. Calibre on the desktop with Stanza on the iPhone/iTouch make a perfect combination.
I have a screen cover on mine, so there are no fingerprints left behind (even if there are, a single swipe with a piece of cloth is enough to get rid of them). The sharpness is just amazing, and you cannot beat it for portability. That being said, drawbacks include being a wee bit unwieldy since its so small, and a battery that lasts about 2 days with heavy phone, wifi and ebook usage.
tHeFiRsTiDioT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2008, 11:49 PM   #23
maxyn83
Enthusiast
maxyn83 began at the beginning.

Device: iphone 13pm
Hi everyone, thanks again for all your comments. I just bought an "ipod" touch and it's even better than I imagined! I've been having fun playing with it! First thing I did was to install Stanza and reading on it is great! I've never had a PDA or an ebook reader so I can't compare on the screen size but Stanza seems to be doing a good job for ebook reading. It's easy to turn the pages and you can even change the font size, color and background color. Also, iTunes store offers a lot of great FREE apps.

I'm a hard core reader and iTouch definitely rocks as a portable entertainment device!
maxyn83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2008, 04:20 AM   #24
Lanx
Enthusiast
Lanx began at the beginning.

Device: none
get air sharing, it was free for a long time, might be raised, but might be a special now for black friday, but at 7bucks it's still a steal, why? it's a transfer program, why is this good? it transfers PDFs to your itouch, no more wierd reading as cached, no more having a wifi signal it downloads to your touch. you get airsharing(thats the program name) you follow the setup(takes 3-5minutes for a barely competant person) and you can view your itouch in mynetwork neighborhood and transfer files easily, omg, you can even make folders! yea you can organize the whole thing. and guess what it's a reader as well, it views pdf's perfectly, and by perfectly i mean that it just looks nice.
Lanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:38 PM   #25
babygator
babygator began at the beginning.

Device: none
its very simple to use and just takes some practice.
babygator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:51 AM   #26
Alsicole
Connoisseur
Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alsicole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPhone 6, iPad Mini Retina,
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxyn83 View Post
Hi everyone, thanks again for all your comments. I just bought an "ipod" touch and it's even better than I imagined! I've been having fun playing with it! First thing I did was to install Stanza and reading on it is great! I've never had a PDA or an ebook reader so I can't compare on the screen size but Stanza seems to be doing a good job for ebook reading. It's easy to turn the pages and you can even change the font size, color and background color. Also, iTunes store offers a lot of great FREE apps.

I'm a hard core reader and iTouch definitely rocks as a portable entertainment device!
Glad you're enjoying your choice!

In response to several comments on here about the iPhone/iPod touch not being suitable for hardcore reading - I'm on the 5th of a series of books at the moment and I've been reading for a couple of hours a day for about 6 weeks now. The iPod touch is perfect - it has plenty of battery life, good adjustable backlight levels, adjustable colour scheme (eReader) and I can read with the light off and not disturb my husband.
Alsicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:49 AM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alsicole View Post
In response to several comments on here about the iPhone/iPod touch not being suitable for hardcore reading - I'm on the 5th of a series of books at the moment and I've been reading for a couple of hours a day for about 6 weeks now. The iPod touch is perfect - it has plenty of battery life, good adjustable backlight levels, adjustable colour scheme (eReader) and I can read with the light off and not disturb my husband.
But have you ever tried using an eInk device?

I read on PDAs for over 20 years, and like you, I have an iPod Touch, but there's just no comparison between the experience of reading on a 3.5" backlit LCD device and a 6" eInk device.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:43 PM   #28
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
You can open PDFs very very easily on the ipod touch, however I've had some very large PDFs with lots of images crash in it The Ipod touch is an awesome device though, there is so much you can do on it, music, audiobooks, internet, email, work, pdfs, movies, games. It's like you'll never get bored with one on you!
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 07:33 PM   #29
giddion
Connoisseur
giddion doesn't littergiddion doesn't litter

Device: samsung i910 now - cybook later
Can't say anything about reading on the touch, but I have no problems reading on my omnia which has a similar screen.

Off topic note, found out today if you install the fringe app you can connect to a vonage softphone account and have an unlimited use mobile phone - as long as you have WiFi.
giddion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 12:23 PM   #30
FlorenceArt
High Priestess
FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FlorenceArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro 9.7, iPhone 6 Plus
I also bought an iPod since I replied to this thread, and I enjoy it, it's a lot of fun. It's surprisingly comfortable reading on it, but I agree that it cannot replace my CyBook. I gave up reading books on it, but I use it daily to read the New York Times and Le Monde.
FlorenceArt is offline   Reply With Quote